[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

*** Official Huddle Mock #2 ***

DMD

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys both took the player I was targeting right in front of me. At 2.11 I was poised to take Stephen Jackson and he got snagged at 2.10. I had to go with Lamont Jordan who was the last rb on that tier.

At 3.2 I was going to grab either Holt or Johnson, preferrably Johnson. I was shocked that Nogo took both of them. I had to "settle" for Marvin Harrison who was the last of the top tier wr's.

Can somebody explain to me the hype over LaMont Jordan?

855510[/snapback]

Stud running back who is going to a team that will use him a lot as the sole rb and as a receiver out of the backfield. Huge upside potential here. Couldnt beat out Cumar, but few rb's could. Look for a nice year, alot better than several rb's taken before him. From another thread about break players this year:

LaMont Jordan

We’re trying to figure out what the rest of the world doesn’t like about Raiders RB LaMont Jordan. He’s often the 21st or 22nd RB taken in summer mocks, behind guys like Chris Brown or Steven Jackson, who both sustained substantial injury before their 100th career carry and haven’t proven they can withstand punishment. Even Ronnie Brown has been drafted ahead of Jordan (?). This guy is a durable and explosive runner, with twice the upside in the potentially sinister offense that Norv Turner has built.

Ok, he’s never been a starter in the NFL. But Jordan’s still a very young 26-year old back with fresh legs, absolutely no competition for carries, and a surrounding cast that will take the pressure of him. Jordan has great power and burst, a deceiving 4.5 in the 40, soft hands out of the backfield – and a huge chip on his shoulder after being shunned by the Jets. His style has been compared to a cross between a young Corey Dillon and a young Stephen Davis (Yeah, start drooling…).

If you want an indication of what LaMont can do over 16 games as a starter, check out his career stat line: 262 carries, 1,277 yards, 10 TDs and a hefty average of 4.9 yards per carry. Maybe he’s been able to pound on tired defenses after Curtis Martin does his damage, but compare Jordan to other backup RB averages over the years:

Tiki Barber: 3.7 /avg. in 250 carries

Dorsey Levens: 4.3 / avg. in 162 carries

Derrick Blaylock: 4.6 / avg. in 156 carries

Dominic Rhodes: 4.7/ avg. in 323 carries

LaMont Jordan: 4.9 / avg. in 262 carries

This is a guy who is ranked as the 20th RB by Fantasy Index Magazine’s consensus of experts, not much love for a talented RB on a stacked offense. Then again, Jordan hasn’t gotten much love for most of his career. Before 2004, he demanded to be traded after learning that the Jets would not let him compete against Martin for the starting job. After a lot of public grumbling on his part, (and nearly being traded to the Raiders a year earlier than he was) the Jets decided to keep Jordan, and he had no choice in the matter. The 5-10, 230-pound bruiser sucked it up and played, managing a nifty 479 yards and 2 TDs on only 93 carries. Jordan is one of those guys who gets stronger with more carries. Last season, he had 5 games in which he had double-digit carries, rolling up 375 yards and averaging 5.4 yards per carry in those games. That should be a good indicator of what he can do when the Raiders feed him the ball 20-25 times per game.

In as much as the media hype has been on the acquisition of Randy Moss to bolster their passing game, the O-line is quietly being built to start mauling the ground game. The Raiders brought in respected OL coach Jim Colletto, the former head coach at Purdue who has coached the Ravens’ offensive line for the past 6 years. The Raven’s twice broke their franchise record for rushing yards under Colletto’s tutelage: Once in 2000 when they won the Super Bowl, and again in 2003 when Jamal Lewis just missed the NFL single-season rushing record with 2,066 yards. “His ability to coach and develop football players, and the style of running game he’s been exposed to is the style I’ve been around, and the same one as (offensive coordinator) Jimmy Raye,” Turner said about Colletto last month.

Future Pro Bowl RT Robert Gallery was the 2nd overall pick in the 2004 draft and did a great job last season. For the last 7 or 8 games, he was as good as any right tackle in the league. He was joined by another rookie, Jake Grove, at the right guard spot. Grove did a good job with excellent technical prowess, so good that the Raiders are going to pencil him in as their starting center. The starting guards figure to be Langston Walker (345 pounds) and Brad Badger (320 pounds). Both are strong and tenacious, and they excelled in man-on-man blocking schemes. 7-year veteran LT Barry Sims rounds out the starting unit and he’s only missed 2 games in 4 years. Sims held up so well last year that the young Gallery was moved to the right instead of Sims, who was expected to slide over.

Norv Turner’s schemes are fueled by slashing runs off-tackle, breaking off big chunks of yardage and tiring out the opponents’ front seven. Consider this: 5 RBs have reached 17+ total TDs under Turner, either as an offensive coordinator or a head coach.

Emmitt Smith – 19 ('92)

Terry Allen – 21 ('96)

Stephen Davis – 17 ('99)

Ricky Williams – 17 ('02)

L. Tomlinson – 17 ('03)

The knock we’ve heard most often about Jordan is that he won’t get many touches since the Raiders will air out the ball so often. That’s silly. Norv Turner is committed to running the football. And if you’re still not convinced that a stud RB can co-exist on a pass-happy offense, just ask Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Ahman Green, Shaun Alexander or even Brian Westbrook, who have all recently been top-10 fantasy backs in top-10 passing offenses.

We’ve slotted Jordan as around the 10th or 11th RB on our board (your scoring system might vary) and the truth of it is – We’re holding back a little in his projections. If he stays healthy all year, Jordan is a guy who could creep up over 1,500 yards from scrimmage and 15 total TDs. Oakland has 8 games against defenses that allowed 15+ TD runs last year, including a juicy week #15 game vs. Cleveland’s 32nd-ranked rushing defense in 2004. LaMont will make a superb #2 fantasy RB and if you somehow snag him as your #3 RB you should sit back and chuckle out loud.

Edited by spain

Stud running back who is going to a team that will use him a lot as the sole rb and as a receiver out of the backfield.  Huge upside potential here.  Couldnt beat out Cumar, but few rb's could.  Look for a nice year, alot better than several rb's taken before him...

855513[/snapback]

I wouldn't call him a stud just yet..

Stud running back who is going to a team that will use him a lot as the sole rb and as a receiver out of the backfield.  Huge upside potential here.  Couldnt beat out Cumar, but few rb's could.  Look for a nice year, alot better than several rb's taken before him...

855513[/snapback]

Or he could be another Troy Hambrick (and countless others). Looked great when he was backing up a great RB but couldn't carry the load.

We may be shut down for a while..... Broncos had preselected, but it looks like his preselects were taken. He was up all night, and he's not here now. :D

billay.... not a Jordan believer, eh? That guy is all over the place ADP wise. Either you think he's going 1350-250-11, or you think he's 950-200-6. Some think Norv will give him 300+, others think he'll be around 225. I guess you are in the later, with him losing GL carries to Crockett?

We may be shut down for a while..... Broncos had preselected, but it looks like his preselects were taken. He was up all night, and he's not here now.  :D

billay.... not a Jordan believer, eh? That guy is all over the place ADP wise. Either you think he's going 1350-250-11, or you think he's 950-200-6. Some think Norv will give him 300+, others think he'll be around 225. I guess you are in the later, with him losing GL carries to Crockett?

855521[/snapback]

If he was planning on going to bed makes you wonder why he took a team in the first place :D

Fargas was supposed to be the man there a couple years ago ... anybody think he cuts into the carries?

If he was planning on going to bed makes you wonder why he took a team in the first place :D

Fargas was supposed to be the man there a couple years ago ... anybody think he cuts into the carries?

855523[/snapback]

darn kids :D:D

I've owned the guy in one league or another for the last few years, and never gotten anything out of him, even when he had a chance to shine. Why, all of a sudden, he's a top 20 back, when's he's gone to a place where no running back has done particularly well since Chuckie and Charlie Garner. I'm not saying that the kid doesn't have any upside, but that he's obviously a better pick than a Barlow, Dunn, or Staley seems dubious to me. Having said that, I may tab him as a keeper in DOH! :D

Yeah, I know  - just was looking at the value on the board - 1st tier WR vs. 2nd or 3rd tier RB :D

855500[/snapback]

hey nogo

I had a similar choice in a recent (new league) dynasty draft last week.

I took LT also and then got Moss and Harrison. Holt and CJ were gone. This probably was due to a lot of the rookie rbs going early. After that i think i was feeling so good, i reached a lot to fill out my team. Though i did get Cmart for my 2nd rb.

It will be interesting to see how your team fills out, i've nerver gone rb, wr, wr, rb before.

hey nogo

I had a similar choice in a recent (new league) dynasty draft last week.

I took LT also and then got Moss and Harrison. Holt and CJ were gone. This probably was due to a lot of the rookie rbs going early. After that i think i was feeling so good, i reached a lot to fill out my team. Though i did get Cmart for my 2nd rb.

It will be interesting to see how your team fills out, i've nerver gone rb, wr, wr, rb before.

855539[/snapback]

I believe that the last 2 times I have had the number 1 pick in my local I have gone RB-WR-WR-RB ... IMO it's hard not to.

Exactly, just like the Raider RB situation has looked every year.

855536[/snapback]

You mean like when Charlie Garner caught 100 passes for them out of the backfield a few years ago? :D