[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Biggest First Round Bust Ever!

McBoog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently y'all are forgetting about a little gem of a player that I like to call Dimitrius Underwood. :D

I remember that whole very sad story! A very troubled person! :D

I know I said "first round" but the earlier point of a top 3, maybe even top 5 is more of what I was thinking. These are the guys that are supposed to be "IT".

I still think Leaf, due to the collateral damage he caused other than an inability to make a difference on the field. As I said in my earlier post, the effects were felt in the Charger organization for almost a decade AFTER he left.

The ONLY good thing that came from the Leaf experience, was that it scared the Chargers off of drafting another QB early, i.e. Vick and going with the RB instead. I think the kids name is Lawranian Tomlilor or something like that :lol:

Leaf and Mandarich are probably the top 2.

Also Lawrence Phillips, Brian Bosworth, and (I know some of them have been mentioned) - but that was a bad run for Penn State RB's - Blair Thomas, Kijana Carter and Curis Enis.

Oh and the Lions took Andre Ware at #7 to further enhance their fabulous drafting ineptness :D

Edited by bioya

Leaf - let's not forget that the Chargers, in order to move up one spot, traded two first round picks, a second round pick and four time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.

The Cards moved back one spot to 3 but weren't going to take Leaf probably anyways, as they had Jake Plummer on their roster.

Mandarich? The Pack used him with their selection, and only burned that one. Not 4.

This gets my vote

mario williams

u heard it here first!!

Actually, no I didn't... :D

mandarich. no other bust was even close to his expectation level.

Sorry, but saying Mandarich is stupid. At least he played and started for a few seasons! Remember, he was a Colts starting guard from 96-98 and kept Manning from missing a game. Also, if GB never had Mandarich, they never would have had Ron Wolf and Brett Favre. Jamal Reynolds was a much bigger disappointment than Mandarich!

Ryan Leaf hands down.

Actually, what about Andre Wadsworth? I know after Arizona took him, Ron Wolf said he was willing to pull a Ditka and give up his whole draft for him. D'oh!!

Further proof to never draft a QB in the first round!

Edited by Todd1

C'mon - why no love for Tim Couch? He was a number ONE pick afterall, and picked before a couple of pretty good QB's - C-Pep and McNabb I think...

Couch started quite a few games and even took his team to the playoffs.

Was he everything a 1st overall is supposed to be? Of course not; but he wasn't a screamin' bust either. He had decent interest when he was available as a FA, before it was determined that his arm and confidence were shot.

I certianly think Alex Smith deserves some consideration here too. After all, he plays for a team know for historic QB/WR tandems that's made back-up (Steve Young) and sub-par (Jeff Garcia) QBs into pro-bowlers and Super Bowl winners. And yet no one, even now, believes he has any real chance of becoming anything significant anytime soon...even with future stud Vernon Davis to on his squad.