[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Paterno is at death's door

Menudo

I think JoePa would have had the easiest time in getting the crime exposed to the public and make it right, but there were others that could have tried as well, albeit, more difficult to bring this out. It could have been done.

Again, no one had the power to cut Sandusky off completely from Penn State like Paterno did.

Part of the anger people have towards Paterno is not exactly fair. He was held to a much higher standard because of the reputation people like Menudo (it's only an example here, I could use the family I grew up next door to as an example too) loved to propagate about him. That he was more than a football coach, that he was a fatherly leader for a team, a program, and a university. For those who follow college athletics (or perhaps more appropriately, the media), Paterno was a contrast to the Bobby Bowden's, the Jimmy Johnson's, the Nick Saban's, the John Calipari's, the Jim Harrick's, the Tim Floyd's, etc. (before you get mad at me for including names of coaches, I'm from Seattle, we're the home to Don James, Dennis Erickson, Mike Price, Rick Neuheisel, and Pete Carroll, there's a large swath of names to put here for a variety of reasons). He was above the sleaze of criminals, boosters, agents, and rules violations that we all know permeate the major sports at the Division 1 level. He did things "THE RIGHT WAY". We've always been told that.

The fact is that his mistake was worse than not graduating players, or improper benefits, or falsifying grades/SAT scores, or getting boosters to provide $100 handshakes. That shocks us, that disgusts us, and that makes us all wonder if anything really is sacred, or if we have been deluding ourselves into thinking things are good because we so badly want to believe they are, when in fact they are as dirty and polluted more than we could ever possibly imagine. So we blame the man everyone told us was the personification of an ideal that didn't exist, and we're disappointed.

Those who hang on to that personification are delusional. Those who want to vilify the man because he didn't do enough to stop a heinous criminal is a little overboard too. There's a lot more to this story, we've all known that for awhile, and now that Paterno has passed, I imagine a lot of it is going to start to come out. I have feeling Sandusky's actions were a lot more well known around Penn St.'s power structure than just a handful up the chain of command, and I have a feeling that Sandusky probably had a chip or two in his pocket that gave him some degree of protection from these people. That's the only rational conclusion I can make about this entire sordid mess.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between Joepa and the others is that no one is worshipping the others talking about all the great things they did.

That is 100% correct. :wacko:

Sandusky is a scumbag. So is McQueary. So are the school officials.

The only one that is being aggressively defended is Paterno. I dont give a squirt of piss about what else JoePa did good in his life if his inaction resulted in the abuse of one child. That cant be "balanced out".

You err on the side of protecting the child, period. End of discussion. JoePa didnt. nufced

I am so disturbed by the fact that people still call him Joe Pa. It's sick. I would kill my "Pa" if he did this.

I found myself doing it in my post earlier and decided to change it. I don't identify with that whole "JoePa" identity things, especially now.

On a side note, I detest that entire Joe-Pa, A-Rod, KJax etc nonsense. It's both lazy and stupid.

Carry on.

Me too. I even hate when some of my friends say "I'm going for a vaca" or "how is the fam?"...OH? "How is your vocabulary fairing?" :wacko:

I just dont like typing as much as detlef does . . .:wacko:

good point. We should probably consider ourselves lucky that Det doesn't continually refer to him as: Joseph Vincent "Joe" Paterno

I just hope that, when I die, people remember all the good I did and not focus on how verbose I was. Something like that should never erase all the good.

Again, no one had the power to cut Sandusky off completely from Penn State like Paterno did.

Really?

What about the mother of the child who was molested back in 1998, who had a tape of Sandusky admitting what he did was inappropriate, and wished could die. If she had released that tape to the media back then, do you think the guy would still have been working for the University, and been in charge of an organization that "helped" disadvantaged children? She bears a hugh burden, IMO, because she could have stopped it when it started in the 90's.

Or the janitor, another person with irrefutable proof (his eyewitness account in 2001)...could he have had the guts to go to the police and/or media with his account of what he saw? Or his immediate supervisor, to whom he reported the incident within minutes of it happening. Or McCreary, another eyewitness who saw a child being brutally anal-raped.

From a matter of law, Paterno was one of the few people that didn't have any proof...just heresay. Again, I 100% agree Paterno could have done more with what he knew....but it amazes me the anger directed toward him and only him, when there were countless others that did even less with more.

Personally, I think much of it is the fact that Paterno had a big ego...and I think many people like it when someone who is on a pedestal to so many can be knocked from it. Kinda the same way many people enjoy watching certain famous people prove they really are human by making terrible mistakes...it makes the rest of us think "See, they aren't any better than us" or, "Ha, he wasn't the guy you thought he was."

I'll say one last thing on this, even though I said I would leave it alone. Joe's side of the story is out there among the insiders and those close to the family. It has been passed along by word from his son, who is an attorney. He has stated several times that it would eventually come out in public, but, he was waiting for legal processes to take place. I'm confident that it will still come out. What people will believe is up to them. I believe Joe's side of the story based upon the kind of man he showed himself to be throughout his life. If it turns out it isn't true, then I will be the first to admit that I was fooled and that there is no way to forgive Paterno. Even with his side of the story, I still wish he would have done more, as does Joe. He admitted as much. Here is his side of the story from what has been released on PSU boards for weeks now.

Based up on the allegations in 1998/99, Paterno forced Sandusky into retirement. Sandusky was never prosecuted, but was accused of indecent behavior.

Sandusky continued to show up on campus, and Paterno asked the President, Graham Spanier to ban him from the campus. He was told that he (Joe) didn't have the power to ban him, and Spanier would not do so, as he hadn't been convicted of anything.

The shower incident occurred and McQueary reported vague details of the incident to Paterno. Paterno did know it was sexual in nature, and he told McQueary he would pass on the information.

Paterno met with the Athletiic Director and the head of the campus police and reported the incident that was told to him from McQueary.

After nothing happened for 3 days, Paterno followed-up and was told a full investigation was occurring.

Having heard nothing, 3 months later, Paterno followed-up again and was told that the police and DA did not feel they had enough evidence and weren't going to pursue the matter any further. Paterno was angry and asked that Sandusky be banned from the university entirely and not be allowed to attend anything involved with the football program. He was told that as football coach, he did not have the power to ban Sandusky.

That is the story that has been passed down from trusted sources in the past at FightOnState.com It is the story that Paterno's son says that Paterno has been waiting to tell. I'm hoping Joe's side still gets told when there aren't any legal issues holding him back. Remember that he wanted to speak at a press conference after this first came out, and he was stopped by the University. Then, his lawyer son has advised him to wait before telling his story.

Based on Paterno's past history, I don't believe for a second that he would turn his head and allow these acts to continue. Even if his story is true, I still agree with him that in hindsight he could have done more. However, if his story is true, he certainly didn't just bury his head in the sand either.

Is that KoolAid delicious Menudo?

You know...all this could be resolved with a poem...

Menudo?

:wacko:

There once was a pedophile from PA

Who liked to anally rape boys all day;

The assistant coach saw it

and told JoPa of it

And the old man just looked away.

The old man's supporters were sad

Because in their eyes he could do nothing bad;

So they brought up the stories

of JoPa's gridiron glories

And if you said otherwise they got mad.

:tup:

and told JoPa of it

and told JoPa of it

Just . . . wow.

:tup:

and told JoPa of it

I've got to give credit where it is due. That was pretty damn good. :wacko:

:lol:

and told JoPa of it

:wacko: So good we all avoid the obvious jokes of using a poem style from the land of the leprechaun. :tup:

and told JoPa of it

:tipscap: Well done Wg.

Don't you all feel better now that you've had a chance to anonymously spew forth vitriol about something that you only marginally know about? After reading through this thread you would think that it was Paterno ass banging those kids based on the hatred being shoveled out by you blowhards. This is low, even for you guys. But hey, let's not let good taste and the truth get in the way of a good pile on.

Just we're clear here, I do not in any way advocate nor apologize for the behavior of anyone involved in this mess. There have been some very relevant criticisms leveled against individuals and the institution in this thread. I'm just as sure that once you're all done having your fun at Penn State's and the Paterno family's expense, you'll turn your back on this, only choosing to remember that you hate everything ever done by the institution and those associated with it because of essentially the actions of one twisted individual and the fallout from them.

Don't you all feel better now that you've had a chance to anonymously spew forth vitriol about something that you only marginally know about? After reading through this thread you would think that it was Paterno ass banging those kids based on the hatred being shoveled out by you blowhards. This is low, even for you guys. But hey, let's not let good taste and the truth get in the way of a good pile on.

Just we're clear here, I do not in any way advocate nor apologize for the behavior of anyone involved in this mess. There have been some very relevant criticisms leveled against individuals and the institution in this thread. I'm just as sure that once you're all done having your fun at Penn State's and the Paterno family's expense, you'll turn your back on this, only choosing to remember that you hate everything ever done by the institution and those associated with it because of essentially the actions of one twisted individual and the fallout from them.

How dare you accuse anyone of ignoring the truth if you're going to continue to look through this with myopic glasses and pretend that anyone is trying to throw anyone every associated with PSU under the bus. This is not, by the way, the first time you've played that pathetic card.

That is "low" and shameful. And I won't stoop to the back handed "low even for you" bit and simply say this is "low" because I've always thought more of you than that.

I am so effing sick of "great, let's just forget everything great he did just because he failed to act here". He was paid, and well, for doing all the great things he did. Further, the men he molded? They were involved in a very symbiotic relationship with him. If you had the physical tools to benefit the program, you were taught discipline and how to be a better man and football player. If he was doing this with nothing but Rudys, he'd be coaching D II and nobody would give two poops about him. That's not a knock on him, but it is what he is. Big time college coaches are like today's Carnegies. They build their fortunes and their fame, and build a few libraries along the way as well. Again, nothing wrong with that. Like anyone, they should go get theirs. But let's not pretend they're selfless martyrs.

Don't blame us for the fact that it's more important for you to think something dear to you is pure than it is that it's actually pure.