[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Teams Chances This Year

Chief Dick

My team: The Pittsburgh Steelers

The surprise team of the league last year, the Steelers reeled off win after win, knocking off two undefeated teams (including the eventual Superbowl winners, the Patriots). And while their record (15-1 in the regular season, a narrow win over the jets in the conference semifinals) would indicate the possibility of a fifth Superbowl for the storied franchise, the chances of a return to the AFC title game might be a more difficult road for the Black and Gold.

The ease of schedule (according to the Sporting News, the Steelers have the third easiest schedule in the league) could give them an advantage over the revamped Baltimore Ravens and the Jekyll-and-Hyde Cincinnati Bengals. Unfortunately, while the Ravens changed to make a run for the AFC championship (Derrick Mason, rookie Mark Clayton, the return of Jamal Lewis), the Steelers lost both talent and depth (most notably Plaxico Burress--like him, hate him--he is a threat). WR Cedrick Wilson is new this season--but what the Steelers did not reach out and find was a starter to compliment Hines Ward. It could be feast, or more possibly famine for the Steeltown faithful.

OFFENSE

Ben Roethlisberger had a record-breaking first season at the controls of the Steeler offense. But on closer inspection, it is pretty evident the Big Ben didn't throw his way to AFC title game. The Steelers ran 62% of the time, so Ben's caretaker role was one that he handled well (though I suspect grudgingly). Critics felt that he wore down as the season waned and I tend to agree. This season he should be prepared for the longer schedule and may be more prolific in the passing game, depending upon:

1. Jerome Bettis? Yep. He was nothing short of impressive last year, picking up the ball (literally) that Duce Staley couln't carry as a result of lingering injuries. The question in Steeler camp will be--is Duce going to be the dual threat (catching, running) that the Steelers envisioned, or will it be the Jerome Bettis show? For my money, I hope that it is Duce. I like Bettis, but he isn't the receiver that Staley is. Next season, the Steelers better start looking for a rookie RB with some upside or get Verron Haynes in the game. Duce isn't a spring flower anymore.

Ben will need some options now that Burress is gone, and I don't think rookie Fred Gibson will be ready to take that spot. Could be a problem for the passing game very early in the season.

2. Heath Miller? Gulp. The Steelers have not used a tight end effectively since Eric Green (yeah, I know...that's been a while). Marc Bruener languished at the position (if anyone remembers, he was PASS catching tight end at Washington) and they made him into a tackle for most of his career. If the Steelers work him into the gameplan early (and he has a Heap-like rookie year) things could be very interesting for the Steelers. He could be the solution to the Plaxico Burress loss.

DEFENSE

The Steeler defense was tremendous up front last season, stopping the run and pressuring the opposing quarterbacks. The knock on the Steelers (forever, it seems...wake up Mel Blount) is the secondary. Safety Troy Polamalu was as good as advertised in his second season, and James Farrior might be the most underrated linebacker in the NFL period. Backup to starter Larry Foote was also steady for the Steelers. Again, success will depend upon:

1. Ricardo Colclough? Yikes...the kid has raw ability but even the most ardent Steeler fan takes a deep breath when Ricardo and Ike Taylor are out there. Willie Williams (born in the Paleolithic era) played as well as Willie Williams could play at 67 years of age, but it's time for the kids to play. Second rounder Bryant McFadden is talented but untested. If McFadden can pick up the defense, he will be in the nickel in no time.

2. Travis Kirshke? Um...yeah. I know. Who is Kaiser Soze? Who is Travis Kirshke? He's the guy who has to play in the stead of Kino Van Oelhoffen when Oelhoffen is out. Kimo is not pretty, but he is effective. He doesn't get turned out and he keeps the linebackers clean (that's the beauty of the 3-4). He may not get the praise, but he is making the plays that make the plays. If Kirshke can develop into a power in that spot, both will be fresh and healthy, and that means more Steel Curtain for the league.

That's my take.

862872[/snapback]

I think this is a very good analysis Ruffian and a very good read as well. :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not saying its impossible--I just dont think its likely. But that kind of improvement isnt maintainable. At that rate in 2007 they'll be giving up 0 points and the defense will be scoring 2 tds a game.  :D

865449[/snapback]

Nobody said anything about maintaining that kind of improvement. I just think... wow, come to think of it, I can't wait til 2007. :D

You may think its obnoxious and stupid to "challenge" yer level of fandom but yer the one who said you werent really a fan, dummy. You said you were a fan until Snyder came to town and skylive called you on it. I did also.

I have been a fan my entire life and I have never considered rooting against my team.  It is only my opinion, of course, but a fan never roots for his team to lose for a draft pick. Under that line of reasoning, you should hope yer team goes 0-16 before the season starts so they can be guaranteed the 1st pick. That would be awesome!!  :D

Further, yer level of knowledge of the redskins situation is pretty bad. You have still failed to answer my question about why you think Taylor wont play this year. That is just silly to include in an analysis of how the Redskins will do because there cannot be a trial until next year. How could he not play this year? What did you base that conclusion on?

Finally, when you call someone a homer for a team yer saying wont do well, the implication is that yer not a homer for that team. So, yes, I am a Redskins homer and fan, and you are not a Redskins homer and fan.

Maybe I should re-phrase the question: who is your favorite NFL team?

Keep the backbencher chatter down please.  :D If we need second stringers we'll call you.

864934[/snapback]

Well yea, I hate what Snyder has done to the team. I still watch hoping for the best, but I know they will suck in the back of my mind.

And there is a difference between a fan and a homer. A fan roots for his team. A homer is delusional regarding his team and starts dumb arguments LIKE THIS about his team. I'm not a redskins homer. You are.

So, I'm done with this argument. Carry on.

Denver will be the AFC team to beat this year. Why the optimism (aside from being a homer) here's why:

Offense:

The offensive line lost only Dan Neil who was injured most of last year anyway and played through the pain. He was a warrior, but not as effective as years past. The O-line should actually improve with few changes from last year to this year. Bell is going to be a fantastic RB. He hits the hole at a 100 mph and is a true breakaway threat. Lelie finally started playing more to his potential and the emergence of Putzier, look for the tight end to get more looks since Sharpe. Watts is a quality up and coming WR that gives them great depth that they haven't had in a long time.

Plummer was very erratic last year, but I don't think he will struggle as much this year. Look for him to bounce back and have a nice season this year. More weapons at the receiver position, a slightly improved O-line, and a better RB threat than last year all point to great things this season.

Defense:

This is going to be either sink or swim. Yes they picked up a number of underperforming D-lineman from the Browns. Yes, most people think that these 4 will all be starting with Denver. Believe it or not, they will all be part of a rotation, but only 2 will probably start. The key next year is Trevor Pryce. As long as his back holds up, he is an absolute beast and releive alot of the presure off of the newcomers.

The other nice addition is Gold. Very fast, and 2 years removed from ACL surgery will help solidify the depth at linebacker. They have a great group of linbackers and if you've ever watched Wilson play middle linebacker, then you've seen how hard this guy hits. Holly cow!!!

In the secondary, Champ is solid on one side and Walls is good but not great on the other. The question mark is the safety position. Some new faces will be playing here and I'm not sure what they'll have.

Denver also worked on improving special teams. They picked up Sauebrun to improve the punting position, and drafted a punt/kick returner to help with field position.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Denver (didn't look this up) has a winning record over the past 4 years against New England. So if they end up playing the Patsies, then I think Denver can take them. The team they really struggle with is Baltimore. I don't remember the last time they beat Baltimore. Oh, look who's on the shedule this year.

Anyway, I think Denver has the talent to take care of business this year. Barring another late season collapse, they could be going to the promised land for the 6th time in history.

Edited by NAUgrad

I'll keep is short and sweet.

Marco and Julius are the keys. If they are both healthy this team will push the Eagles for the division.

It is really that simple for the Cowboys. The defense obviously will rebound and Bledsoe will just have to not make a ton of mistakes. If Rivera and Jones can play 13 or more games, he won't.

I'll keep is short and sweet.

Marco and Julius are the keys.  If they are both healthy this team will push the Eagles for the division.

It is really that simple for the Cowboys.  The defense obviously will rebound and Bledsoe will just have to not make a ton of mistakes.  If Rivera and Jones can play 13 or more games, he won't.

865974[/snapback]

I think the Cowboys could concievably push the Eagles for the division. The Redskins and Giants certainly won't. Getting Dan Campbell back will help quite a bit.

I think the Cowboys will make the playoffs at 10-6 or 11-5, not as a division winner, but as a wild-card.

I think the Cowboys could concievably push the Eagles for the division.  The Redskins and Giants certainly won't.  Getting Dan Campbell back will help quite a bit.

I think the Cowboys will make the playoffs at 10-6 or 11-5, not as a division winner, but as a wild-card.

865981[/snapback]

Yer a Cowboys fan. Figures. :D

The Tennessee Titans were in salary cap he!! this year and basically had to blow up the team. They will be starting 2 new DE's, 2 new CB's, and a new Safety. Thats just the defense! This team will have alot of problems trying to stop opposing offenses which could make for some serious score fests!

Steve McNair is back with a vengeance! He has lost 20 pounds and seems to be geniunely excited about playing for new OC Norm Chow. Volek will be there in the event that McNair is injured. Chris Brown has looked great, when he is healthy. He has yet to prove that he is durable enough to play rb in the NFL. Look for the Titans to bring in a rb to backup Brown(Travis Henry hopefully). Derrick Mason was cut in a salary cap move so the starting wr's are Drew Bennett and Tyrone Calico. The Titans actually drafted 3 pretty decent wr's in hopes of developing some depth at the wr position.

This will be a long, long season for the Titans. A completely inexperienced defense and brittle skill positions on offense doesnt bode well for Gods team this year.I think 5-11 is a reasonable estimate of their record. If they should win 8 games somehow, Jeff Fisher should be Coach of the Year and immediately be enshrined in Canton.

Bears: 7-9. I'm giving them a whole seven victories because I'm optimistic that Grossman will be able to play more than three games this year and because the NFC North doesn't have a really strong team. But Da Bears won't be competitive until at least 2006.

Colts: 12-4... again. I've lost faith in Dungy's ability to build a respectable defense and, therefore, any hope the Colts have of retaining home-field advantage. Instead of losing at Foxboro, the Colts' defense will get run over in a blizzard at Heinz Field in January. Peyton will have another disappointing season, throwing only 40 TDs and winning another :D league MVP.

:D Ill just sip this coffee and watch the skins fans fight amongst themselves..

865228[/snapback]

I don't like all the slapping, scratching and incessant crying from the Skins fans, but I'll pull up my easy chair and hope one finally connects.

The Cowboys will be 8-8 this year. The defense will be awesome, but the offense will give away too many games. Expect scores like 10-6 to dominate the year one way or the other. However, Julius Jones will a top 3 fantasy back. Period.

Now back to the slow fight. I think I see Dannyboy Snyder crawling up Joe Gibbs' ass in fear.

..... hmmmm, my team's chances, my team's chances :D

..... i think the 49ers have a chance to win about 6 games. az twice, we'll see what happens with alexander in sea, chi, NYG, possibly wash, jax, hou, Tenn

...I do not know what will be their ruin this year, but I bet they(Eagles) will "back in" for a wildcard at best...

...I see Cowboys turning in a 10-6 record and hosting a Wild card game this year.

HITR

863615[/snapback]

If the Eagles and Cowboys are both wildcards then who do you have winning the division?

Argue with me.  I miss anything?  :D

I honestly believe it is as simple for the Cowboys as I posted.

866134[/snapback]

It always is simple, isnt it? I would argue with you, dillweed, but I was raised to believe that the mentally handicapped should be respected and not mocked. :D

Bears: 7-9.  I'm giving them a whole seven victories because I'm optimistic that Grossman will be able to play more than three games this year and because the NFC North doesn't have a really strong team.  But Da Bears won't be competitive until at least 2006.

Colts: 12-4... again.  I've lost faith in Dungy's ability to build a respectable defense and, therefore, any hope the Colts have of retaining home-field advantage.  Instead of losing at Foxboro, the Colts' defense will get run over in a blizzard at Heinz Field in January.  Peyton will have another disappointing season, throwing only 40 TDs and winning another :D league MVP.

866201[/snapback]

Opinions on two teams - what a loser this Swerski a$$#0Le is.

This thread is for real fans, not hedgers so get lost. Pick a team and stick with it, idiot.

Opinions on two teams - what a loser this Swerski a$$#0Le is.

This thread is for real fans, not hedgers so get lost.  Pick a team and stick with it, idiot.

866459[/snapback]

Don't worry, Vet. I'm sure that one day you'll find a job, your wife will take you back, and the Jets will have their own stadium. Your massive inferiority complex won't force you to act like an obnoxious jerk-off forever. Keep the faith, brother! :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Ok. I will jump into the Washington Redskins fray for a second. I am not a Skins fan, but I dont dislike them like I do the Eagles and Cowboys so I think I can be somewhat unbiased. The best thing that has happened to the Redskins in the Snyder era is Greg Williams. He is the best DC in the game. Period! He willed a beaten up Redskins defense to be the #1 D in the league last year, and that was with an injured Arrington and Taylor being a rook. Back a few years ago when he was the Titans DC, and the Ravens D got all the publicity, the Titans had a higher rated defense! The man is as good as they come and I wish Tennessee could somehow steal him away from Washington.

The Skins have 2 MAJOR issues that have not been addressed. First, Gibbs has no confidence at all in Patrick Ramsey. NONE! And everybody friggin knows it, including Ramsey. So, every bad pass, every bad int, every sack, the fans are going to be booing Ramsey and calling for the rookie. And of course, that will crush Ramsey confidence. Then Campbell will come in in the 2nd half of some game around midseason and run around and make a few plays, which will exacerbate the calls for Ramseys head in DC. A vicious cycle that will lead to a below average season.

The second problem is that even with Greg Williams as DC, how can that defense play as good as they did last year? They played light years above their heads. Again, I attribute alot of that to Williams, because I watched his work with the Titans. But I just dont see that defense playing at that level again. They will be good, but not to that level. With a weaker defense and a QB with shattered confidence, this team wont make the playoffs. And thats with the weak evil sisters, Giants and Cowboys in their division.

Ok.  I will jump into the Washington Redskins fray for a second.  I am not a Skins fan, but I dont dislike them like I do the Eagles and Cowboys so I think I can be somewhat unbiased.  The best thing that has happened to the Redskins in the Snyder era is Greg Williams.  He is the best DC in the game.  Period!  He willed a beaten up Redskins defense to be the #1 D in the league last year, and that was with an injured Arrington and Taylor being a rook.  Back a few years ago when he was the Titans DC, and the Ravens D got all the publicity, the Titans had a higher rated defense!  The man is as good as they come and I wish Tennessee could somehow steal him away from Washington.

The Skins have 2 MAJOR issues that have not been addressed.  First, Gibbs has no confidence at all in Patrick Ramsey.  NONE!  And everybody friggin knows it, including Ramsey.  So, every bad pass, every bad int, every sack, the fans are going to be booing Ramsey and calling for the rookie.  And of course, that will crush Ramsey confidence.  Then Campbell will come in in the 2nd half of some game around midseason and run around and make a few plays, which will exacerbate the calls for Ramseys head in DC.  A vicious cycle that will lead to a below average season.

The second problem is that even with Greg Williams as DC, how can that defense play as good as they did last year?  They played light years above their heads.  Again, I attribute alot of that to Williams, because I watched his work with the Titans.  But I just dont see that defense playing at that level again.  They will be good, but not to that level.  With a weaker defense and a QB with shattered confidence, this team wont make the playoffs.  And thats with the weak evil sisters, Giants and Cowboys in their division.

867002[/snapback]

I forgot he coached in Tennessee. Yer right, Williams is outstanding and hes not going anywhere. There is already a deal in place locking him in as Gibbs' successor I guarantee. They had to to get him to take the job.

And I think yer dead wrong about Gibbs and Ramsey--Gibbs has taken an unbelievable amount of heat up here for the Brunell travesty. Everyone in the league knew Brunell was done but Gibbs, Snyder and Cerratto and Gibbs got burned real bad. He is not used to that and learned from it. So while I agree that the Campbell pick showed he is looking in a different direction in the future, this year is all Ramseys and he can do what he wants with it like Brees in SD (or far worse). I will bet now that barring injuries Campbell never takes the field on a meaningful play this season.

All accounts out of minis have been Ramsey is a different guy, far more cool and collected. And he has been in the entire offseason. And yes, I am a homer.