[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The end of MNF

BigTen

I won't.

I'm too young to recall the TRUE glory days of MNF - I only vaguely remember Cosell and Dandy Don - but it's clearly nowhere near the event it had been in the past. I think it's a missed opportunity, actually; aside from the games being this or that, two of the biggest mistakes were hiring Dennis Miller and promptly de-balling him and not throwing über-neocon Limbaugh in there with him. I think you can tell those guys "rip away, just don't get too political" and it would've been HIGHLY entertaining. Leave Al Michaels in there to call the action, and get rid of that fat blob Madden.

Of course I might want to reconsider that comment if ESPN moves the Sunday night broadcast team into the Monday night slot.  (Or is that pretty much what's happening?)

1237702[/snapback]

IIRC, Madden/Micheals go to SNF. I think the MNF crew is up in the air a bit yet. Maguire appears to be out, at least.

Madden goes to SNF.  Michaels stays with MNF.

1237707[/snapback]

My tremendous apathy towards announcing teams in general got the better of me on that info; thanks Egret.

There is a god and he has not forsaken football fans!  :D

1237772[/snapback]

Anybody here remember that segment on NBC (must have been at least 10 years ago) when McGuire was interviewing the Steelers' Lloyd? They were talking about how the helmets protect the players head, so McGuire tried it on and then Lloyd proceeded to slap him (VERY hard) upside the head several times. When they cut back to the studio, a visably upset McGuire (it was a taped segment) was whining that Lloyd would hear from his lawyers.

To this day it's probably my favorite NFL interview!

The Monday Night crew will be Al Michaels, Joe Theisman, and someone to be named later with Michelle Tafoya on the sidelines.

God, I can't believe they gave f'n Theisman the MNF gig. All I can hope for is Maguire isn't the person to be named later.

I won't.

I'm too young to recall the TRUE glory days of MNF - I only vaguely remember Cosell and Dandy Don - but it's clearly nowhere near the event it had been in the past. I think it's a missed opportunity, actually; aside from the games being this or that, two of the biggest mistakes were hiring Dennis Miller and promptly de-balling him and not throwing über-neocon Limbaugh in there with him. I think you can tell those guys "rip away, just don't get too political" and it would've been HIGHLY entertaining. Leave Al Michaels in there to call the action, and get rid of that fat blob Madden.

1237647[/snapback]

That about sums it up. MNF hasn't been anything special for a long time & it belongs on ESPN. It is sad though that what was once such an icon is now the butt of jokes.

The Monday Night crew will be Al Michaels, Joe Theisman, and someone to be named later with Michelle Tafoya on the sidelines.

God, I can't believe they gave f'n Theisman the MNF gig. All I can hope for is Maguire isn't the person to be named later.

1238681[/snapback]

Apparently Theismann is going to spend a lot of time with Al Michaels over the off season to change his style to suit Michaels. Since Michaels is the best announcer on TV, IMO, there's hope yet.

Apparently Theismann is going to spend a lot of time with Al Michaels over the off season to change his style to suit Michaels.  Since Michaels is the best announcer on TV, IMO, there's hope yet.

1238812[/snapback]

I give him one game....er one quarter to unlearn anything Michaels teaches him. :D

I remember the glory days of MNF. At work you'd talk about watching the game that night, either at home with friends or going out to Chi-Chi's for all you can eat tacos, or something like that.

Although he was controversial, Howard Cosell was a great sportscaster. For me, he was THE MNF announcer. And the tandem of Dandy Don and Frank Gifford was an exceptionally talented team along with Howard.

Yes, MNF in its glory days is long gone. But I still tune in since I'm such a fan of football. But the announcers today do not excite me at all.

I remember the glory days of MNF.  At work you'd talk about watching the game that night, either at home with friends or going out to Chi-Chi's for all you can eat tacos, or something like that. 

1239027[/snapback]

No I'm bummed. :D

They used to have All You Can Eat Taco's!

:D