[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

for those interested...

Bier Meister

so.... i was getting a bit frustrated with the denver market- in managment positions you give up you life (and pay is still so-so), or they want to hire at entry level. i felt that if i go mngmt, i wanted more for the sacrifice of family..... if not i was thinking part time..... but couldn't get shifts off that i wanted. i started broadening my search to include wine related jobs to try to gain some knowledge on the sales side. one of the places i contacted is a liquor store (i wanted to conduct tastings)..... i go in to talk to them on wed. find out they are trying to change the concept of "wine store." they want to create a lounge/tavern and provide an atmosphere where someone can relax, study, work by the fireplace and spend some time tasting misc wines available..... "starrbucks of wine bars." the tavern will target happy hour and feature small plates specifically designed to pair with the wines. they want to be able to hold misc pairings, events, special groups, classes (ie: a night in piedmont, corporate functions, etc). i have zero experience selling wine or working retail (i am not worried about either)... they want to groom me into being a culinary laison..... so long term plans for me to contribute to menu development, running events, and doing those nightly tastings you often see..... anyway, most important part is that i can get my sundays and mondays off. couldn't sleep last night thinking about regional food and wines... and flavors of wines from those regions... i am pretty psyched about this... i start on tuesday

That sounds awesome. Congrats Mike!!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so.... i was getting a bit frustrated with the denver market- in managment positions you give up you life (and pay is still so-so), or they want to hire at entry level. i felt that if i go mngmt, i wanted more for the sacrifice of family..... if not i was thinking part time..... but couldn't get shifts off that i wanted. i started broadening my search to include wine related jobs to try to gain some knowledge on the sales side. one of the places i contacted is a liquor store (i wanted to conduct tastings)..... i go in to talk to them on wed. find out they are trying to change the concept of "wine store." they want to create a lounge/tavern and provide an atmosphere where someone can relax, study, work by the fireplace and spend some time tasting misc wines available..... "starrbucks of wine bars." the tavern will target happy hour and feature small plates specifically designed to pair with the wines. they want to be able to hold misc pairings, events, special groups, classes (ie: a night in piedmont, corporate functions, etc). i have zero experience selling wine or working retail (i am not worried about either)... they want to groom me into being a culinary laison..... so long term plans for me to contribute to menu development, running events, and doing those nightly tastings you often see..... anyway, most important part is that i can get my sundays and mondays off. couldn't sleep last night thinking about regional food and wines... and flavors of wines from those regions... i am pretty psyched about this... i start on tuesday

cool

:D

Good point.

let's do it! can you and sld deal with the american alps. i think it would work very well in vail and/or aspen.

edit: was going to add det to that, but know he has some big opportunities in NC (still welcome to join any venture i'm a part of).

Edited by Bier Meister

let's do it! can you and sld deal with the american alps. i think it would work very well in vail and/or aspen.

edit: was going to add det to that, but know he has some big opportunities in NC (still welcome to join any venture i'm a part of).

:D

hmm do u need a food tester/ bouncer :D

As I brought you together, I will need ot be a part. I'll work the finances on the backend and man the BBQ upfront, like we've discussed for Hawaii.......

• 1 month later...

been a glorified stock boy for a little while, but still fun helping customers select wine. the new store (26,000 sqft) opens early august... the kitchen tavern will open in nov. this week i've started to talk to them more about defining my role..... we have been doing bier and liquor tastings on fridays, and wine on sat. one of the gals has just been getting some cheese and crackers. they are starting to put me in charge of the food for these things and significantly increased the budget..... we are tasting a zin, a pinot noir, a sauv blanc and another that escapes me this moment.... there is no kitchen at the store so i am having to make things at home and transporting them over (i really don't have much equiptment for catering out of my home so i feel a little handcuffed). plus they gave it to me yesterday for today and i worked from 10-9....

so for tonight:

a little gouda

:cough: take-n- bake bbq chicken pizza

and i am making.... lobster ravioli with sauv blanc creme sauce

sesame seared shrimp over asian slaw with shallot, soy, ginger vinaigrette... on wonton crisps.

had to go simple on short notice..

my fun is beginning

today's food:

all over sliced baguette-

- smoked duck w/ mixed berry chutney

- grilled andouille w/ onion/bier relish

- carmelized pear wi/ gorganzola and bals reduction

still keeping it simple... man the home kitchen is different than the restaurant...i got used to just grabbing whatever i needed and had the space and equiptment to do anything....

still very good.

bend is very pretty. mrs bier went to grad school at humbolt... we would take trips up to oregon.... love the NW coast in particular

holy smokes, how did i forget that? damnable short-term memory. well, if you know humboldt, you understand how I forgot. :D

Bier, congrats on the new endeavor. :D Hope this place picks up for you and provides you with all of the opportunities you're looking for. Save some duck fat for an order of fries tomorrow night.

for tomorrow (running a gammit on dry roses, with a cuvee):

- seared lamb, herb crusted with mint, shallot demi (didn't make the demi)

- oysters with pamegranate mignonette

- salmon over potato cake with lemon dill creme fraische

today's food:

all over sliced baguette-

- smoked duck w/ mixed berry chutney

- grilled andouille w/ onion/bier relish

- carmelized pear wi/ gorganzola and bals reduction

still keeping it simple... man the home kitchen is different than the restaurant...i got used to just grabbing whatever i needed and had the space and equiptment to do anything....

still very good.

:D To the no-pro this doesn't sound so "simple" to me, but it sure sounds good.

Edited by TDFFFreak