[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baker Mayfield's good bye to Cleveland message

Wolverines Fan

18 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I love how everybody in here ripped me because I said he's not a franchise QB. Doesn't this validate my point? He can't get a job anywhere. 

18 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Uh, i didn't rip you. All i said was I'd much rather have baker than lock or Bridgeview

But i am surprised that CAR passed on him completely! And yes, that is telling

I think it is more related to the elevated price tag for qbs right now. The $$ and draft picks given are insane.

Take this with a few spoons of salt, while its labeled Browns Insider I'm not sure that the reporter has any real inside information, rarely breaks any big Browns news or sites actual people in the Browns organization as her source. Always some "league source".

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/browns-not-seeking-a-1st-rounder-for-baker-mayfield-his-trade-request-didnt-drive-deshaun-watson-deal-browns-insider.html

major takeaways

- Browns are not expecting a first round pick - DUH lucky to get a 2nd

- they won't pay a portion of his salary in a trade - They say that now, and may end up having to release him or hope for a camp inury

- Baker's trade talk and being unwilling to stay with Browns didn't drive late push for Watson - that I don't buy one bit (somehow they weren't really out of the running even after Watson said they were)

Some of these writers should move into politics, they sure can spin things. 

I don't believe there is any reason to release him now, if they cannot trade him they should wait until the last possible chance (before June 1) to avoid taking the cap hit. By then somebody might get hurt, or determine that they need his services and don't want to compete with others. Of course teams may push the Browns to take a portion of the cap, but they've said they won't do that and I agree unless they're getting some decent draft pick its not worth it. Just release him and let teams make him an offer. 

5 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I don't believe there is any reason to release him now, if they cannot trade him they should wait until the last possible chance (before June 1) to avoid taking the cap hit. By then somebody might get hurt, or determine that they need his services and don't want to compete with others. Of course teams may push the Browns to take a portion of the cap, but they've said they won't do that and I agree unless they're getting some decent draft pick its not worth it. Just release him and let teams make him an offer. 

I don't know all of the financials but at this point I'd probably wait as well. There's no hurry to make a move, Watson is locked up. I still can't imagine Seattle or maybe even Pitt starting the season without a QB. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

I don't know all of the financials but at this point I'd probably wait as well. There's no hurry to make a move, Watson is locked up. I still can't imagine Seattle or maybe even Pitt starting the season without a QB. 

The Browns are gonna have to release him and then the Steelers swoop in, grab him and win the division starting him. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

New Orleans?

That's been kicked around for a while. I wouldn't mind him backing up Winston, but it'd make a crowded QB room with Dalton already there. I don't think it would happen. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I see the reports about New Orleans but I can't see that happening. I still think the best fit for Mayfield is Seattle. I think he'd fit in pretty good there. 

I agree.

thought I saw a blurb about nos, but nothing confirmed 

What are the odds these rumors about Mayfield are either coming from his camp or the Browns camp?  

The Browns proactively backed themselves into a position of weakness.  No one is going to give up substantial trade value and Cleveland would need to eat salary.  

Seattle could be a fit, but he will likely come for almost free, if it happens.  The same brass signed Matt Flynn as the supposed starter in 2012 and cut him before the season started.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

What are the odds these rumors about Mayfield are either coming from his camp or the Browns camp

For sure, but there's no doubt the interest is there. Whoever it is will probably end up getting Cleveland to pay a nice chunk of his salary. I think Seattle makes perfect sense, they aren't serious with Drew Lock and aren't fooling anyone. 

13 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I think Seattle makes perfect sense, they aren't serious with Drew Lock and aren't fooling anyone. 

There are legitmate reasons to ride Geno Smith or Drew Lock for a year before drafting a QB in 2023. 

They don't need to convince anyone that Lock is a possible week 1 starter. He currently is.   You have watched the NFL long enough to understand the strategy of a 'rebuild'.....no?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

There are legitmate reasons to ride Geno Smith or Drew Lock for a year before drafting a QB in 2023. 

They don't need to convince anyone that Lock is a possible week 1 starter. He currently is.   You have watched the NFL long enough to understand the strategy of a 'rebuild'.....no?

It's called tanking, and yes I do agree. If I were them I'd be sure to go 0-17. Next year is one of the best QB classes EVER. Unfortunately your boy Carroll is 103 years old and not ready for a rebuild. 

Carolina and Seattle still make the most sense. Not sure what the source is of the news, or if it is real or not, but the latest I was seeing was that Seattle was still interested and even talking about giving him an extension if they sign him. 

Yes the Browns will eat a lot of salary, and not get much in return. But there will most likely be a trade at some point, he won't be cut out right. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Carolina and Seattle still make the most sense. Not sure what the source is of the news, or if it is real or not, but the latest I was seeing was that Seattle was still interested and even talking about giving him an extension if they sign him. 

Yes the Browns will eat a lot of salary, and not get much in return. But there will most likely be a trade at some point, he won't be cut out right. 

If they eat all or a big majority of his contract they'll at least get a better draft pick back. They'd basically be paying for a pick. 

On 6/25/2022 at 4:36 PM, League_Champion said:

It's called tanking, and yes I do agree. If I were them I'd be sure to go 0-17. Next year is one of the best QB classes EVER. Unfortunately your boy Carroll is 103 years old and not ready for a rebuild. 

I'm glad you agreed, before you disagreed.  Only to agree again. 

Carroll and John Schneider are locked in through the 2025 season.  After 2025, the Seahawks will be sold (this was in Paul Allen's will and what not).  That's 4 seasons.  

This is a full blown rebuild.  I don't know if Smith, Lock, Baker, or Janeane Garofalo will be starting QB during week 1.  But anyone brought in this year as QB will be on the cheap with a dart throw for the future.  

This is a rebuild mode brought on by the guy who is not ready for it.

Edited by Bobby Brown

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

I'm glad you agreed, before you disagreed.  Only to agree again. 

Carroll and John Schneider are locked in through the 2025 season.  After 2025, the Seahawks will be sold (this was in Paul Allen's will and what not).  That's 4 seasons.  

This is a full blown rebuild.  I don't know if Smith, Lock, Baker, or Janeane Garofalo will be starting QB during week 1.  But anyone brought in this year as QB will be on the cheap with a dart throw for the future.  

This is a rebuild mode brought on by the guy who is not ready for it.

I was the one that told you they were going to trade Russell, you laughed. This is in no way a teardown. If a full teardown, full rebuild DK is gone as well. They need to maximize his value as well before he wants Tyreek money. When that happens it's a total teardown. 

The latest Huddle News on Browns QB situation, reinforcing that it won't be Mayfield

https://tools.thehuddle.com/player/10442/jacoby-brissett

But then in the Huddle Up it says "we were at least holding out hope Mayfield would start in place of Watson if suspended. "   Most could tell you that was hopeless.

• 1 year later...

I'm happy for Baker, was pulling for the Bucs last night. But I'll be pulling for the Lions on Sunday.

Also still proud of how well my Browns played this year despite the many big injuries. I has hoped we'd win a playoff game, but had no illusions of a deep playoff run. Wasn't happy with the decision to get rid of Baker or auction our future for Watson. But still support my team.