[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today was a bad day

max

Today was the first time that my son has been really sick. Granted he has had some things here and there over the last 14 months but nothing like today. All he has had before was minor colds, low grade fevers, etc.

Today he couldn't keep anything down and what he did keep down almost immediately came out the other end. First child, first time really dealing with him being this sick sucks even though we are lucky that he hasn't had anything like this before. The thing that sucks the most is we want to help him and be there for him but there isn't much that can be done.

Sorry for the little vent.

:D Here is to tomorrow being a better day!!

Edited by max

Hope he gets better fast. And make sure you don't have any 2111 peanut butter floating around somewhere.

Thanks everyone.

He has never eaten any peanut butter so we are good there, thank goodness.

Sorry to hear about the kiddie Max. I was just curious did you introduce a new food to him or put him on a different formula without running some pedialyte through him first or does he just have some type of stomach virus? :D

Edited by irish

Max,

I only had one, and everything that she had drove me nuts. I was there when she had the projectile vomiting, poopies till I ran out of diapers, and those 103 degree temps! :D

Hang in there! Vent all you want! But, keep a close watch! Dehydration CAN kick in quickly!

The best My Friend! :D

Sorry to hear about the kiddie Max. I was just curious did you introduce a new food to him or put him on a different formula without running some pedialyte through him first or does he just have some type of stomach virus? :D

No different foods or anything like that. At this point it looks like some sort of stomach virus. The Doc said the same thing he has is affecting a ton of their patients right now.

We are also doing everything we canto make sure he stays hydrated. He didn't want to drink a ton today so we got one of those oral baby syringes and keep loading it with pedialyte and getting him to take it that way. We were giving him a few of those every 5-10 minutes throughout the day.

Edited by max

Max,

I only had one, and everything that she had drove me nuts. I was there when she had the projectile vomiting, poopies till I ran out of diapers, and those 103 degree temps! :D

Hang in there! Vent all you want! But, keep a close watch! Dehydration CAN kick in quickly!

The best My Friend! :D

As I stated before this is again where pedialyte would be very useful!! You should always have pedialyte, mylicon and orajel around as they are just some of the most helpful and relieving items for you and the babe. :tup:

As I stated before this is again where pedialyte would be very useful!! You should always have pedialyte, mylicon and orajel around as they are just some of the most helpful and relieving items for you and the babe. :D

We do have all 3 of those. This is just the first time we had to actually use the pedialyte.

Good thing I am off tomorrow so if it is a long night I can let the wife get some rest and I can watch over the little guy.

Edited by max

Hope he gets better fast. And make sure you don't have any 2111 peanut butter floating around somewhere.

Children that young should not have peanuts of any sort or other nuts for that matter as the allergic reactions can be severe and is very dangerous for a little one. Their airways are very small and it doesn't take much swelling to cause breathing difficulties.

Max you will experience this more than once, all you can do is try your best to comfort them......It is a very helpless feeling.

I hope everything gets better quickly.

We do have all 3 of those. This is just the first time we had to actually use the pedialyte.

Good thing I am off tomorrow so if it is a long night I can let the wife get some rest and I can watch over the little guy.

Hope he gets better soon. I don't have any kids, but I understand the feelings of helplessness in these situations.

Today was the first time that my son has been really sick. Granted he has had some things here and there over the last 14 months but nothing like today. All he has had before was minor colds, low grade fevers, etc.

Today he couldn't keep anything down and what he did keep down almost immediately came out the other end. First child, first time really dealing with him being this sick sucks even though we are lucky that he hasn't had anything like this before. The thing that sucks the most is we want to help him and be there for him but there isn't much that can be done.

Sorry for the little vent.

:D Here is to tomorrow being a better day!!

I am not looking forward to when that happens....... Here's to a quick recovery for the little guy. :D

My son is just now getting over this, and he had what's called rotorvirus(sp?). You MUST give him Pedialyte every five minutes. You MUST make him drink. Hydration is the key here. No milk yet. Give him bland foods if he wants it. Toast, crackers, etc.

Fluids are the absolute must right now. He may go a couple of days of being lethargic, but keep him quiet and hydrated. Better to give him fluids than food right now.

Lots of cases of this in KC right now, and I know people whose children had to spend a couple days in the hospital because the kids wouldn't drink their fluids.

BTW, my son is 17 months, so about the same age. He will feel better soon. :D

Edit to add: it took about a week for our son to start feeling better. The doctor here said it would run it's course in about 1-2 weeks.

Edited by Chief Dick

My son is just now getting over this, and he had what's called rotorvirus(sp?). You MUST give him Pedialyte every five minutes. You MUST make him drink. Hydration is the key here. No milk yet. Give him bland foods if he wants it. Toast, crackers, etc.

Fluids are the absolute must right now. He may go a couple of days of being lethargic, but keep him quiet and hydrated. Better to give him fluids than food right now.

Lots of cases of this in KC right now, and I know people whose children had to spend a couple days in the hospital because the kids wouldn't drink their fluids.

Edit to add: it took about a week for our son to start feeling better. The doctor here said it would run it's course in about 1-2 weeks.

Yup, my 3 year old has this right now :D

Thanks for the info and reassurance CD. I really appreciate it.

This is the same exact thing. We are doing the Pedialyte thing like you said (except for when he actually falls asleep).

We found that 2 of the times he threw up was after a little bit of milk early on so we are only doing the Pedialyte and some bland foods. How long before you could start giving him milk again?

Thanks for the info and reassurance CD. I really appreciate it.

This is the same exact thing. We are doing the Pedialyte thing like you said (except for when he actually falls asleep).

We found that 2 of the times he threw up was after a little bit of milk early on so we are only doing the Pedialyte and some bland foods. How long before you could start giving him milk again?

Great advice about keeping him hydrated. Don't rush the milk. Wait till he has kept food down for 12-18 hours. I've been through this numerous times, and the key is hydration. Pedialyte and gatorade work well. Also, when he starts to hold down fluids, get him on the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast). Bland foods that will help with the diarhea. Also, popsicles work well - but natural flavored, not high sugar content ones.

Regarding possible dehydaration, if he complains that his eyes are sore / dry, then it is time to call the pediatrician about other avenues.

Hang in there!

Thanks again everyone!

He was sleeping and got sick in his crib again a few hours ago. He sleeps a little while and wakes up (as expected). Still making sure we keep him hydrated.

Always tough... just remember its obviously toughest on him. Be as loving and tender as you can. When kids are sick, all they really want is for a parent to comfort them through it.

My oldest had rotovirus when he was 13 months old. Nastiest, foulest smelling diapers that went on for weeks. :D

Yes, keep the pedialyte coming, but in tiny, tiny increments. Try freezing it into pops. They used to make them, but I'm not sure they do any more.

The Pedialyte can be a tough sell, because it tastes like nothing, pretty much.

EDIT: You must, must, must take care of the little pooper's bottom. Slather on the Balmex or whatever you use for a diaper cream. When Nick was sick we ended up needing a prescription cream for his poor little bottom.

Edited by Czarina