[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dad shoots son....thought he was a Turkey? Sad..son died.

TheShiznit

I just heard on the news that in Minnesota somewhere, a guy took his 8 year old son out turkey hunting and told his son to stay put whilst he went after a turkey. The son apparently didn't listen and the dad accidentally shot his son and mistook him for a turkey. Anyone from Minnesota have news on this. Hopefully it didn't involve anyone here at the Huddle. Pretty darn tragic.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard on the news that in Minnesota somewhere, a guy took his 8 year old son out turkey hunting and told his son to stay put whilst he went after a turkey. The son apparently didn't listen and the dad accidentally shot his son and mistook him for a turkey. Anyone from Minnesota have news on this. Hopefully it didn't involve anyone here at the Huddle. Pretty darn tragic.

Absolutely tragic. From 20 yards away, a guy mistakes a 9 year old boy for a turkey. Rule #1: Know your target.

Rule #1: Know your target.

There was a similar incident where a grandfather shot his grandson because the teenager was walking around outside during deer season wearing a white blanket.

An 8 year old hunting? I'm not a hunter... so maybe I'm out of bounds here, but that doesnt sit right with me.

Sad story. For the family, of course the son, and the dad that pulled the trigger.

An 8 year old hunting? I'm not a hunter... so maybe I'm out of bounds here, but that doesnt sit right with me.

Sad story. For the family, of course the son, and the dad that pulled the trigger.

I took my 7 year old with me last year, but I sure as hell didn't say "stay here, I'll be back in a little while."

I feel bad for the father as accidently killing your own son is about the worst it could be. I am not a hunter and have no interest in it, but if you take your son out to teach him how to hunt you teach in first the basics and KEEP HIM WITH YOU, so you know he is safe as there may be other hunters out there as well.

Very, very sad story.... :wacko:

Extremely careless decision by the father but nontheless incredibly sad for all involved. If there are guns involved I am certainly not going to be 20-30 yards away from my 8 year old child. As poor as the decision was it was not intentional and the guy must be in the height of agony right now. Terrible story

Edited by whomper

It's got to be stupidity. We have wild turkeys come up and practically eat out of your hand. There is absolutely no skill in hunting them whatsoever. It must be like hunting a dog or a cat. Stupid people are everywhere.

Hunting must be an excuse for you city slickers to come out to the country, dress up in play camo, and ignore our "No Trespassing and Hunting" signs we've got posted everywhere because we don't wanna hear your shooting at anything that moves. Dumbasses.

Edited by TimC

I can't either. But he deserves whatever pit of hell he's in right now. This wasn't a hunting "accident." It was extremely poor judgment, bordering on criminal negligence.

Here's the story.

I agree and feel far worse for the child's mother or any other loved ones who weren't the blatant idiot who shot his own son.

Yo mama makes a very important distinction of the use accident. It gets brought up every time somebody mistakenly refers to an auto collision as an accident. An accident implies no fault. If dude was about to shoot and at that precise instance a large branch came crashing down on him, knocking him over and inadvertently discharging his gun which was now pointing at his son, that is an accident. Forgive the stupid analogy. I'm sure somebody who actually shoots these things could better describe a realistic situation where somebody could be shot in a truly "no-fault" situation.

None the less, this was obviously not the case. This was as much an "accident" as somebody failing to put the parking break on or curb their tires and having their car roll back into a lake with their baby inside.

The unfortunate parts of this story is that this idiot's lack of judgment had as high a cost as it did and that the cost wasn't his own life rather than his son's.

Seriously, out here in the country...you can set your watch by when the turkeys, hens and deer come out to graze. It must be a thrill for some to see them (and thus think it's a challenge to blow their heads off with their uzi), but when you see it daily, you realize there is no sport to it and it's just an excuse to shoot a gun dressed up like an f'n bush.

I agree and feel far worse for the child's mother or any other loved ones who weren't the blatant idiot who shot his own son.

Yo mama makes a very important distinction of the use accident. It gets brought up every time somebody mistakenly refers to an auto collision as an accident. An accident implies no fault. If dude was about to shoot and at that precise instance a large branch came crashing down on him, knocking him over and inadvertently discharging his gun which was now pointing at his son, that is an accident. Forgive the stupid analogy. I'm sure somebody who actually shoots these things could better describe a realistic situation where somebody could be shot in a truly "no-fault" situation.

None the less, this was obviously not the case. This was as much an "accident" as somebody failing to put the parking break on or curb their tires and having their car roll back into a lake with their baby inside.

The unfortunate parts of this story is that this idiot's lack of judgment had as high a cost as it did and that the cost wasn't his own life rather than his son's.

I think we can all agree the guy was wreckless with his sons well being. But the word accident does not imply no fault. It implies no intent. I think although stupid and tragic, there was no direct intent.

I dont know why this mattes to me but I already looked up the definition of accident so I'm posting it anyway

ac·ci·dent

–noun 1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

2. Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.

3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

4. chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident.

5. a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth.

6. Philosophy. any entity or event contingent upon the existence of something else.

7. Geology. a surface irregularity, usually on a small scale, the reason for which is not apparent.

Seriously, out here in the country...you can set your watch by when the turkeys, hens and deer come out to graze. It must be a thrill for some to see them (and thus think it's a challenge to blow their heads off with their uzi), but when you see it daily, you realize there is no sport to it and it's just an excuse to shoot a gun dressed up like an f'n bush.

That may be the case in your little suburbia where y'all pretend its the country and regularly feed the wildlife. I assure you that is not the case with truly wild turkeys. Anytime your up this way, I'd be more than happy to take you out to see if you could get closer than 1/2 a mile from a wild turkey without dressing like "an f'n bush".

By the by, the guy is an idiot and there is no excuse for not properly identifying your target, 20 yards or 200 yards.

I think we can all agree the guy was wreckless with his sons well being. But the word accident does not imply no fault. It implies no intent. I think although stupid and tragic, there was no direct intent.

I dont know why this mattes to me but I already looked up the definition of accident so I'm posting it anyway

ac·ci·dent

–noun 1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

2. Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.

3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

4. chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident.

5. a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth.

6. Philosophy. any entity or event contingent upon the existence of something else.

7. Geology. a surface irregularity, usually on a small scale, the reason for which is not apparent.

Hmm, I forget whether it was my driving instructor or whom else who drummed that distinction into my head. None the less, you may be right but society would be better off if people adopted the "no fault" version rather than the "no intent" version.

No intent absolves the person of too much culpability. As if to say that just because you didn't want to cause whatever screw up you caused, it's somehow ok that you're an idiot with extremely poor judgment and or foresight.

That may be the case in your little suburbia where y'all pretend its the country and regularly feed the wildlife. I assure you that is not the case with truly wild turkeys. Anytime your up this way, I'd be more than happy to take you out to see if you could get closer than 1/2 a mile from a wild turkey without dressing like "an f'n bush".

By the by, the guy is an idiot and there is no excuse for not properly identifying your target, 20 yards or 200 yards.

We have 4 or 5 wild turkeys walk through the woods behind us every night. Deer, hen and everything you can imagine. I could shoot 'em whenever I want to by sitting on mah back porch. I guarantee ya the hundreds of acres of oaks and farmland behind me ain't suburbia.

People just can't admit it ain't a sport. It's more of a wait until they walk around ya. :lmao:

Edit: Now I doubt if I could kill 'em without hiding behind a gun. Bow is a sport. Grabbing them with your bare hands and choking the life out of 'em is definitely a sport. Shooting them with a high-powered rifle is a pansy.

Edited by TimC

I took my 7 year old with me last year, but I sure as hell didn't say "stay here, I'll be back in a little while."

I take my 6 and 9 year old girls out deer hunting with me. Of course we sit in a blind. You have to know what you're shooting at, before you pull the trigger. There is no excuse for this.