[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Predictions AFC/NFC Championships

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

SF is being paid to lose?

I said the way they were playing,  it looked like they were being paid to lose.  They couldn't tackle, det averaged like 8 yards a play for the first few drives.  The 49ers defense looked awful

Edited by Montana is da Man
  • Like 1

This is completely on the Lions and their HC.

3rd-4th Quarter...

-CMC TD 3rd quarter opening drive. 

-Lions turnover on downs going on 4th down in FG range. 

-Next drive Aiyuk 51 yard reception off the defenders face mask.  Scores next play or so. 

-Gibbs fumble.

-Reynolds drops pass for wide open 1st down

-Beautiful punt can't be downed at the 1.

-Purdy avoids sack and completes to Kyle J on sideline (2 feet down) for a 1st down. 

-Lions go for it on 4th down a second time, in FG range, and turn it over on downs again!

GAME OVER. 

Edited by irish

1 hour ago, irish said:

This is completely on the Lions HC.

Fixed.

Campbell essentially passed on an a pretty easy opportunity to go up 3 scores for a much more difficult opportunity to go up 3 scores......Late in the game. 

Sure the dropped passes and fumble happened after that. But the momentum swing felt predictable.

Edited by Bobby Brown

49ers pulled it out but that was rough. They were helped out by a big drop by Reynolds and Campbell making some decisions that didn't work out. 

The defense stepped up in the 2nd half in stopping the run and finally put some pressure on Goff 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Fixed.

Campbell essentially passed on an a pretty easy opportunity to go up 3 scores for a much more difficult opportunity to go up 3 scores......Late in the game. 

Sure the dropped passes and fumble happened after that. But the momentum swing felt predictable.

I get ya, that the HC takes the most heat but you can't dismiss the huge errors that the players made.  It was a complete collapse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irish said:

I get ya, that the HC takes the most heat but you can't dismiss the huge errors that the players made.  It was a complete collapse. 

Sure.  But, a common sense decision by the coach could've almost certainly put the Detroit players several feet away from the SB finish line.  He voluntarily pushed them back due to lack of situational awareness. 

14 hours ago, gilthorp said:

I predict this officiating crew is on KC's side. Sad.

14 hours ago, irish said:

What play was called in KC's favor that wasn't legit?

14 hours ago, Montana is da Man said:

Only play I can think of is the 15 yarder earlier in the game where kelce deserved it.  They didnt call it and the then they call the retaliation.  

14 hours ago, Montana is da Man said:

I didnt like the taunting call but by rule it's a flag

I knew that at points people would look to say the refs were on KC's side.

Regarding the personal foul in the Kelce scuffle, Ravens were acting like bullies on every play going after guys and doing stuff. Kelce responded, Van Noy retaliated and got caught.

The dude that hit Mahomes in the face with his arm, clear penalty. Later there were a couple of missed PI calls that should have been made for BAL. But not sure they were enough to impact the outcome after they dug a big hole. 

14 hours ago, gilthorp said:

If any of you are stupid enough to not see this is scripted, may God have mercy on your soul.

If you really think it is scripted STOP WATCHING or take your bellyaching to social media where you'll be part of the vast conspiracy crowd I can ignore. 

Congrats to the Chiefs and 49ers. 

I guess the Lions did deserve to be in that game sure dominated early on. For those who were saying the 49er D looked like it was being paid to lose, maybe that was just playing against a really good offense, pretty sure Lions were top 5. 

Some bad decisions (passing on FGs) and the fumble by Gibbs, plus letting SF do whatever they want on offense in the second half got them. 

Lions lost total focus the second half...had plenty of chances, but with dropped passes, fumbles, defense not able to catch sure interceptions...makes for a ton of lost opportunities that have to be capitalized on, at this stage in the season.  It's too bad, I actually wanted them to win...for Barry Sanders and the entire Detroit community.  But this is a young team, not the youngest in the league, the Packers are the youngest, but a few more WR's and another elite pass rusher and a player or two in the secondary...they will be  back next year, and maybe then they will act like they have been there before. 

As for the Super Bowl...I hate to say it, but the Chiefs will win by at least 14. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

For those who were saying the 49er D looked like it was being paid to lose, maybe that was just playing against a really good offense, pretty sure Lions were top 5. 

It was more because the 49ers missed tackles they usually make.  They were uncharacteristically terrible in the 1st half and obviously much better in the 2nd half

• Like 1

I think this loss is on the Lions D as much as anything else. While they did well in the first half limiting the 49ers they allowed them to score on every drive in the second half (other than the final kneel down). Yes one was on a short field aided by the turnover. But the others went 50, 72, 65 & 70 yards (the 2 shorter drives were FGs) and these 5 drives consumed about 20 minutes of the quarter. The lions went 3 and out once, fumbled on first down another time and turned it over on downs twice when they probably should have kicked a FG, at least once. 

Had they kicked one of those FG, they would have been driving for a tying TD late in Q4, not sure the 49ers would have been as forgiving on defense with a 7point lead. 

Yes people will criticize Dan Campbell for his choices, but like people said earlier in the season this is how they played all year. Suddenly changing up your strategy for big games isn't wise. (Like the Ravens who forgot they were a good running team and went away from that, which played a big part in their loss.)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Yes people will criticize Dan Campbell for his choices, but like people said earlier in the season this is how they played all year. Suddenly changing up your strategy for big games isn't wise. (Like the Ravens who forgot they were a good running team and went away from that, which played a big part in their loss.)

lol....Being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive isn't a strategy, and the comparison to the Ravens abandoning the run is a massive stretch of logic. The Lions also kicked the FG at the end of the half, so apparently Campbell already was already 'changing up strategy.'

Foregoing a FG in a tie game, in a week 4 battle against the Falcons,..is a completely different situation than not taking a 3 score lead late in the game with the SB on the line.  There is a thing called situational awareness which Campbell clearly lacks. 

Going up by 17 in the 3rd would have given the Lions something like an 85% chance to win.  It also forces the 49ers to become more 1-dimensional and at least minimize their best player somewhat.  Instead of a 3 score lead, it's a one score game 5 plays later.  

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Confused 1

Was watching with friends yesterday.

first off- great season and game plan by Det. i feel bad for you guys. it was really a live by the sword, die by the sword evening.  Campbell is why you are where you are, but those were very costly decisions last night.

General observations:

Det Oline and dline did an excellent job in the first half.  As a 49ers fan, i am pissed/disappointed in our defense. the past two games they have been poor against the run (typically a strength)...did better in the 2nd half last night. I think a lot of the 49ers game flow is predicated by how the defense performs.

Offense isn't totally clicking. CMC had a big run to help raise his ypc, but det did a nice job containing him for the most part. I would have liked to have seen more plays to aiyuk and kittle earlier in the game.

Purdy is fine. he started out 6/9 (two of them batted at the line). slumped, but composed himself to move the chains (two comebacks in the playoffs this year).

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

lol....Being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive isn't a strategy, and the comparison to the Ravens abandoning the run is a massive stretch of logic. The Lions also kicked the FG at the end of the half, so apparently Campbell already was already 'changing up strategy.'

Foregoing a FG in a tie game, in a week 4 battle against the Falcons,..is a completely different situation than not taking a 3 score lead late in the game with the SB on the line.  There is a thing called situational awareness which Campbell clearly lacks. 

Going up with 17 minutes in the 3rd would have given the Lions something like an 85% chance to win.  It also forces the 49ers to become more 1-dimsional, and at least minimize their best player somewhat.  Instead of a 3 score lead, it's a one score game 5 plays later.  

LOL  all this from a guy never willing to give the Lions credit for how good they are. 

As for "an 85% chance to win" maybe that's part of the new analytics stuff, but I think some of that is junk as it ignores far too many variables that are different from one scenario to another. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

it ignores far too many variables that are different from one scenario to another. 

So variables affect a game but you should never 'change up strategy' to address those different scenarios. Doing so wouldn't be wise and Campbell and the Lions snatching defeat from the jaws of victory was actually brilliant coaching.  🤪

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

So variables affect a game but you should never 'change up strategy' to address those different scenarios. Doing so wouldn't be wise and Campbell and the Lions snatching defeat from the jaws of victory was actually brilliant coaching.  🤪

You're right, he should be fired for being such an idiot. 

So I'm curious about a play in the KC-BAL game, KC intercepts the ball in the EZ, was intended for Likely who had some contact with a defender as a guy about 2-3 yards away intercepted the ball. 

I know that if a pass is deflected/tipped there can be no pass interference. Would that also apply in this case, once the defender touches the ball (before he completes the interception) there can be no PI?  

I was reading a story about "the bad calls" and how some (social media) are calling for an investigation. The reporter says "it was absolutely PI". I remember a couple of plays that looked like PI on the Chiefs which was not called, but not sure that was one. And as I watch it more closely I think this tipped pass negates PI thing could play a role?

Thoughts? 

31 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

You're right, he should be fired for being such an idiot. 

No, of course he shouldn't be fired.  He's largely responsible for changing the culture there for the better.  But, he certainly deserves criticism for decisions he made yesterday and contributing to the massive choke job.   

Just now, Bobby Brown said:

No, of course he shouldn't be fired.  He's largely responsible for changing the culture there for the better.  But, he certainly deserves criticism for decisions he made yesterday and contributing to the massive choke job.   

Still having trouble with the sarcasm meter?

• Confused 2