[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which current free agent RB will be the best fantasy start

DMD

Free Agent Running backs  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which current free agent would you want to draft the most?

• Leonard Fournette (age 28)
    • Ezekiel Elliott (age 27)
    • Kareem Hunt (age 27)
    • They are all dead to me now

1 hour ago, Def. said:

They dead...RIP. 

But Elliott was the first RB drafted in 2016. The second was Derrick Henry.

Elliott's career - 1,881 rushes for 8,262 yards, 305 catches for 2,336 yards in 102 starts

Henry's career - 1,750 rushes for 8,335 yards, 127 catches for 1,244 yards in 71 starts

Elliott was heavier used overall, but Henry has been run into the ground for the last 4 years with 1,249 runs vs. 1,013 for Elliott. And Henry missed 8 games in 2021.

I get Fournette since he gets dinged up often and hasn't ran that much for the last three years.

Kareem Hunt is a head scratcher since he hasn't handled all that much touches. His draft year also had Fournette, McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook, Mixon and Kamara.

1 hour ago, DMD said:

All three RBs have been stellar in recent years. Are they all really done? And only 27 or 28 years old?

Depends on expectations.  For elite production defined as 250 PPR points in a season, then yes.  We know that RB1 players are in their prime between 22-28, some on the backend if they weren't workhorse backs in the beginning (Ekeler for example).  But for elite players, their production drops off much faster after age 26.  Regarding the above, I'd take them in later rounds or after the draft for a flex spot.  But regardless of where they go we can't expect the production worthy of drafting them as an RB1 or RB2 if consistency is weighted heavily.

• Like 1

If any of the three was destined to be fantasy-relevant strictly based on their skill, they'd be signed already. That said, opportunity is a different thing than skill, and they're all an injury or two away from becoming fantasy-relevant somewhere.  If nothing else, temporarily.  Fournette feels to be the least likely to make a splash somewhere.  I wouldn't spend a lot for any of them, but if they're already on my roster or I can grab 'em for cheap (and I have the space), why not? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DMD said:

But Elliott was the first RB drafted in 2016. The second was Derrick Henry.

Elliott's career - 1,881 rushes for 8,262 yards, 305 catches for 2,336 yards in 102 starts

Henry's career - 1,750 rushes for 8,335 yards, 127 catches for 1,244 yards in 71 starts

Elliott was heavier used overall, but Henry has been run into the ground for the last 4 years with 1,249 runs vs. 1,013 for Elliott. And Henry missed 8 games in 2021.

I get Fournette since he gets dinged up often and hasn't ran that much for the last three years.

Kareem Hunt is a head scratcher since he hasn't handled all that much touches. His draft year also had Fournette, McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook, Mixon and Kamara.

They've all reached that cliff.  Just a product of the position and why most times I won't invest in a RB for more then 3-4 years.  They simply do not last and are easily replaceable.  Zeke is not prime Zeke anymore, he's honestly not even better then various backups out there IMO.  For all of them, the skills have diminished and as already mentioned the opportunity is not likely to come up.  You can pay a rookie way less and get near the same.  I don't see the upside in any of them, so they're dead to me cause I rather gamble on potential then Leroy Hoard 3 yard guys...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Def. said:

They've all reached that cliff.  Just a product of the position and why most times I won't invest in a RB for more then 3-4 years.  They simply do not last and are easily replaceable.  Zeke is not prime Zeke anymore, he's honestly not even better then various backups out there IMO.  For all of them, the skills have diminished and as already mentioned the opportunity is not likely to come up.  You can pay a rookie way less and get near the same.  I don't see the upside in any of them, so they're dead to me cause I rather gamble on potential then Leroy Hoard 3 yard guys...

I think this is the key.  Unless they're willing to play for cheap, what is the advantage of signing a guy with a lot of wear and tear already?  The big difference USED to be pass protection, but I think that gap has narrowed (between rookies and vets). 

The other piece is that the game has changed. Teams don't "ground and pound" as much anymore, making guys like Elliott and Fournette less useful. It's become a game of big plays and finding players who have that burst (and a lot of these younger guys simply have more burst, at this point, than Zeke or Fournette). 

Zeke is a power running back now. Hes a great goal line threat and he will also get reps because he is an excellent blocker . His Homerun hitting days are over . More of an alstott/Hoard type now 

I think it is all situational... where they land and how they are utilized.  Generally speaking, I could like Hunt and Fournette in PPR. As whomp mentioned zeke is more suited for short yardage these days.

Edited by Bier Meister

• 11 months later...