[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homosexuality: Nature or Choice?

spain

Pretty simple IMO.

Anybody here choose to be heterosexual? Ever remember sitting down one day and saying, I guess I'll be heterosexual?

If that's the case, then how can one logically say someone chose to be homosexual. It just is.

There are other things that influence life besides genetics. Just because you don't consciously make a decision, doesn't mean that it's genetically based. Most people don't choose to be depressed, but a combination of genetics, environment, and experience create the disorder. I realize that homosexuality is not a disorder, and not comparable to DSM disorders. It's the closest I can come to describing how things don't boil down to a decision.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever noticed or heard how married couples start to look abit alike as they grow older?

I'm thinking that this is mostly because old people all basically look the same (you know, all wrinkly and saggy and stuff). (No offense to Sky, RR, and Aqualung.)

A very close friend of mine dropped the bomb on me about three years ago. I was absolutely shocked. He dated women until he was about 30 and then gave up. He was dating a very attractive woman, who was successful, and thought the world of him and broke up with her. When he told me he was gay, he said she was the ending point. He wanted so badly to enjoy sex with her and he couldn't. He basically said that he didn't get into anymore relationships after that because he didn't want to hurt anyone else. He had had a homosexual experience in college and basically lived as a straight man until he dated this woman. He started to chat online with other gay men and found out that he was exactly like everyone else that was gay and trying to deny it. He played sports, loves to drink, watch football, etc. He is not into the feminine aspect of being gay, and is turned off by feminine men and actually says they make gay men look bad. In his case I would say it is nature. He tried very hard to be straight and it just was not enjoyable. I cannot blame anyone when they explain it like that. I agree with many on this board, when they say why would anyone want to choose to be discriminated against. He is a very smart man and he remains in the closet because of his job. He is a vice president of marketing and investment management for a very knew company with a very conservative board made up of people over 60 who really wouldn't understand.

BTW: Myself and others never knew. He kept it hidden from me for four years, and others in our group all his life. People that he grew up with are in our group of friends and had no idea and some still don't know.

My exprience and opinion. For what it is worth.

I'm no Bible expert but I believe it's Leviticus for one that lays out numerous behaviors that are "sinful" and not acceptable, many of which are acceptable in today's society.

Which behavior is now acceptable in today's society.

I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Remember thou keep the Sabbath Day.

Honor thy Father and thy Mother

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods.

I think some people are wired to be that way.

I've worked with a lot of gay people and of the ones I've talked with about it, all of them tried to go the heterosexual route before acknowledging they were homosexual.

So I guess they made a decision but I don't think they really had a choice unless they wanted to be miserable in their life.

Have you ever noticed or heard how married couples start to look abit alike as they grow older? The theory is that most people marry or become attracted to people who look like their own relatives aka mom, dad uncle aunt etc. These are the people they grew up with. So if your mother is fat you probably don't think it's as unattractive as say someone with a slender mom. Blondes may be more attractive to blondes and brunettes to brunettes, big bone ladies vs petite etc. :D

Are you really a moran or do you just play one on the internet?

Which behavior is now acceptable in today's society.

I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Remember thou keep the Sabbath Day.

Honor thy Father and thy Mother

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods.

do you have any idea how syphilis spreed threw out Europe .

One thing that is sort of interesting is that most heterosexual men in America would say that they aren't sexually attracted to really fat women, but in some cultures, heterosexual men are attracted to heavy women. I doubt that these attractions are genetic, but are almost certainly learned. (Even though if you asked a man in either society when they became attracted to non-fat/fat women, they would just say "I've always been that way.")

Just throwing that out there.

not exactly the same thing. i'd MUCH sooner do a fat chick than a dude, you dig?

The most difficult thing in this discussion is that sexuality is a genetic component of our existance, but it is also a behavioral component of our existance.

There is overwhelming evidence, even in just obvious casual observation of different species, that there are behaviors that are genetically programmed. There is also overwhelming evidence that behaviors can be learned or trained, or even in some cases developed by trauma.

I would imagine that anyone that is homosexual could have arrived at that state of being through a natural genetic disposition, but I would also imagine that it is possible for someone to arrive at that state of being through some kind of behavioral development.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think the answer is as clear cut as 'nature or nurture'. I imagine that both have a part to play, and that includes in the immediate lives of people today and the lives of the billions of people that have lived before us.

+1

The most difficult thing in this discussion is that sexuality is a genetic component of our existance, but it is also a behavioral component of our existance.

There is overwhelming evidence, even in just obvious casual observation of different species, that there are behaviors that are genetically programmed. There is also overwhelming evidence that behaviors can be learned or trained, or even in some cases developed by trauma.

I would imagine that anyone that is homosexual could have arrived at that state of being through a natural genetic disposition, but I would also imagine that it is possible for someone to arrive at that state of being through some kind of behavioral development.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think the answer is as clear cut as 'nature or nurture'. I imagine that both have a part to play, and that includes in the immediate lives of people today and the lives of the billions of people that have lived before us.

well, i mostly agree with that, but homosexuality isn't just "behavior". it is also a matter of inclination -- who you are physically attracted to. i agree that the behavioral part is a complex mixture of a lot of different factors. but i think the evidence indicates the inclination part is pretty much hard-wired.

Many homosexuals were abused as children, this has to have some merit.

Many of the gays I know were in fact abused, either sexually or mentally.

However, I do truely wish it was genetic, so we could study it, find a cure, and rid ourselves of this disgusting flaw.

Here's my highly unpopular opinion...

I don't think it's genetic.

I also don't think it's a choice.

Technically, I would classify it as a sexual fetish. Like people who like big asses, or get turned on by peeing or latex or hairy chicks. Something happened in their sexual development to make them get turned on by people of the same sex.

I think that gay people might be offended by the notion that I reduce it to a fetish instead of making it part of a big political movement or an unavoidable genetic condition, but I believes what I believes. :D