[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Someone recommend me a book

AtomicCEO

Fiction, lighthearted, funny, but an engaging story with good characters. Maybe some mystery... maybe some science... it doesn't matter.

No fantasy. And for the love of Odin, please don't recommend "A Confederacy of Dunces". Everyone told me that was funny... but it wasn't.

I've read all of Douglas Adams, Tom Robbins, and Kurt Vonnegut...

Actually... maybe I should read Hearts In Atlantis, or one of the newer tied-in King novels. Anyone read those? I know they aren't funny...

Got anything?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiction, lighthearted, funny, but an engaging story with good characters. Maybe some mystery... maybe some science... it doesn't matter.

No fantasy. And for the love of Odin, please don't recommend "A Confederacy of Dunces". Everyone told me that was funny... but it wasn't.

I've read all of Douglas Adams, Tom Robbins, and Kurt Vonnegut...

Actually... maybe I should read Hearts In Atlantis, or one of the newer tied-in King novels. Anyone read those? I know they aren't funny...

Got anything?

No Fantasy?

Because if you haven't read this book, you are really depriving yourself!!

Otherwise, skins is a good source for books. He even recommendds ones without the word 'Typical' in the title. :D

EDIT: Have you ever read 'Truman'? Not fiction, but great. How about Watership Down? Great, great book.

Many people are inclined to think this is dumb and not give it a chance. but it was great also!

Edited by Caveman_Nick

EDIT: Have you ever read 'Truman'? Not fiction, but great. How about Watership Down? Great, great book.

Many people are inclined to think this is dumb and not give it a chance. but it was great also!

Hmm... they don't seem that funny or lighthearted... but the Wicked Witch book looks interesting. :D

1) Anything by Barry Gifford

2) World's End by TC Boyle (old old school Boyle and dark dark comedy)

Anything particular by Gifford? The first thing I saw was "The Stars Above Veracruz" and it's description compared it to Night On Earth... one of my favorite movies.

And World's End sound like Mitchner, only dark comedy. Sounds interesting.

Yeah... I was aiming for a particular genre of lighthearted stuff. I've been reading a lot of more serious drama recently, and I'm getting tired of it. I just was looking for something fun.

Some fun stuff I've read before:

Any Douglas Adams

Straight Man - Richard Russo

Tomcat In Love - Tim O'Brien

No Fantasy?

Gotta give a BIG +1 here. One of the best high fantasy series I've ever read.

Also the Discworld novels by Terry Prachett are some good lighthearted books.

Edited by Selly

Anything particular by Gifford? The first thing I saw was "The Stars Above Veracruz" and it's description compared it to Night On Earth... one of my favorite movies.

And World's End sound like Mitchner, only dark comedy. Sounds interesting.

Gifford can be funny but I wouldnt call him light. You should have this on your shelf it is the Barry Gifford reader and you will go back to it again and again.

And TC Boyle is one of the best living American novelists. I suggested one of his earliest to cut yer teeth on and see if you like him.

If you just want light but humorous, try Tom McGuane's Nothing but Blue Skies. It is great, and if you like his style there are a dozen others going back thirty plus years.

And if you liked O Brien's Tomcat in Love, you need to try his Vietnam stuff, great: Going after Cacciato and The Things They Carried.

Edited by skins

Mars Crossing by Geoffrey Landis

About a group of astronauts that land on the moon, have some equipment issues, and then spend the book attempting to get to the site of a previous mission which may be able to get 2-3 of them home.

Very good book ... fiction, engaging characteres, science ... not "funny" if that's really what you need.

No Fantasy?

Song of Ice and Fire Series is very good. Just read Feast of Crows :D Very well written although Martin has a habit of killing off main characters :D

Wicked was ok, my wife liked it more than I did.

Gotta give a BIG +1 here. One of the best high fantasy series I've ever read.

Also the Discworld novels by Terry Prachett are some good lighthearted books.

I'm going to pick this book up after a customer lunch today...that looks like it is right up my alley! Oh...and some religious homework for skins so I can get more smarted. :D

If you like science fiction you need to knock out some classics first:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Armor - John Steakley

Starship Troopers - Robert Heilein (Read Armor first though, it actually kind of enhances Starship troopers.)

Stranger in a Strange Land - Bradbury

1. The Hot Zone (Medical/Science)

2. Cell - S. King, not one of his best but decent

3. Terrorist - J. Updike

4. In Cold Blood (an oldie but a goodie. Re-reading it now)

5. Anything by Elmore Leonard - Perfect summer reading, interesting and funny.

1. How to Ruin Your Life - Ben Stein (Stein-esque self help book - Funny)

2. The Day I Turned Uncool - Confessions of a Reluctant Grown Up - Dan Zevin (Great for anyone who is getting older even if they don't admit it)

3. Be True to Your School - Bob Greene (re-live growing up in the Midwest)

4. Cheeseburgers - Bob Green (best of collection of daily columns)

5. Ball Four - Jim Bouton (a must read for all sports/baseball fans)

6. Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud - Joe Pepitone with Berry Stainback (Joe Pepitone's story - great read, kinda Ball Four like)

When I'm in the mood for light and funny, I usually go to Carl Hiassen or David Sedaris.

If you haven't read Stinkfinger's short story collections from the New Yorker in the '60s, you may enjoy that. Without Feathers was my favorite, as I recall.

I still think the funniest sports novel ever written was Philip Roth's The Great American Novel. It falls apart at the end, but lots of non-PC humor, especially when the they play the baseball team from the state mental hospital. And Gil Gamesh is perhaps the greatest baseball pitcher character ever written. The opening line of The Great American Novel is "Call me Smitty." If that makes you smile, you'll love it. If it doesn't make you smile, well, the peg-legged catcher will.

some good stuff on this list-

Cliaz- Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett was a great read IMO- but very loong so probably not a great fit for "light reading".

I like pretty much all of Nelson DeMille's stuff- "Nightfall" was the last one I read and really enjoyed, mystery/cop/dectective type story line that revolves around the TWA flight 815 "crash".

I just finished up Greg Iles' "Turning Angel"- story about a small twon doctor-favorite son, ex-high school football hero, etc. who gets exposed for having an affair with a 17 year old high school senior after said senior turns up dead in the creek. Thisbook features some of the same main characters that were in a previous book (same small town too) called "The Quiet Game" where an old civil rights murder case is reopened/reinvestigated- I'd suggest reading them both Quiet Game first.

"Boy's Life" by Robert McCammon- In 1964, 12-year-old Cory Mackenson lives with his parents in Zephyr, Alabama. It is a sleepy, comfortable town. Cory is helping with his father's milk route one morning when a car plunges into the lake before their eyes. His father dives in after the car and finds a dead man handcuffed to the steering wheel. Their world no longer seems so innocent: a vicious killer hides among apparently friendly neighbors. Other, equally unsettling transmogrifications occur: a friend's father becomes a shambling bully under the influence of moonshine, decent men metamorphose into Klan bigots, "responsible" adults flee when faced with danger for the first time. With the aid of unexpected allies, Cory faces hair-raising dangers as he seeks to find the secret of the dead man in the lake. McCammon writes an exciting adventure story. He also gives us an affecting tale of a young man growing out of childhood in a troubled place and time.

-I LOVED THIS BOOK.

John Grisham's "A Painted House" fits the bill- it's a non- legal effort from him, but just as good/better than his typical offerings.

and lastly I mentioned in a previous "what books do you like" thread that anything by Joe R. Lansdale is excellent fiction. Lansdale is probably most known on an "underground" basis for his earlier Sci-Fi type short stories, etc. but his last few books are more main stream (nor Sci-Fi plotlines) and are excellent:

The Bottoms- Harry, an elderly man, tells the story of a series of events that occurred in his 11th year, when the mutilated, murdered bodies of Negro prostitutes began turning up in the county where his father was the local constable. Harry and Tom, his younger sister, find the first one. Only their father, Jacob Crane, seems to care about finding justice for the victims, who are dismissed out of hand as unimportant by the local branch of the Ku Klux Klan, which warns Jacob off any further investigations. Harry and Tom think they know who's responsible: the Goat Man, a creature who's said to lurk beneath the swinging bridge that crosses the Sabine River, where the first body was found. In fact, the Goat Man has something to do with the murders, and the secret of who he is and what he really did is the key to the unsolved slayings. But that takes second place to the artfully explicated character of Jacob and Harry's changing relationship with him in the course of the loss of his boyish innocence.

A Fine Dark Line-The atmosphere is as thick as an East Texas summer day in Edgar-winner Lansdale's (The Bottoms) engaging, multilayered regional mystery, which harks back to 1958. Thirteen-year-old Stanley Mitchel, Jr., has enough on his hands just growing up in Dewmont, Tex., when he literally stumbles on a buried cache of love letters. Stanley pursues the identity of the two lovers with help from the projectionist at his family's drive-in, an aged black man who quotes Sherlock Holmes and doesn't mince words about the world's injustices. As the truth of a gruesome 20-year-old double murder comes to light in the sleepy town, so do the facts of life, death, men, women and race for young Stanley. Unfortunately, this wealth of experience sometimes strains credulity. For instance, Stanley, his sister, Callie, and friend Richard witness a secret burial, see a local phantom, are chased by a murderer and barely miss being hit by a train-all in one night. As the older and wiser Stanley says of the past, "More had happened to my family in one summer than had happened in my entire life." The "down-home" dialect is occasionally overdone, too, with more ripe sayings than Ross Perot on caffeine. But Lansdale clearly knows and loves his subject and enlivens his haunting coming-of-age tale with touches of folklore and humor.

JOE R. LANSDALE ROCKS!

Edited by Marauders11