[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2022 TE Breakout - Cole Kmet

darin3

This may be wishful thinking as a Bear fan, but I am targeting Cole Kmet as a breakout TE in 2022.  Rookie TE's rarely make any kind of impact, and he still managed 31 grabs for 259 yards and 2 TDs with a garbage offensive scheme in 2020.  Last year, with a rookie at the helm much of the year, he finished with 60 for 612.

With Allen Robinson gone, the Bears are going to be desperate for a chain-mover and second receiving option to Darnell Mooney.  It helps that his QB is both young and mobile: two traits that favor a TE of Kmet's caliber.

I have a feeling Kmet is going to take a hugh step forward this year, notably in his TD production.  He had ZERO TDs last season.  I would bet the receptions jump by 20%, yardage increases by 25% and he'll score 4-6 TDs.

You can find oodles of articles on him by the Googlez, but here's a good one that encapsulates some of the overall sentiment the football community has for the 3rd-year pro.  

If you miss on the top tier of TEs and you're looking at guys like Goedert, Henry, Ertz or Freiermuth, you can actually probably wait a round or two and nab Kmet instead and get a solid floor with more upside.

In a number of my best ball leagues, I've been targeting stacking him with Fields with both as my backup at their respective positions. I'm cautiously optimistic as well that the law of averages means he should score some this year (same logic I use with Pitts), and just the lack of options outside of Mooney and the RBs means that he should see a good target share, especially on options with Fields.

I also like Fields in best ball because he has that massive rushing upside that you don't need him to be a volume passer to be able to have those big fantasy weeks.

6 minutes ago, Big Country said:

In a number of my best ball leagues, I've been targeting stacking him with Fields with both as my backup at their respective positions. I'm cautiously optimistic as well that the law of averages means he should score some this year (same logic I use with Pitts), and just the lack of options outside of Mooney and the RBs means that he should see a good target share, especially on options with Fields.

I also like Fields in best ball because he has that massive rushing upside that you don't need him to be a volume passer to be able to have those big fantasy weeks.

Yeah.  I like Fields as a QB2 in most leagues and a high-upside 2nd starting QB in superflex leagues.  

I have a feeling one or both of these guys could be league winners this season.  Lots of upside here.

• 3 weeks later...

Speculative at best. He is not Top 10, maybe he gets into top 12. 

Of course his production will go up because Graham is gone. He does his best work moving the chains only.

Is he as good as Hockenson or Knox? I don't think so because the Bears offense will be trash and Kmet had plenty of chances to score last year. When it got to the red zone he failed to create any separation or route running that a nickle or LB couldn't cover.

16 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Speculative at best. He is not Top 10, maybe he gets into top 12. 

Of course his production will go up because Graham is gone. He does his best work moving the chains only.

Is he as good as Hockenson or Knox? I don't think so because the Bears offense will be trash and Kmet had plenty of chances to score last year. When it got to the red zone he failed to create any separation or route running that a nickle or LB couldn't cover.

This is part one of why I like him.  There is no slot receiver or other chain-mover on this team.  On top of it, Mooney is not a legit #1.  He's a #1b or #2.  

Part two of why I like him is even despite the lack of TDs, he got a good number of targets in the red zone last year.  It's not like he's being ignored there.

I'd take Hockenson over him, sure.  But Knox?  I'd rather take Kmet a couple rounds later.  Same amount of risk/upside IMO.

These are the awesome pre-season conversations that make this forum great.  Not the BS we see from "some other" posters.  Still can't believe y'all just don't use the ignore feature.  :shrug:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

This is part one of why I like him.  There is no slot receiver or other chain-mover on this team.  On top of it, Mooney is not a legit #1.  He's a #1b or #2.  

Part two of why I like him is even despite the lack of TDs, he got a good number of targets in the red zone last year.  It's not like he's being ignored there.

I'd take Hockenson over him, sure.  But Knox?  I'd rather take Kmet a couple rounds later.  Same amount of risk/upside IMO.

These are the awesome pre-season conversations that make this forum great.  Not the BS we see from "some other" posters.  Still can't believe y'all just don't use the ignore feature.  :shrug:  

I find my self nodding over many parts of this post. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, gilthorp said:

Through 2 games, this has to be the worst hot take ever. We all do it, but this guy is a complete waste.

Ouch. 

12 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Through 2 games, this has to be the worst hot take ever. We all do it, but this guy is a complete waste.

He's no Drew Sample.

And I wasn't the only person to have this "hot take".  To be honest, it wasn't that "hot" of a take.  It was a reach in a shallow pool position-wise. 

Also, they've played two of the more solid defenses in the NFC the first two weeks.

Not sure why Fields won't look his way more.  I saw him wide open on at least 2 plays last night; would have gone for 10-12 yards and Fields just missed him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, darin3 said:

He's no Drew Sample.

And I wasn't the only person to have this "hot take".  To be honest, it wasn't that "hot" of a take.  It was a reach in a shallow pool position-wise. 

Also, they've played two of the more solid defenses in the NFC the first two weeks.

Not sure why Fields won't look his way more.  I saw him wide open on at least 2 plays last night; would have gone for 10-12 yards and Fields just missed him.

Because Fields played against him in HS and said he wasn't all that.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, darin3 said:

OMG I had to go look at the stats to get a sense of just how bad it was last night... Fields threw the ball 11 times.   ELEVEN.

:lol: 

That is 6 fewer times than during the torrential rain of their first game. 

The Bears ran 41 offensive plays (GB 68), 11 passes 27 runs (not sure what the other 3 were).

One of 7 on 3rd down.