[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James trade looking more likely

Jackass

In a Wednesday morning discussion, Indianapolis team president/general manager Bill Polian apprised the agent for Edgerrin James that the Colts might be unable, for a variety of financial reasons, to make a multi-year contract offer to their star tailback. The bottom line, agent Drew Rosenhaus said, was that James would likely play in 2005 under terms of the one-year "franchise" qualifying offer of $8.08 million, or that the Colts will seek to trade one of the NFL's premier backs.

"Basically, they said that with the stadium, their salary cap situation, they could not make us a proposal beyond the qualifying offer," Rosenhaus said. "And Bill made it pretty clear he would entertain trade offers and, in fact, said he would consider trading 'Edge' for less than a first-round draft choice. I told him that I intended to get the word out about where the Colts stood on this and he encouraged me to do so. I would say this is a pretty significant development."

Polian told ESPN.com that he made the comments to Rosenhaus based on the agent's assessment that there is a depressed market in the NFL for running backs and that he was finding it difficult to locate potential trade partners.

But Polian allowed that, given those conditions, he told Rosenhaus the Colts might have to revisit their position on James. Polian said he will begin to phone teams and make inquiries about interest in the six-year veteran tailback.

Asked if he preferred that James return to the Colts in 2005, Polian said: "I think that the question is, what's it going to take to get him back? I think that's the No. 1 question."

Polian noted that the Colts have a "high regard for Edgerrin, both as a player and person," that owner Jim Irsay possessed a "real fondness" for him, and that the team would like him to be happy. Toward that end, the Colts will continue to work with Rosenhaus and James to create the best situation for the player and for the team, as well.

The possibilities, very definitely, could include a trade.

Such a turn of events might seem contrary to the stance of Irsay, who had reiterated in the past his intention to try to retain James with a long-term contract. In fairness to Irsay, he made the comments, Polian emphasized "in the vacuum of the conclusion of the season."

And Irsay, who reached into his personal holdings to fund signing bonuses for quarterback Peyton Manning and wide receiver Marvin Harrison, also spoke at a time when it appeared the Colts would be getting a new stadium. The team still hopes to be in a new facility by 2008, but the state legislature has yet to approve a funding plan.

Indianapolis, which in the past year signed Manning and Harrison to lucrative long-term deals, two weeks ago designated James as a "franchise" player.

James has hinted broadly that he might prefer to continue his career elsewhere. He has suggested in the past that he might like to play in Miami, since he makes his home in South Florida, but last week acknowledged he would consider other teams as well. League sources have told ESPN.com that the Dolphins, under new coach Nick Saban, are not interested in trading for James.

There seems little doubt, though, that James is attempting to verbally stir the pot in an effort to be relocated.

In a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, James likened the Colts to a "dysfunctional" family.

"Man, we're like The Jackson 5," James said. "To everyone on the outside, it looks like we're tight as hell. We're out there, on the playing field, making it all look so effortless, and all the [expletive] running perfectly. Then we go home and it's Jermaine's in this room, Tito's in another and Randy ain't talking to no one. When you get up close, it's all dysfunctional."

James, 26, was the Colts' first-round pick in the 1999 draft, and has rushed for 1,000 yards in four of his six seasons in the league, and 1,500-plus yards three times. That includes 1,548 yards in 2004.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edge, Rudi, and that guy named Henry... Its a buyers market. Nobody is going to get top dollar for a RB in a trade right now, IMO. I think this article indicates that too.

"Basically, they said that with the stadium, their salary cap situation, they could not make us a proposal beyond the qualifying offer," Rosenhaus said. "And Bill made it pretty clear he would entertain trade offers and, in fact, said he would consider trading 'Edge' for less than a first-round draft choice.

Bennett & a 4th to Indy for the Gold Toofed One. We'll even throw in some SuperBowl tickets!  :D

727169[/snapback]

No thanks.

Like I said before, the Colts will want Edge to play for the one-year tender unless they get an attractive offer. I doubt a second-rounder will do it. I think the Colts would rather just let him play this year than make that trade. We'll see.

Of course, it all depends who is available in the draft late in the first or early in the second rounds. I could see this being a draft day trade.

Edited by CaptainHook

Remember, when he was at the peak of his career, Marshall Faulk only got a 2nd and a 5th in a trade from IND to STL...

727197[/snapback]

I don't think Marshall was viewed as a stud when he was traded was he?

he was a good back but going to St Louis vaulted him to the top.

Least, that's how I remember it. I'm getting old though and the memory is going. :D

I can't imagine either Alexander or the Edge will end up in Miami...i would not mind...but the likelihood is very very slim....we learned our lesson about trading......

727172[/snapback]

I agree... though both Seattle and Indy could use a player like Surtain, I don't think they would swap Alexander or James straight up for him. And neither is worth the 1.02 pick in this year's draft.

No thanks.

Like I said before, the Colts will want Edge to play for the one-year tender unless they get an attractive offer.  I doubt a second-rounder will do it.  I think the Colts would rather just let him play this year than make that trade.  We'll see.

Of course, it all depends who is available in the draft late in the first or early in the second rounds.  I could see this being a draft day trade.

727211[/snapback]

But Tito says he doesn't get along with the rest of the Jacksons anymore, remember? :D

I don't think Marshall was viewed as a stud when he was traded was he?

he was a good back but going to St Louis vaulted him to the top.

Least, that's how I remember it. I'm getting old though and the memory is going.  :D

727230[/snapback]

Marshall was a very, very good player on a very, very bad team. Most NFL people considered him as at least a "very good" RB. But you are correct, he did not start putting up monster numbers until he landed in St. Louis.

I remember Bill Parcells, then of the Jets, saying he and his coaches "did the conga line" when they heard Marshall Faulk had been traded out of the division.

Edited by CaptainHook

"Basically, they said that with the stadium, their salary cap situation, they could not make us a proposal beyond the qualifying offer," Rosenhaus said. "And Bill made it pretty clear he would entertain trade offers and, in fact, said he would consider trading 'Edge' for less than a first-round draft choice. I told him that I intended to get the word out about where the Colts stood on this and he encouraged me to do so. I would say this is a pretty significant development."

727135[/snapback]

This does not necessarily mean the Colts would take a second round pick for Edgerrin James. It could also mean the Colts are willing to trade Edgerrin for a player, or a player and a pick.

How about this?

Not a rumor, just a thought. With Andy ried loving his draft day trades I thought maybe...

Eagles Send:

RB Brian Westbrook

31st selection in the 1st round

To Indianappolis for:

Edgerrin James

Reggie Wayne

The Colts would in return get Westbrook who would only help the immobile Manning with his great recieving skills out of the backfield. Then they could also package together the two first round picks and move up in the draft. SF is looking to get out of the #1 spot, and they could sneak up and grab Antrel Rolle to fill the much needed CB spot. Move Stokely to the #2 WR and sign or Draft another WR.....They could even stay at the 29th and 31st spots and draft someone who is of value there....

This is great for both teams....

Any thoughts?

How about this? 

Not a rumor, just a thought. With Andy ried loving his draft day trades I thought maybe... 

Eagles Send: 

RB Brian Westbrook 

31st selection in the 1st round 

To Indianappolis for: 

Edgerrin James 

Reggie Wayne 

The Colts would in return get Westbrook who would only help the immobile Manning with his great recieving skills out of the backfield. Then they could also package together the two first round picks and move up in the draft. SF is looking to get out of the #1 spot, and they could sneak up and grab Antrel Rolle to fill the much needed CB spot. Move Stokely to the #2 WR and sign or Draft another WR.....They could even stay at the 29th and 31st spots and draft someone who is of value there.... 

This is great for both teams.... 

Any thoughts?

727460[/snapback]

Umm, yeah, that's a terrible trade. Stokley is a slot receiver. He would not make a good #2 WR. And then trade up to the #1 spot to take a cornerback?? I don't think so. Why would the Colts trade 3,000 yards of offense for Westbrook and the 31st pick????

Umm, yeah, that's a terrible trade.  Stokley is a slot receiver.  He would not make a good #2 WR.  And then trade up to the #1 spot to take a cornerback??  I don't think so.  Why would the Colts trade 3,000 yards of offense for Westbrook and the 31st pick????

727510[/snapback]

With Philadelphia holdong that lte 1st rounder....A deal could be done. Westbrook would come cheaper then Edge for Indy. Philly has 14+ to work with. A long term deal would barely hit this years cap, especially with a bonus. Philly would love nothing more than to entice Indy to send one of thier WR in the deal. And If you are going to tell me the deal I proposed would not work PERFECTLY for both teams, you're nuts....

With Philadelphia holdong that lte 1st rounder....A deal could be done. Westbrook would come cheaper then Edge for Indy. Philly has 14+ to work with. A long term deal would barely hit this years cap, especially with a bonus. Philly would love nothing more than to entice Indy to send one of thier WR in the deal. And If you are going to tell me the deal I proposed would not work PERFECTLY for both teams, you're nuts....

727534[/snapback]

The Colts have plenty of cap room available this year as well. That's why they'll just keep Edge and have him play for the one year tender if they don't get an offer they want. And dealing Wayne AND Edge is a deal they don't want. No way. Horrible trade. The Colts would laugh at that offer. Losing Edge and Wayne for Westbrook? LOL!

Bennett & a 4th to Indy for the Gold Toofed One. We'll even throw in some SuperBowl tickets!  :D

727169[/snapback]

4th rounder?? Screw that....get on the phone right now...Bennett, EJ Henderson and the #18 pick for Edge!

Edge, dude, listen up. Have you heard about the Vikings? Yea, I know you're sick of playing on a team that's all offense and no defense, but have you heard about Mike Tice's new plan? We're scrapping our high flying offense...already on our way to building a top flight defense and now we just need a stud RB to implement Tice's new smashmouth offense. A new owner is on his way in to start a new era in MN football. Dude, you know you want to play for the first afro-american owner in the NFL. A new defense, new offense, new owner, and a new stadium a few years down the road. The only thing we DON'T have is...a bunch of those pesky little wr's running around all over the place stealing your carries. Dude, we only got TWO of them! Well, three if you count Kelly Cam...but he's on the way out. Unless of course you'd like us to keep him around to help keep that gansta 'tude around to keep you comfortable, we can do that if you'd like. You and Daunte, buddy...ripping up the NFL during the season and chillin' together down in FLA in the offseason. You know you want it....

I would be happy with getting Edge for the right price or just addressing Miami's RB needs via the draft. At least with a rook the cap hit isn't as severe which would leave room for other needs.

Wouldn't be surprised if a deal is worked though. Nor would I be dissapointed if it didn't happen either.

I agree... though both Seattle and Indy could use a player like Surtain, I don't think they would swap Alexander or James straight up for him. And neither is worth the 1.02 pick in this year's draft.

727233[/snapback]

You don't think Alexander or James is worth the 2nd pick in the draft????

Are you serious? These are two of the best runners in the NFL and are proven producers. You're telling me that an unproven rookie is worth more than either of these two??? :D

Running back is a weird position in the NFL. Everyone agrees they are one of the most important positions, but no one is willing to trade much to get one.

Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and a 5th the year after he had 1,000+ yards rushing and 1,000+ yards recieving in one season. That was a rare feat, I think only matched one other time by Roger Craig back in the eighties. That qualified Faulk as a verifiable stud at the time, though he had a history of leg injuries in the years prior to his last year with the Colts.

Runners rule in fantasy football; they are worth their weight in gold. In the NFL, they just are not that coveted. Every NFL team thinks they've got a top runner, or at least can draft a younger, healthier one. I think it's because runners tend to wear out quicker than other positions.

We might look at Edgerrin as a top producer, but most NFL teams look at him as a guy fast approaching 30 with a history of knee problems. From what I've seen in the last ten years, teams generally would prefer getting the young runner in the draft and take their chances. So I believe Polian when he says that the Colts would trade Edgerrin for less than a 1st rounder. What reason would he have to say that, if he didn't mean it? Unless Rosenhaus is making it up, but we would have heard an outcry from the Colts by now if that were the case.

I wonder if this isn't the inevitable result of Manning's $33 million signing bonus, or whatever it was. I'm predicting one of the favorite media stories about the Colts in the next couple of years will be that Manning's contract is crippling the Colts' chances of building a legitimate Superbowl threat. If Edgerrin has to go for salary cap reasons, that will probably start the media buzz right there.

I wonder if this isn't the inevitable result of Manning's $33 million signing bonus, or whatever it was.  I'm predicting one of the favorite media stories about the Colts in the next couple of years will be that Manning's contract is crippling the Colts' chances of building a legitimate Superbowl threat.  If Edgerrin has to go for salary cap reasons, that will probably start the media buzz right there.

728781[/snapback]

zzzzz. With Manning going off for 49 TD's, I don't see an outcry soon. Plus, as I've said a hundred times, Manning contract is VERY cap friendly for the first 4 years. . .