[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got a major problem, really looking for some thoughts

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As hugh know I don't currently have a dog. I have had dogs in the past, though, and may again in the future.

The only thing that complicates this is your feeling for this dog, and that's something that anyone else in this situation would have to deal with. Regardless of how you feel about your dog, though, I am sure you can imagine how you felt if something were to happen to your son, even just a nip, and you could have prevented it.

You can't control your son. He's a free thinking human, as much as any other. Add to that what's in the oven and the certainty that you will go through this again in another few years, and I think the risk is too high. This doesn't even address the psychological impact the dog threatening your son will have on his feelings towards dogs as he grows up. I was jumped in a friendly manner by a dane when I was 3, and it took me a long time to get past it. Dogs smell that fear, and their natural instinct is to take advantage of it to 'gain standing in the pack'.

You also can't control your dog. You can't ever be certain that with his tendency he won't get extra grumpy at something and take a nip, especially as he gets older and more crotchety.

I think Twiley's suggestion is the best. You will be making sure your pooch has a good home, and that's the most anyone can ask.

Is your wife aware of the situation, and if so what's her take on it?

Hey Hugh,

My wife and I have a Scottish Terrier and a 7 month old that has just started crawling. Wyatt, my boy has a habit of sucking his thumb while twirling my wife's hair. (Usually when he goes to sleep) My dog has a long beard and a long coat, traditional Scottie cut. My son crawls towards Rock, my dog, every evening. I can just picture us turning our back for a second and Wyatt having a hand full of Rock's hair and then picturing Rock snapping. My dog has snapped at my friends before for messing with his ears or if he is scared. It worries me too about the "What if". I can only imagine trying to keep up with a two year old. If your dog is generally calm, like my dog, certainly don't "put him down". My wife and I will put Rock in his kennel when its "playtime" or if children are over. I understand your dog is 20 times the size of mine but is there a place you could kennel him? If you can't seperate the two and co-exist then you need to find your dog a suitable home. I worry about the same thing bro. :D

Edited by SuperBalla

Probly true, but what I meant was that if a smaller dog like, say, a cocker spaniel or something did snap out, it probably wouldn't do the damage that a big dog would.

You'd be suprised. My dog has the same size teeth as a big dog, perhaps not the power, but they are quick and usually react with much more aggression. IMO.

Edited by SuperBalla

1. i don't see any need to put him down.

2. separate kids from dogs

3. train both

4. if you find the need to get him out of the house, there are many people who would love to have him- where he would have a good home

we have two high energy dogs. they get along well with Dani. our male is often within 5 feet of her... Dani is now reaching and grabbing. we make sure that he sits far enough away from her that she won't pull his fur. we have a command for "back" for them.

from seeing your dogs, i don't see them going out of their way to interact with mvp... none-the-less get some more gates (or playpen) to ensure no contact is made until the little one can understand how to approach dogs without being threatening.

OK, so I have a 7 year old Weimaraner male. Very good dog, just wants to please. However, he is obsessive with certain things. You can't play ball with him because he won't give the ball back. I mean, to the point of it being disturbing. He gets lock jaw and you would have to kill him to get it away from him. Also, you don't want to get in his face because he will growl at you. He'll come to you and no problem, but if he's sleeping or not in the mood, he will growl if you put your face in his face. Hey, they say you should let sleeping dogs lie, right? He's a good boy. Listens well, likes to play, very friendly with everyone, and except for those 2 issues, he's great. Love him almost like a son.

Anywho, I also have a 2 year old son. And sure enough, last night it happened. The short guy was putzing around, and the wife and I were on the couch. He usually pretty much ignores the dog, but all of a sudden he was in the dogs face, and sure enough, the dog growled and showed his teeth, kinda snapped, but didn't touch the short guy. I assessed the situation, and handled it the way I saw fit.

Now, here's my dilemma. Now what? Do I have to put him down? I love this f'ing dog, and I swear he's a good boy, but is he a liability now? How can I trust him around my kid, and we're having a baby in February. How can I trust him around other kids? I can't place him somewhere and make him someone else's liability. So the way I see it, I have 3 options: Put him down, try putting him on medication (I know nothing about this, so I'm not sure if it's even an option), or muzzle him in the house when he's around the kids.

What the hell?

I love this dog. But good Lord, what if he had bit my son, or one of my nieces or nephews?

I am absolutely beside myself, sick to my stomach, and don't know what to do. :D

I contemplate this everyday seeing as I've got the 3 year old and a pit bull. I aslo have a pug/boston terrier mix that about 15 years old, blind and cranky. To be honest the little dog is more dangerous as far as biting, snarling and showing teeth goes. He's never bit her but he will be the one if either do.

The pit bull is never alone with the baby. That's part because the dog's a pit bull, part because I wouldn't leave her alone with any 70 pound dog.

I'm no expert but I can't imagine how a muzzle isn't the answer or medication aren't the answers. Muzzle being the cheapest. My parents had a border collie that was terrified of loud noises. FIreworks and thunderstorms meant some pill they gave him and it worked. I'd put an effort into the muzzle and medication option before even putting the other option on the table.

Good luck.

the question is whether you will have the time/ability to supervise the dog constantly. if you can, then trying to make this situation work out is an option. i know with two little ones moving around, just keeping track of them is hard enough without constantly tracking the dog as well ... it only takes a second for a kid to wander into the room with the dog, fall on him, and get bit.

if you can't supervise 100% of the time (or don't want to), then i believe you are best served to find the dog a new home, one without kids.

Your Dog needs to be shown who is th Alfa in the family. He needs to understand he is on the bottom rung of the ladder. He has no respect for your child and that is a bad thing. Your child should be able to ride his back if he wanted . If he doesn't get fully trained to understand his place in the family. You stand the risk of your dog trying to teach your son while he looking at him like a puppy.

As hugh know I don't currently have a dog. I have had dogs in the past, though, and may again in the future.

The only thing that complicates this is your feeling for this dog, and that's something that anyone else in this situation would have to deal with. Regardless of how you feel about your dog, though, I am sure you can imagine how you felt if something were to happen to your son, even just a nip, and you could have prevented it.

You can't control your son. He's a free thinking human, as much as any other. Add to that what's in the oven and the certainty that you will go through this again in another few years, and I think the risk is too high. This doesn't even address the psychological impact the dog threatening your son will have on his feelings towards dogs as he grows up. I was jumped in a friendly manner by a dane when I was 3, and it took me a long time to get past it. Dogs smell that fear, and their natural instinct is to take advantage of it to 'gain standing in the pack'.

You also can't control your dog. You can't ever be certain that with his tendency he won't get extra grumpy at something and take a nip, especially as he gets older and more crotchety.

I think Twiley's suggestion is the best. You will be making sure your pooch has a good home, and that's the most anyone can ask.

Is your wife aware of the situation, and if so what's her take on it?

+1

I have 2 dogs and no kids. If I had a kid, there is NO way I get rid of the dogs. Theyve been with me through some hard times in my life, and helped me get through them.

If youre a dog owner, you know what I mean. If not, dont comment on this because you have no idea how much an animal can mean to you.

That said, I agree with what lots said. Dont get rid of the dog, and dont put him down. Take that as a lesson and keep the toddler away from the dog until he is grown a bit.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing...

With young children, the onus is on the dog to comprehend the nature of the relationship, not the child, and it sounds as though your dog doesn't get it.

This has been my experience, having always been around dogs. My dad always kept the hunting dogs in the pen, and they were never allowed in the house, in part because they didn't "get it" with kids. The dogs that did get it would put up with all kinds of crap from a smalll child but would never, ever bare teeth at it.

I have a lab mutt now, and I am amazed at how he "shepards" small children whenever they come over -- he keeps them away from the big screen or the stairs, for instance, just by moving his body. If they do something to piss him off, he basically comes to me so I can ward the kid off. He's not that docile, either -- he doesn't put up with the same kind of crap from adults.

Good luck.

Dog are meant to be kept outdoors, what is with people and having dogs inside?

So he only snapped at the kid who lives there 24/7 with you? When its the baby or a neighborkid he'll likely use those 'lock jaws' and chew thier face off.

The fact you are even considering anything but swift death for this mutt tells us a lot about you. You should be ashamed, and I recommend you turn yourself over to child protective services in your area... you obviously can't be trusted.

Remember, everytime a dog mauls a child, the very first thing the dog owners say is how the mutt had never done anything like this before.

Off the top of my head, my thoughts:

1. Keep the dog at all times in a different room then your kids. I'm guessing you have child gates up. Just make sure they work on the dog too and separate them. If this is not possible, see #2 and #3 below.

2. While I doubt much can be done for a 7 year old dog, contact an obedience school to see if there is anything you can do.

3. If something, anything happens again after precautions have been made, time to get rid of the dog. Find a good home with a friend or through a shelter.

You shouldn't have to put your dog to sleep, but your kids need to be the priority.

Edited by TDFFFreak

My parents had a border collie that was terrified of loud noises.

Hey dik, where you been?

Mine border collie is the same way, she even sees a gun and she's cowering under the truck. Same with foreworks and thunder. Other than that, she is fearless, but she won't let my lil'bassturd anywhere near the cat, the dog and cat do not understand each other.

My collie also won't let my lil'bassturd anywhere near the river, she makes sure she stands between them at all times.