[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody else tired of hearing this?

Jimmy Neutron

Cut for the Fox Sports NFL Headlines:

• Chiefs CB Warfield gets four-game suspension

• Redskins' Taylor allowed to travel before criminal trial

• Dolphins' McMichael arrested for allegedly hitting wife

What the hell is wrong with these guys?

Cut for the Fox Sports NFL Headlines:

• Chiefs CB Warfield gets four-game suspension

• Redskins' Taylor allowed to travel before criminal trial

• Dolphins' McMichael arrested for allegedly hitting wife

What the hell is wrong with these guys? 

876081[/snapback]

Tired of it myself, but face it... these guys play a violent game, get paid oodles of money for PLAYING said game... right, PLAYING... these guys are, for the most part, big kids... hey, I'm sure they work hard, but they've grown accustomed to getting what they want, when they want it.... hard to ground these guys in reality when they're makin' millions and getting whatever they want...

I wish I had a link, but NFL players don't get in trouble with John Law at a rate any different than the general populace; it's just that WHENEVER it happens, it's news.

I wish I had a link, but NFL players don't get in trouble with John Law at a rate any different than the general populace; it's just that WHENEVER it happens, it's news.

876122[/snapback]

You've got a point there. In Chicago, David Terrell was busted for unpaid driving tickets. Tank Johnson had a loaded gun in his car recently. These things happen, but don't make the news unless it's a celebrity.

Hitting a woman is inexcusable...I don't care how it comes out in the wash. That's the act of a coward. DUI's, guns...that crap will happen too, but McMichael is a bum in my book.

Edited by gilthorp

876122[/snapback]

Not sure ... would like to see that stats on that. It isn't as bad as Basketball, is it?

In football, about 2,000 people - do we see this in a general population of 2,000 people?

Best I can do on short notice....

American Statistical Association

In the past two months, two NFL players have been charged with murder: Baltimore Ravens all-pro linebacker Ray Lewis and Carolina Panthers wide receiver Rae Carruth. The charges against these men have stirred debate over whether professional football players are more prone to violent behavior than members of the general population, a debate that was a feature of the coverage of the O.J. Simpson trial.

This topic of the seeming prevalence of violence among football players was tackled by Chance months ago in an article by Alfred Blumstein and Jeff Benedict. Their article grew out of the book Pros and Cons by Benedict and Don Yaeger, which describes the high rate of arrest by NFL football players and suggests corrective action is needed. In "Criminal Violence of NFL Players Compared to the General Population" (Chance, Vol. 12, No. 3, Summer 1999, pp. 12-15), Chance authors present data that demonstrate the violent crime rate among professional football players is actually less than that among other males of the same age and race.

Benedict and Yaegar collected data concerning arrest records of 509 NFL players. Their book reports that 21 percent of 509 NFL players had been arrested for something more serious than a minor brush with the law. The Chance article calculates rates for the general population and compares them to those of the football players, and concludes that despite what may appear to be a high prevalence rate of arrests for serious offenses among NFL players, these players in fact "seem to have a lower [crime] rate than the comparable population," even though they are members of a profession that rewards violence on the football field.

an article last year by Alfred Blumstein and Jeff Benedict in Chance magazine, which is published by the American Statistical Association, reported that the crime rate among professional football players was much lower than that among other people of the same age and racial background overall.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chance99/hilites123.html

Anyway, it appears that while the crime rate among NFL players may NOT be lower than the general public, it IS lower than their peer group in general.

Hitting a woman is inexcusable...I don't care how it comes out in the wash. That's the act of a coward... McMichael is a bum in my book.

876128[/snapback]

You won't find me disagreeing with that in most cases.

Tired of it myself, but face it... these guys play a violent game, get paid oodles of money for PLAYING said game... right, PLAYING... these guys are, for the most part, big kids... hey, I'm sure they work hard, but they've grown accustomed to getting what they want, when they want it....  hard to ground these guys in reality when they're makin' millions and getting whatever they want...

876096[/snapback]

So are you saying what they are doing is OK? :D Most Guys in the league are good upstanding citizens and they PLAY the same game. There are buttholes in every profession including sports. If you want to hurt these guys they need to start being locked up, suspended for games and fined HUGE amounts of $$$ not $10,000.

Sports figures have been getting in trouble with the law since professional sports have been around. Of course years ago alot of things were kept on the dl or covered up so they wouldn't get out for public consumption, but the fact of the matter is they are no different from the rest of us. Alot of them have their demons to contend with and since their job keeps them in the public eye, it just seems to us like it's out of control. Fred accross town smacks his wife and you don't hear about it or if you do you hardly give it a second thought. A high profile athlete does it and were appalled.

Don't be so shocked. They have every right to be jerks like the rest of us.