[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Read this if you have kids

muck

I was just told today that my 36 year old cousin has aggressive intestinal/colon cancer. The family thought he just had a bad case of the flu for the past month.

He has a 10 day old son.

He has no life insurance.

If you are expecting kids, or already have them, and do not own long-term disability insurand AND life insurance, go get them IMMEDIATELY!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awful. :D

It is a good reminder to people though, not everyone lives to be 76.5. I've got short and long terms disability and a few different life insurance policies, but I'm still thinking I need more.

Great reminder, Muck. Take care of your families folks - even when you are gone - now or later.

Depends on age and what not, but I pay about $20 a month for $250000 in coverage.

My wife and I each get coverage through work at the max 4 times our salaries. Hopefully that's enough in case something happens to one of us to at least help the other get on their feet for a while and take care of our daughter. The cost for each I think is around the same as Chief, give or take.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

If either one of us goes, I want the surviving parent to be able to focus on parenting and not simply surviving.

Good info here.

We have enough that should allow Muckette to be a "mom" until the youngest goes to college ... at least ... and still pay for college and private school in the interim. The focus is on providing the best support structure if a parent is absent, and (imvho) that is one thing a small private K-12 school can provide ...

Not to side track the thread, I have not talked to my cousin. But, I know him well enough to know that his wife prolly told him for the past three or four years, "you know, we need to get some life insurance" ... to which he'd prolly respond with something like "I do not want to waste my money on that crap ... lets go buy some other POS electronic doodad, go to a concert or a game instead."

As my grandfather used to say ... "Insure against the thing that can break you." I think I found an addition to my sig line.

PS - We're paying about $10 / mo for every $250,000 in coverage. 30 yr fixed term.

Wow! I had no idea it was that cheap. I lose that much every month out of pockets that aren't deep enough.

I'll have to get that kicking.

So, that's "term life insurance"... meaning that after the term is up, it's worth nothing? Is that what I want?

Wow! I had no idea it was that cheap. I lose that much every month out of pockets that aren't deep enough.

I'll have to get that kicking.

So, that's "term life insurance"... meaning that after the term is up, it's worth nothing? Is that what I want?

Term is the way to go, IMO, if you want to insure your family during the period when they are most vulnerable. Perhaps, up through your youngest kids' "graduation from college age." If the term expires after that, hopefully you're still alive and no longer need to keep paying the premiums. But if you keel over the very next day, your kids are on their own (hopefully) and your wife (or 2nd wife, or mistriss, as the case may be) will no longer be burdened with providing for your brood sans the primary bread winner. Die during the term, and they will be provided for to whatever extent you elected.

Now... I've seen a lot of movies...

If I get good life insurance, does that mean that my wife is more likely to try to kill me and make it look like an accident?

Only if she knows about the policy... Well, that's not exactly true. She'll probably end up trying to kill you anyways. But at least the cops will be able to rule the insurance proceeds out as a potential motive. :D

Only if she knows about the policy... Well, that's not exactly true. She'll probably end up trying to kill you anyways. But at least the cops will be able to rule the insurance proceeds out as a potential motive. :D

Nice use of a new graemlin. :D

I was just told today that my 36 year old cousin has aggressive intestinal/colon cancer. The family thought he just had a bad case of the flu for the past month.

He has a 10 day old son.

He has no life insurance.

If you are expecting kids, or already have them, and do not own long-term disability insurand AND life insurance, go get them IMMEDIATELY!

I am truely sadden by this news and he will be in our thoughts and prayers.

I always tend to plan way ahead. Currently I have:

250k life ins through mutal of omaha

200k full term through eerie

150k through prudentail (sp?)

then through work I have

400k on myself

100 on my wife (typo on the 200 there)

10k per twin

It cost me a total of 140 per month between the the top 3 and through work only $14 a month for the bottom three

ST and LT disability

I always preach getting this stuff while you are young. It is vital

Edited by cliaz

as soon as Mrs whomp was pregnant with my oldest we got a policy then I increased it when whompette # 2 was born.

We had a finincial advisor come to my job when we got a 401 k about 5 years ago and he told me about disability insurance. God forbid you have an injury or illness that keeps you out of work for 3 months or more this insurance kicks in. The rate and amount you recieve is all related to your income . This is an added expense and not as common as life insurance but if you can swing it its not a bad safety net to have.

Muck im sorry to hear about your cousin. My prayers are with him

Edited by whomper

This is an added expense and not as common as life insurance but if you can swing it its not a bad safety net to have.

Excellent point Whomper. The percentage of folks with life insurance is probably pretty good, but the percentage with L-T Disability is really poor from what I've read. Although most people in the know say that it is even more important than life insurance as your chance of become disabled from performing your job is much higher than passing away.