[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got a major problem, really looking for some thoughts

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my only point. If it's possible, then it's not worth the risk.

It's ALWAYS possible with any dog, however remote that possibility, in the same way as it's always possible there will be an accident with boiling water, an accident with the car, an accident falling out of a tree. To follow your logic to it's inevitable conclusion, no-one with kids would ever have a dog, which would be kinda sad.

It's ALWAYS possible with any dog, however remote that possibility, in the same way as it's always possible there will be an accident with boiling water, an accident with the car, an accident falling out of a tree. To follow your logic to it's inevitable conclusion, no-one with kids would ever have a dog, which would be kinda sad.

yup

i'd probably let her blow me :D that's safe, right? :D

didn't you ever watch Boyz N the Hood?

You don't know what I be getting. Don't be nintendoing no dopeheads.

I let them suck my dick, but I don't nintendo them. They got AIDS and Sega!.

You can catch that Sega! from letting them suck on your dick too.

Thank you.

But I ain't sick. I ain't all skinny and Sega!.

What you mean, you ain't skinny?

Mothernintendoer's skinny enough to hula-hoop through a Cheerio.

You ain't got to be skinny or sick. You could die in five years from it.

Y'all trying to scare me. Can you really get it from letting them suck it?

Nick knows Piton (my dog), and I think he'd agree that Piton's a very friendly dog. It just seems that my very friendly dog has a minor brain malfunction that might make him a liability and or danger to my family. The question is, can we work through this by training ourselves, the dog, and the child, or do we have to get rid of the dog? That's the question I have to get an answer for.

He's a good dog. I wouldn't wish you having to give him away.

FWIW, if you can get him on prozac for dogs and that does the trick, then there you go. I hope that works for you.

All I'm saying, and I think you know this deep down because you are asking the question, is that I am not sure you can completely eliminate the risk in a dog that's predisposed to certain behavior. I know a little bit about dog training, and I know that in certain situations I have seen training go right out the window. I only trust training so far.

There's taking the literal route for you. We are talking about a dog that has an inclination to be grouchy and has displayed the behavior. My statement was referring back to my previous post regarding trying to train the behavior out of the dog. It was not a generic statement about dogs.

Again, I have seen very well trained dogs act out of character under certain circumstances.

FYI, I own a Weim and have little kids, too. My Weim will put out a low level growl if the kids are doing something she doesn't like (like fish-hooking her eye lids with their thumbs). At first, like you, the growling scared me. However, the kids have learned to respect the growl and back off when they hear it, as it lets the kids know they are being too invasive or rough.

Obviously, if you think your dog will pose an unacceptable bitting risk in response to innocent behavior by your kids, you need to consider getting rid of the dog. However, if the dog is merely trying to communicate to your kids that they are being too rough (or what not), then perhaps the better thing to do is work with your kids on being consistently gentle with the dog. And obedence training for any dog is a good idea.

My kids are 2-1/2 now, and I'm *just* starting to get comfortable with the kids being alone in the same room with the dogs for even a few moments. Before that, we used kid gates to keep the dogs and kids segregated at all times, unless we were also present. You may want to employ similar protective measures until your kids have a grasp on what is and isn't okay with your dog. Because it'd be shame to get rid of an otherwise great dog over behavior that your children will likely grow out of in the very near future.

Edited by yo mama

There's taking the literal route for you. We are talking about a dog that has an inclination to be grouchy and has displayed the behavior. My statement was referring back to my previous post regarding trying to train the behavior out of the dog. It was not a generic statement about dogs.

Again, I have seen very well trained dogs act out of character under certain circumstances.

Right, my point was that any dog can bite. Hugh's dog DIDN'T bite, so I think it's worthwhile making the training effort. Training the little lad at the same time would pay off too.

Right, my point was that any dog can bite. Hugh's dog DIDN'T bite, so I think it's worthwhile making the training effort. Training the little lad at the same time would pay off too.

But if Hugh's dog did bite, we wouldn't be having the discussion...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

But if Hugh's dog did bite, we wouldn't be having the discussion...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Agreed about that - if it had bitten, it would / should be history. Check out Yo's post above though. The dog is probably simply communicating the only way it knows how to.

I just don't see why this can't be addressed with supervision and training. As has been said, the dog did not bite the kid and could have if he wanted to. That isn't to say that aggression should be tolerated but that does seem to imply that the dog, while exhibiting signs of aggression when you get in it's face, isn't dangerous.

I understand what people are talking about when they refer to trained dogs snapping. I have some experience with that because I used to have a housemate that had Rotweiler that was being schutzen trained. Here they were training it to do all these things, including attack but only when told to, or so they said. I thought it a dangerous idea to do this unless these dogs were going to be used for police work, etc. At any rate, his dog finally bit his wife so off it went. Not a moment too soon as far as I was concerned because it always seemed like having a loaded gun hanging around.

This doesn't seem remotely the same. If they can limit the interaction to supervised time until the child is 100% aware of the dangers, I don't see the problem. The dog isn't even the one that needs to be trained here though it would be great if it could be taught to be more tolerant. It's been made clear that as long as you stay out of it's face, all is good. When the kid is old enough they can explain that and then not have to worry about it again and the two can hang out together without mom and dad around. That's assuming that he didn't get the message already (which I don't think is out of the question).

What is being lost by those who are so quick to get rid of the dog is that it is healthy to learn how to interact with dogs. When we take our dogs to the park, you can tell pretty quick which kids no the deal and which don't. The worst our dogs ever do is freak out and run away, but not every dog is like that. I don't think you want your child growing up like that.

I understand what people are talking about when they refer to trained dogs snapping. I have some experience with that because I used to have a housemate that had Rotweiler that was being schutzen trained. Here they were training it to do all these things, including attack but only when told to, or so they said. I thought it a dangerous idea to do this unless these dogs were going to be used for police work, etc. At any rate, his dog finally bit his wife so off it went. Not a moment too soon as far as I was concerned because it always seemed like having a loaded gun hanging around.

:D I am not even talking about that. I am talking about dogs that are trained strictly for obedience and to be docile with the family.

I am not even necessarily (although some of it is this) talking about dogs attacking. I am talking about dog training not being an absolute defense against a particular type of behavior.

Anyone who thinks training will absolutely control a dog's behavior is kookoo. Training will help a dog act in a particular fashion in many circumstances. Dogs also have significantly limited attention spans compared to humans, and can easliy and regularly have lapses in their trained behavior. Since dogs are not generally inclined to attack humans, this does not suggest that they are inherently dangerous. It just suggests that training will only increase the likelihood of desirable behavior.

I gotta answer this later when I get home but I gotta say im so surprised because those dogs were so calm and well behaved when we were there that day..Ill respond later in detail what I think

As I mentioned before, I have 2 dogs. I had the same problem as Hugh. When my son first started learning to crawl, he startled one of them and the dog snapped at him. Probably the same type of snap Hugh witnessed. My dog didn't snap and make a move toward my son: she just growled and barked. I then proceeded to grab my dog by the neck and smacked her on the ass about 10 times while shouting NO at her in a VERY loud voice.

My dog is nine. She hasn't done it since. My wife and I are extremely diligent about watching our son and his proximity to the dogs. Both of my dogs have learned to move away and jump on the bed if they want to get away from my son.

The point being, there are ways to handle the situation without just flat-out giving up on your dog. You simply cannot let your guard down AT ALL when it comes to your dog. Our dogs have learned to adapt to him, and I believe alot of it is due to my wife and I rewarding them when they have good behavior with our son, and we are hardasses if they even so much as look at him in the wrong way.

People talk about dogs maintaining the Alpha role: well in my house, I am the Alpha, and the dogs know that. And I have been consistent with this ever since they were small pups.

People talk about dogs maintaining the Alpha role: well in my house, I am the Alpha, and the dogs know that. And I have been consistent with this ever since they were small pups.

You are correct, because dogs are pack animals. However, with any new addition to the family/pack, the dog is going to be driven to determine where the new addition stands in the pack. However, it isn't your status as Alpha male that's being explored by the dog: it's the dogs relationship to the kid. And if you, as the Alpha Male, do not act to define your pack's new hierarchy, most dogs will seek to do so on their own, often by demonstrating gradually increasing dominant behavior over the pack's new addition. Most dogs can't help it; it's in their nature. Thus, it is imperative that dog owning parents hawk over the situation and act accordingly, with both dog and child. Being the Alpha Male means you actually have to assert yourself as such, or you run the risk of the dog acting out of turn.

Edited by yo mama