[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

favorite sporting event attended?

dmarc117

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah there's that... But being a Caps fan, I have no room to comment on such things. lol

At least you still have the lifeblood of your team left. I may have to cheer for the New York Oilers Islanders after what happened at the trade deadline.

It's to hard to pick just one:

- Final Orioles game at Memorial Stadium - Sept 1991

- 2002 Final Four in Atlanta - Terps win!

- Super Bowl XXXVI - New Orleans

- Oriole game where Ripken tied the record

- Cal's final game

- Bears v. Packers at Lambaeu the Sunday after Peyton passed

- Terps v UNC Bball at Cole in 1995

- 2000 World Series game 2 - Rocket throws bat at Piazza

- HOF inductions for Murray, Palmer and Brooks

- Sept 14, 2003 - Ravens v. Browns - Jamal gets 295

- Dec 24, 2000 - Ravens v. Jets - final home reg season game of the Championship team.

Nothing tops watching your kids excel.

Then you'll agree, it's more fun watching your kid knock one out of the park than doing it yourself. Never understood some of my friends who take trips while their kids are still playing ball. Given the choice I'll take a weekend down the road in Redneck, LA watching my kid play competitive basketball than a snow skiing trip.

Wildest event I ever attended would have to be the Iron Bowl in 1994 - Legion Field, Birmingham, AL. Alabama and Auburn were both in the top 10 that season. Bama lead for much of the game, but Auburn had a chance to score the go ahead TD late in the 4th quarter. A 4th down completion by Auburn was stopped right at the 1st down marker in Bama territory. You could have heard a pin drop as 80,000+ fans breathlessly watched the officials stretch the chains to determine if it was 1st down Auburn, or Bama ball with less than a minute left in the game. As the official finally stepped back, the tip of the ball was less than an inch from the 1st down chain…. ball to Bama on downs!! Bedlam ensued as Auburn fans thought they were jobbed of a potential game winning drive, and Bama fans rejoiced. The insanity continued in the parking lot after the game, the highways and roads home, and for weeks in the media afterward.

My favorite moment was in high school though. During my senior year, our hockey team (Bishop Hendricken) was ranked # 2 in the state, # 4 in the country. The team ranked #1 both in the state and country (Mount St. Charles Academy) had not lost in several years. We played them the day after Christmas. Talk about bedlam. I have never seen a high school event that crazy… our student section screamed obscenities at the poor Mount goalie during the entire game and it was clearly getting to him. After a back and forth game, my school prevailed beating the Mount and eventually taking the state championship.

At least you still have the lifeblood of your team left. I may have to cheer for the New York Oilers Islanders after what happened at the trade deadline.

We do, but how much longer until his nice sweet do anything for the team attitude degenerates into "screw this place, it sucks"? heh I just hope management does something GOOD this off-season for once and gets him a REAL supporting cast. Last off-season was a friggin joke.

I don't think there's a hockey fan in North America that wasn't shocked as hell when they traded Smyth at the deadline. And over a few hundred grand? Very very lame.

It's to hard to pick just one:

- Final Orioles game at Memorial Stadium - Sept 1991

- 2002 Final Four in Atlanta - Terps win!

- Super Bowl XXXVI - New Orleans

- Oriole game where Ripken tied the record

- Cal's final game

- Bears v. Packers at Lambaeu the Sunday after Peyton passed

- Terps v UNC Bball at Cole in 1995

- 2000 World Series game 2 - Rocket throws bat at Piazza

- HOF inductions for Murray, Palmer and Brooks

- Sept 14, 2003 - Ravens v. Browns - Jamal gets 295

- Dec 24, 2000 - Ravens v. Jets - final home reg season game of the Championship team.

I like your style! :D

We're thinking of going to see Cal's induction into the HOF.

Going to game 6 of the Giants-Angels World Series, and, when the Giants looked like they were going to win the Series in Anaheim, plotting my escape from the unruly crowd that surely would lynch me as I was proudly wearing the Orange and Black.... :D of course, they blew the game and then the series, but it still was a blast.

:D

Put me on the completely polar opposite of that. Being a Halo supporter (I say supporter as I am Cub FAN and just casually rooted for my hometown Angels), I was pumped to see them play the hated Giants in the series (can't stand Bonds and the Giants w(h)ine and cheese fans). I was living up in the Bay Area at the time and went to meet a friend (with another friend in tow, who happened to be rooting for the Halos as part of a bet with another buddy) smack dab in the middle of San Francisco at a wall-to-wall packed sports bar. Man, I never heard a place go from SO LOUD to pin drop quiet in the matter of an hour or so. Believe me, I got plenty of nasty glances from the hometown fans as I cheered the Angels on. Of course these pansy-azz fans were more concerned about their wine and getting home in time to watch ER to give me any chit. :tup:

Edited by darin3

I like your style! :D

We're thinking of going to see Cal's induction into the HOF.

If you are serious about going, you should try to reserve accomidations ASAP. As you can see, I've been a few times and it's normally impossible to stay in Cooperstown during an induction weekend. With Rip and Gwynn, locals are indicating that this will be the most attended weekend ever and places to stay are already scarce. Good luck in going. It's an awesome experience.

We do, but how much longer until his nice sweet do anything for the team attitude degenerates into "screw this place, it sucks"? heh I just hope management does something GOOD this off-season for once and gets him a REAL supporting cast. Last off-season was a friggin joke.

I don't think there's a hockey fan in North America that wasn't shocked as hell when they traded Smyth at the deadline. And over a few hundred grand? Very very lame.

Everyone in Edmonton is convinced that Smyth will resign in the offseason too. Delusionals....

Edited by Tford

1991 Pirates vs Dodgers. I got to go to the stadium early during bp and sit in the dugout and meet all of the players. I also got to walk through the clubhouse and see their lockers and training rooms. I then watched the game from a luxory box. It was an awesome day. The Pirates were good back then too o that helped.

#2 & 3 would be the two times I saw the sweet 16 & elite 8. This year will be #3.

If you are serious about going, you should try to reserve accomidations ASAP. As you can see, I've been a few times and it's normally impossible to stay in Cooperstown during an induction weekend. With Rip and Gwynn, locals are indicating that this will be the most attended weekend ever and places to stay are already scarce. Good luck in going. It's an awesome experience.

My husband has this crazy idea about renting an RV for the trip, but I'm sure by now even the campgrounds are all booked up. Time to start looking!

I haven't been to any real special sporting events yet (just regular season hockey and football games) but I will be at the Final Four in Atlanta this year and then to the Masters so those will be on top of my list. Up until now it would have to be the last regular season game at home for my Winnipeg Jets.

My husband has this crazy idea about renting an RV for the trip, but I'm sure by now even the campgrounds are all booked up. Time to start looking!

That's a good call and there are tons of camp grounds in the general area. I used to camp back around the time of Brooks and Franks induction. Even did it for Palmer's, but I'm past that phase now.

By the way Vicky - nice AV :D