[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears trading Fields to Steelers

irish

Just read it as Breaking News on ESPN feed. 

Didn't they just get Russell Wilson?!?

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-reportedly-trade-justin-fields-to-steelers-clearing-the-way-for-likely-no-1-pick-qb-caleb-williams-224130172.html

That article states that Fields would be the backup to Wilson for the year and could step in if Wilson struggles.  

WOW!

Edited by irish

6 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Well, we know who the Bears are taking with the first pick.

Yup and he'll have Allen, Moore and Kmet to throw to, to begin his career. 

13 minutes ago, Big John said:

Conditional 2025 sixth, upgraded to a fourth if he plays the majority of snaps this year. 

Which means he'll sit behind Wilson most of season.

The Steelers absolutely fleeced the Bears here!

2 hours ago, irish said:

The Steelers absolutely fleeced the Bears here!

How?  The league has shown you what it thinks Fields is, and the long and short of it is “not good”.  

• Like 2

Buy for a 6th, decline 5th year option to avoid the big bucks, allow him to go to free agency and sign a contract, and let the NFL award them a higher compensatory pick than they sent away. And profit?

unsure if it’s possible, but would be cool to watch it unfold.

• Like 1

I'm going to say it right here....Caleb Williams will be the next Vince Young.  It's amazing to me, the absolute "man-love" this guy gets.  Does he have talent, he does, no doubt, but so did Vince until he got into the NFL.  Defenses are going to eat Williams alive...and the thing that's going to be William's downfall is his mental aspect of the game.  Plus, I don't think he'll win over a locker room.  No team under preforms more than USC based on the caliber of athletes they recruit each year.  My head explodes every time I hear the comparison of Williams to Mahomes.  :smash: PLEASE...I'm not a big Mahomes fan, but I do appreciate all that Patrick does to get a win.  Caleb is not even in the same conversation in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Def. said:

How?  The league has shown you what it thinks Fields is, and the long and short of it is “not good”.  

A 6th rounder?!  In a league where there are teams without a legit starting QB, getting a guy with the upside that Fields has for a 3rd day pick is a solid value.  However, if after shopping him around, in a QB starved league, that's the best they could do, the league has clearly shown us that Fields has almost no value.  We'll see how this shakes out...

It's amazing to me how the trade market just evaporated for this guy. Definitely a bad year with quality vets and surfeit of good prospects in the draft, but my god, a 6th rounder? The Bears must have been terrified at the prospect of a divided team chemistry to give him up for only a 6th rounder. 

Fields has 1 year left on his rookie contract.  It's possible that he never plays a snap in Pittsburgh in 2024 and then signs with another team in 2025.  It's pretty clear Fields is viewed as a backup and no one wants to take on the cap hit of extending his rookie contract.

There was essentially no trade market and no one should be surprised he was unloaded for next to nothing.

Edited by Bobby Brown

18 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Fields has 1 year left on his rookie contract.  It's possible that he never plays a snap in Pittsburgh in 2024 and then signs with another team in 2025.  It's pretty clear Fields is viewed as a backup and no one wants to take on the cap hit of extending his rookie contract.

There was essentially no trade market and no one should be surprised he was unloaded for next to nothing.

Yep, it's an ugly market for that coveted 2021 class.

Fields traded for a 6th round pick

Lance traded for a 4th round pick

Jones traded for a 6th round pick

Wilson on the trading block

This is not including Trask, Mond, and Mills who went in round 3. Outside of Lawrence, this might the biggest QB bust class ever (if there is such a thing).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

I did not understand this part below, the team that gets him needs to commit to 25M to keep him for 2025 or negotiate some other contract otherwise they are getting a one year rental. Still, a 6th rounder may as well be nothing. Either keep him on your roster if you can get them to coexist, or wait until the 2024 draft and somebody doesn't get the QB they want.

"Why Fields wasn’t scooped by other teams largely centers on his one year of rookie contract control, which features a fifth-year option that will be set at $25.6 million. That option must be triggered in May. Nearly every general manager who spoke to Yahoo Sports about Fields since December balked at picking up that commitment."

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I did not understand this part below, the team that gets him needs to commit to 25M to keep him for 2025 or negotiate some other contract otherwise they are getting a one year rental. Still, a 6th rounder may as well be nothing. Either keep him on your roster if you can get them to coexist, or wait until the 2024 draft and somebody doesn't get the QB they want.

No flipping way...you are not drafting a QB with the 1st pick and having Fields still there.  It's not about the value at this point, he had to go and there's absolutely no guarantee he would be wanted while or after the draft plays out.  League has already shown you that he's not what fans and fantasy players over value him at.   

Bears are showing their complete commitment to not only the pick but the fans/city.  And trust me, living in the area it is greatly needed.  Every single day on talk radio some moran calling up saying trade the 1st pick and get a massive haul and play Fields.  They were not going to even chance a divided anything, as it should be. 

Fields cannot process from the pocket, at all.  He can't run today's offenses, and that's a good part of why there is absolutely no market for him.  Think what you want about Caleb, maybe he will be a complete bust.  But at this point with that pick the Bears absolutely have to gamble on the potential and reset the QB clock so its gotten to the point that it no longer matter what the return is for Fields.  Frankly their fortunate to even have the potential for a 4th at this point.  Props to them for taking a chance that Russ pulls his same old bad play and poor leadership and maybe they profit off it. 

So the Bears were fleeced and then there was no perceived value for him. Tootie talks in circles.

Darnold said it best many years ago when he was caught saying he was seeing ghosts. Many QB's just won't process the speed of reads. There was more than enough evidence on Fields that he would rarely see the read or throw to the read, or even lead the receiver to the read. 

I don't necessarily agree with this move, but resetting the QB clock is probably the smart organizational move, so it doesn't really matter what the return is - drafting Fields was a bust, and that was done by the previous GM.

I prefer Daniels, not Williams.

2 hours ago, gilthorp said:

So the Bears were fleeced and then there was no perceived value for him. Tootie talks in circles.

Darnold said it best many years ago when he was caught saying he was seeing ghosts. Many QB's just won't process the speed of reads. There was more than enough evidence on Fields that he would rarely see the read or throw to the read, or even lead the receiver to the read. 

I don't necessarily agree with this move, but resetting the QB clock is probably the smart organizational move, so it doesn't really matter what the return is - drafting Fields was a bust, and that was done by the previous GM.

I prefer Daniels, not Williams.

I'm not talking in circles. I clearly stated my opinion and still feel that the Bears got fleeced. I was simply stated that the league has clearly shown us that Fields has minimal value and then said we'll see how this shakes out.  Just because the league felt that way, doesn't mean I do.   

I tutor kids all the time who need to improve with reading comprehension, I'll see if I can squeeze you in. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

:mouth::wacko::mouth:

Figured that'd be the response since you put your foot in your mouth. No where to go but valley girl eye rolls and your yappy mouth.  Next time reread before posting and you'll avoid this moment.

:Irishwink:  on St. Patty's Day, what a lucky guy!

So...about this fleecing business. I do think the Bears GM misplayed this - maybe badly. But there is some silver lining value in showing the Bears fans who say "keep Fields and trade the #1 pick" that Fields' perception in the league was nowhere close to what their's was.

So it makes picking Caleb look like the better choice. They get to show the fans what other NFL teams thought of Fields.

Still think the Bears should've made a deal before the secondary QB market started to heat up, but this is not all downside for them.

Edited by stethant

14 minutes ago, stethant said:

So...about this fleecing business. I do think the Bears GM misplayed this - maybe badly. But there is some silver lining value in showing the Bears fans who say "keep Fields and trade the #1 pick" that Fields' perception in the league was nowhere close to what there's was.

So it makes picking Caleb look like the better choice. They get to show the fans what other NFL teams thought of Fields.

Still think the Bears should've made a deal before the secondary QB market started to heat up, but this is not all downside for them.

The market is always the market.

The current GM could have kept him and he would walk next year. He owes nothing to the old GM or the fans. 

16 minutes ago, stethant said:

So...about this fleecing business. I do think the Bears GM misplayed this - maybe badly. But there is some silver lining value in showing the Bears fans who say "keep Fields and trade the #1 pick" that Fields' perception in the league was nowhere close to what there's was.

Good post.  It's hard to say the Bears were fleeced when no one else wanted to give up anything for what is essentially a 1 year rental on a  backup QB with the potential of having the inside track to re-sign Fields to a more favorable contract.  

Washington unloaded Howell and got a 3rd while giving up a 4th.  The key difference being Howell is cap friendly for 2 years and not 1.  And Howell has actually shown somewhat a propensity to read defenses, make reads, and throw some passes without relying on his ability*/inability to run.  

16 hours ago, irish said:

I'm not talking in circles. I clearly stated my opinion and still feel that the Bears got fleeced. I was simply stated that the league has clearly shown us that Fields has minimal value and then said we'll see how this shakes out.  Just because the league felt that way, doesn't mean I do.   

I tutor kids all the time who need to improve with reading comprehension, I'll see if I can squeeze you in. 

He isn't the only one who thought you were contradicting yourself.  Most people (including the league) think Fields had very little value. You could be right and the experts could be wrong, but that is going to require something we have not seen yet, Fields playing like a starting NFL QB that can win consistently.