[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What’s a bad beat in FF?

Jaxfactor904

I’ll explain. So I had 2 QBs on my roster. Stafford(who hasn’t been good) and Dak. Someone cut Dak a few weeks back and I decided to stash him until he returned. My opponent this week didn’t have a backup QB and his was on a bye. I had an earlier waiver pick than he did and being that Matty Ice was the only thing resembling a decent play I scooped him up. Was nice to see someone else scooped up Mariotta before him also. I left my bye week Defense vacant. Was going to cut Ryan right before kickoff Sunday so he couldn’t pick him up and then fill in my D. Well, when I saw that he picked up Dalton I thought I was in good shape. I had Kamara going Thursday night. Dalton drops 45 points against me to Kamara’s 14. Our league gives bonus points for long TD passes and 5 points for TD passes. I am pissed at myself . If there’s any consolation, if Dak didn’t suit up I was covered but geeez!  FF can be cruel as hell sometimes. Rant over.

Edited by Jaxfactor904

2 minutes ago, Jaxfactor904 said:

I’ll explain. So I had 2 QBs on my roster. Stafford(who hasn’t been good) and Dak. Someone cut Dak a few weeks back and I decided to stash him until he returned. My opponent this week didn’t have a backup QB and his was on a bye. I had an earlier waiver pick than he did and being that Marty Ice was the only thing resembling a decent play I scooped him up. Was nice to see someone else scooped up Marietta before him also. I left my bye week Defense vacant. Was going to cut Ryan right before kickoff Sunday so he couldn’t pick him up and then fill in my D. Well, when I saw that he picked up Dalton I thought I was in good shape. I had Kamara going Thursday night. Dalton drops 45 points against me to Kamara’s 14. Our league gives bonus points for long TD passes and 5 points for TD passes. I am pissed at myself . If there’s any consolation, if Dak didn’t suit up I was covered but geeez!  FF can be cruel as hell sometimes. Rant over.

I don't get why you're pissed at yourself? 

1 minute ago, Jaxfactor904 said:

Because I really didn’t have to do that waiver move. I did it more as a defensive move. I’m pretty sure he would have picked up Ryan instead of Dalton.

Gotcha. I generally don't try and block other people from acquiring players, the $2 per roster move in our league cuts down on that. 

Frankly I think churning rosters like that is just bush league.  I want my best team to go up against the other persons best team.  Very empty victory to know you won because you blocked them from getting player.  No fun in that.  I like hearing stories of this backfiring.

And yeah, I get the win at all costs, but just not the type of league I am interested in being involved with.

To really clamp down on this, as Commissioner in one of my 10 - team leagues, I keep refining our settings to make one work hard, do research and make tough decisions.  First I put out a mantra that this league does not reward failure.  Have implemented the following setting:

Roster Limits of 4 each WR and RB.

Total Acquisitions for the year:  35

Use of FAB instead of normal waiver system.  Just because your team or team management sucks does't mean you get first waiver claim.  Sorry!

4 teams make the playoffs.  One week rounds in week 16 and 17.  All other teams have 15 weeks to make the playoffs.  If you cannot, well, sorry.

Winner Take All.  Second place is nothing but first loser and is deserving of no cash prize.  You can buy your own orange slices and juicy boxes.

Sounds harsh to many I am sure, but then again it is only $25.

Edited by The Badfinger
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Um… I had bigger things to deal with. 

thought I settled with you. If not send me your pp and I will forward you $$$

lol, sorry, it was covered. I just remember standing outside asking the waitress, are any of us allowed back in? um yea, there's still a $200 tab someone has to pay.  dam darin and all his jagger shots.:fool:

Edited by BillyBalata
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

How about falling to 2-5 because Herbert had a pass batted back to him that he caught for -8 yards. He passed for 293 on the day and missed 300 yard passing bonus bc of that batted pass. Cost me 3.2 fantasy points on the play and I lost by 0.6 overall for the week and essentially drowning my hopes of coming back to relevance. This was also the week Breece tore his ACL.  Brutal.

this probably isn’t even the worst, I saw someone go from a win by 0.1 to a loss of 0.1 bc the QB knelt twice in victory formation to end the game on MNF.

24 minutes ago, Decisions said:

How about falling to 2-5 because Herbert had a pass batted back to him that he caught for -8 yards. He passed for 293 on the day and missed 300 yard passing bonus bc of that batted pass. Cost me 3.2 fantasy points on the play and I lost by 0.6 overall for the week and essentially drowning my hopes of coming back to relevance. This was also the week Breece tore his ACL.  Brutal.

this probably isn’t even the worst, I saw someone go from a win by 0.1 to a loss of 0.1 bc the QB knelt twice in victory formation to end the game on MNF.

Ouch. Large bonuses for reaching some milestone (300 passing, 100 rush/rec) are something we did away with long ago. Recently we went to fractional scoring on yardage (1 yd rush/rec = 0.1pt, 5 yd pass = 0.1pt) and that also helps, as 293 is worth 5.8 points, instead of just 5 (while 300 gets 6). Of course that also means the minus 8 receiving yards cost almost a full point (so that play still cost a full point for the Herbert owner).  Of course it could have added points if you have PPR or even points per completed pass. 

This is more about luck playing a role in fantasy, not about a bad beat.

Every week in the game recaps that CBS sends out they show how the two teams that played would fair, if they played each other every week or if they played each other's schedules. 

I lost in a blowout, afterward I'm 3-5, my opponent is 5-3.  If we swapped scheduled we'd also swap records. That isn't uncommon, one year I looked into that when missing out on a playoff spot to a team that seemed similar, and there was a 2 game swing if we swapped schedules. While I've scored about 70 fewer points, I also had 150 more points scored against me. 

Edited by stevegrab

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

This is more about luck playing a role in fantasy, not about a bad beat.

Every week in the game recaps that CBS sends out they show how the two teams that played would fair, if they played each other every week or if they played each other's schedules. 

I lost in a blowout, afterward I'm 3-5, my opponent is 5-3.  If we swapped scheduled we'd also swap records. That isn't uncommon, one year I looked into that when missing out on a playoff spot to a team that seemed similar, and there was a 2 game swing if we swapped schedules. While I've scored about 70 fewer points, I also had 150 more points scored against me. 

A buddy I chat with about FF regularly is in a league where the record is based on if you played everyone every week.  So if you were top points scored for week 1 in a 12 team league (11 opponents), your record would be 11-0.  If in week 2, you had lowest points scored, your record would the. be 11-11 and so on….until the playoffs where the season record determines a standard playoff bracket and it’s back to head to head matchups

always thought that would be interesting but may also take some of the fun out of it too.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, Decisions said:

Those are just funny.   You see it get close and think "no... no!  Put in the backup NOW!!"   Nothing you can do.  Is what it is.