[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most Disappointing Teams Through 2 Weeks

spain

There are a number of 0-2 teams who are all off to poor starts. But a couple of teams had fairly high expectations coming into the season and have seen this thing get away from them in a hurry. Based on expectations, I think the Dophins and Redskins have to be seen as the biggest disappointments so far in this early part of the season. And the reason behind both of their poor starts begins and ends with their horrific quarterback play.

The Fins won their last 8 games last year and it appeared as if they had finally righted the ship under Nick Saban. They made some of the better known fa aquisitions in the off season including Daunte Culpepper and Joey Harrington. Their defense is still very good. And what do they do but come out and lay a HUGH egg in the first 2 weeks. OK, I can see losing to the Steelers in Pittsburgh. But no way do you let the Bills come into Miami and nearly shut you out. That was sad and sick and is cause for concern in Dolphin land. Culpepper has looked horrible so far. He will get a chance to redeem himself against argueably the worst secondary in the league in the Tennessee Titans. But I havent liked what I have seen of him and he will need to step up his play ALOT in order preserve what was seen in the preseason as a superbowl type year for Miami.

The Redskins are even more troubling. They have Gregg Williams as DC and then brought in Al Saunders as their new OC. This team seemed to have all the pieces in place. They brought in a couple nice fa's including Antwan Randel El to add speed and big play capabilities. And yes, they play in what was widely considered in the pre-season to be a very very tough division. But this team has 1 HUGH issue that will absolutely destroy this season: their QB play. Brunnell had a bounce back year last year after an abysmal first season in DC. But he looks to me like he has completely lost it this year. And Jason Campbell must really suck or we would have seen him in there at some point. With Portis being banged up with what could be a season long problem, a chill wind blows through our nations capital. If Brunnell cant play at least average, and the season starts to get away from them, Gibbs will be forced to look elsewhere for QB play. And with Campbell as the teams only answer at this point, Washington could be in a world of hurt this year.

I would have to add Carolina to this list of disappointments. I agree about the Redskins and Dolphins as well. The Skins are paying Saunders $2mil a year for the offense to look like pure and utter crapola. Sure Brunell is 75 years old, but they knew that going in.

I didn't expect the Browns to compete this year with a young QB. I hoped they would play well enough to inspire the fans a little, give a little hope for the future. In reality, they have very little resemblance to a professional level football team. Many of the top I-A college teams could beat them handily.

The Redskins are even more troubling. They have Gregg Williams as DC and then brought in Al Saunders as their new OC. This team seemed to have all the pieces in place. They brought in a couple nice fa's including Antwan Randel El to add speed and big play capabilities. And yes, they play in what was widely considered in the pre-season to be a very very tough division. But this team has 1 HUGH issue that will absolutely destroy this season: their QB play. Brunnell had a bounce back year last year after an abysmal first season in DC. But he looks to me like he has completely lost it this year. And Jason Campbell must really suck or we would have seen him in there at some point. With Portis being banged up with what could be a season long problem, a chill wind blows through our nations capital. If Brunnell cant play at least average, and the season starts to get away from them, Gibbs will be forced to look elsewhere for QB play. And with Campbell as the teams only answer at this point, Washington could be in a world of hurt this year.

Campbell and Collins are worse than brunell. They sucked big time in training camp/pre-season.

Where is ryan leaf when you need him?

Although football is a team sport, you can really see how not having one player makes a HUGH difference on a team...SSmith and Portis obviously come to mind. I think it is a bit premature to judge the Panthers and 'Skins as disappointing when they are each missing -- by far -- their most important and explosive offensive weapon.

Yes, they've not looked good in other areas, but wait and see when/if these guys come back.

Although football is a team sport, you can really see how not having one player makes a HUGH difference on a team...SSmith and Portis obviously come to mind. I think it is a bit premature to judge the Panthers and 'Skins as disappointing when they are each missing -- by far -- their most important and explosive offensive weapon.

Yes, they've not looked good in other areas, but wait and see when/if these guys come back.

+1

But I still rank the Redskins as a big disappointment so far. This Houston game means a lot ot them.

There's is no doubt that the Panthers, a team many feel (or should I say...felt?) are (were) a serious contender to represent the NFC in the Superbowl, would grab the honors as the most surprising 0 - 2 team.

Honorable mention to the NFC South's Defending Divisonal Champions, the 0 - 2 Bucs.

Carolina is hurting because of the loss of SSmith, but I would argue that one of the big reason that pundits claimed CAR would be playing in the Super Bowl this year is their depth of overall talent. If thier depth is as advertised, then cream should be rising to the top on both sides of the ball to perform as needed - to get W's (or at least be 1-1). To my knowledge, I can only think of the Dallas team in the mid-90's that started 0-2 but then went on to win the Super Bowl - and they were without Emmitt for those 2 L's. So I wouldn't count out Carolina by any means, but I'd say they are not as strong as originally thought...

Carolina is hurting because of the loss of SSmith, but I would argue that one of the big reason that pundits claimed CAR would be playing in the Super Bowl this year is their depth of overall talent. If thier depth is as advertised, then cream should be rising to the top on both sides of the ball to perform as needed - to get W's (or at least be 1-1). To my knowledge, I can only think of the Dallas team in the mid-90's that started 0-2 but then went on to win the Super Bowl - and they were without Emmitt for those 2 L's. So I wouldn't count out Carolina by any means, but I'd say they are not as strong as originally thought...

New England did it in 2001.

i'm not THAT surprised by the skins and phins getting off to slow starts. they both have some major offseason changes they're adapting to. neither team is close to being done yet, IMO. i AM surprised at the panthers have been so bad. i mean, you know smith being out is going to slow down their offense a little bit. but the way atlanta just completely kicked their ass in the trenches (on both sides) and ran the ball straight down their gullet...THAT has to rank as a huge surprise. and then losing at home to the vikes? :D

The skins completely suck. Portis wouldnt make much of a difference with Brunell not able to get the ball to their wideouts. The Skins should start their rebuild with Campbell now and take their lumps this season. Gibbs isnt going to get this team to the post season again in his tenure.

:D Sure kick me while i'm down...

I'm really disappointed in the Giants. Tough loss to Indy but not unexpected, sure...but they blew a lot of opportunities in that game. Against the Eagles they did everything they could to lose the game...Eli was sacked 8 times, they were penalized at least 100 yards, which killed their momentum at key moments, and most surprising to me, they gave McNabb all day to throw the ball. What happened to the best pair of DE's in the league from last year?? Everyone is saying what an emotional comeback win it was, but I say this team needs to get on track quickly or they will be lucky to crack .500. There certainly was a lot of luck in that win on Sunday.