[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Van Halen

bushwacked

A hugh (probably unmatched by a band) succession of excellent and classic singles, unparalleled stage presence, business sense and timing second to none and, as a result, legendary status.

Many of us can soundtrack large chunks of our lives to Their Satanic Majesties.

I've never seen them live, so can't comment there. And truth be told, they're not really my generation (though I consider myself a Beatles fan and they also aren't my generation). They do have some good songs... I'm just not sure I see how that translates to the legendary status they receive. I'm sure some of it is simply ignorance on my part.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please, let's just end the Van Halen bashing. there is no way in hell Eddie is not considered top 5 guitarists of all time (Rolling Stone magazine is out of their minds). I only ever paid for the DLRoth years so considering only the first 15 years, Van Halen was one of the most powerful bands of the mid 70's and early 80's. Eddie Van Halen was revolutionary to the guitar world. Very few metal bands at the time compared to them. Van Halen I ranks among the best 20 albums of all time in any rock n roller's opinions. And if you narrow that down to real heavy metal from the same era, very few bands equaled VH, very few. My advise would be to go put in VH I and jam the morning away.

IMO, it began to grind to a halt in 1990.

Not sure about that, that was actually the last period of crazy music variety and innovation: Madonna was in her prime, bands like Nine Inch Nails, Dee Lite, Massive Attack, De La Soul were busting out. I'd add ten years to that number and say music fell off a cliff with the industry round about the year 2000, after the DJ movement came and went mainstream with Carl Cox and the likes of Moby.

Since then, it's been pretty stale with few exceptions.

Edited by Pope Flick

Because 1980 to 1990 ruled?

1965 to 1980 was the premier period for me but then, that is because of my age. 1980-1990 was pretty darn good too but I got married in '83 and music buying pretty much stopped due to poverty. :wacko:

I do like some bands from 1990 onwards (Clutch and Monster Magnet leap to mind) but I did say began to grind to a halt in 1990, not halted entirely. Since then I've spent most of my efforts filling in the gaps from before and trying to discover bands from that period that I'd never heard or hadn't paid enough attention to. There are some wonderful obscure gems available now that sites like Pandora and stores like iTunes make available what was previously only available in the odd record store here and there.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Name me a better song than "smells like teen spirit". Just one. You can try but you will be wrong.

I can name better Nirvana songs than "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Pennyroyal Tea

or Dave Grohl's band, Foo Fighters

or even new Pearl Jam

or older Pearl Jam

I am a hugh grunge fan, but "Smells Like Teen Spirit" opened the door to the masses, it wasn't the pinnacle. There is great grunge music out there. I just touched the tip of the iceberg.

Like Sesame Street says, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Nirvana? There goes your cred (what little you had left).

The Beatles and Stones do not even qualify as rock .... they are just mainstream 50's rock influenced pretty hippy boys whose only competition was FOLK MUSIC get outta here and bring me some metal. This conversation is about ROCK BANDS, not folk music with violin and just order the fish for goodness sake.

Nirvana? There goes your cred (what little you had left).

The Beatles and Stones do not even qualify as rock .... they are just mainstream 50's rock influenced pretty hippy boys whose only competition was FOLK MUSIC get outta here and bring me some metal. This conversation is about ROCK BANDS, not folk music with violin and just order the fish for goodness sake.

:wacko: