[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a new car

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hugh,

I will pray tonight that you get a great deal.

I think it's going to take more than that. :D

By the time I'm done, there won't be a dealer within 50 miles of here that I'll ever be able to do business with again. :D

I like buying new. Screwing with sales people is something of a hobby of mine. Of course, I've generally done 2 months of intense research going into the process. Its like girding for war, nerd-style.

Agreed. My grandfather owned 13 car dealerships so I got to grow up spending my summers working at them...you definitely learn all the tricks and now I do enjoy messing with sales guys. Go in well researched with the ability to walk out. Play dealers against each other. There's so much kickback per car that they're never going to lose money on a deal.

Anybody got that thread from a year or so ago that had the undercover guy working at a couple of dealerships, exposing all the dirty secrets? That thing was really long, but well worth the read. Maybe there's a link to it?

Anybody got that thread from a year or so ago that had the undercover guy working at a couple of dealerships, exposing all the dirty secrets? That thing was really long, but well worth the read. Maybe there's a link to it?

I'm guessing a "search" would find it...

Dunno about the thread, but here's a link to an article on www.edmunds.com that is similar in nature.

As an employee in the Automobile Industry, might I suggest that you pay whatever they tell you to pay and not make such a ruckus about it. I'm sure that they will look out for your best interests. :D

Edited by Trots

I'm looking at the 2007 Expedition Limited. These guys are trying to tell me it's a hot car so they can't discount much. Come on, with gas $3.25/gallon, how the hell can that monster of a vehicle be hot? And the way they run the numbers and work in rebates and incentives, it just confuses you. And in the end, rest assured, you're not getting a good deal. :D

hugh...Try and find something on the lot that is a few years old that they will still give you bumper to bumper on..We just bought a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer that had 17K on it. With the extended warranty and taxes etc we paid about 20K..It is an 8 cylinder so I told the guy no one is buying those these days with gas prices what they are..he said that the difference between a 8 cylinder and a 6 cylinder is 1 mile per gallon. (which i dont believe) but my family uses that car for all local so I wasnt crazy concerned about the gas factor

Edited by whomper

I think I'll be printing out Hat Trick's post.

Now.... who wants to be my car buying buddy?

Can you imagine two guys showing up at a dealership together wearing matching Todd Pinkston spamshirts and Minnie Mouse ears?

As an employee in the Automobile Industry, might I suggest that you pay whatever they tell you to pay and not make such a ruckus about it. I'm sure that they will look out for your best interests. :tup:

Let me guess... you are a real-estate agent on the side too, right?

:D

:D

hugh...Try and find something on the lot that is a few years old that they will still give you bumper to bumper on..We just bought a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer that had 17K on it. With the extended warranty and taxes etc we paid about 20K..It is an 8 cylinder so I told the guy no one is buying those these days with gas prices what they are..he said that the difference between a 8 cylinder and a 6 cylinder is 1 mile per gallon. (which i dont believe) but my family uses that car for all local so I wasnt crazy concerned about the gas factor

That's solid advice, if you're paying cash. If you're going to finance, then you've got to factor in the potential change in interest rate for financing a used car, relative to new.

I'm looking at the 2007 Expedition Limited. These guys are trying to tell me it's a hot car so they can't discount much. Come on, with gas $3.25/gallon, how the hell can that monster of a vehicle be hot? And the way they run the numbers and work in rebates and incentives, it just confuses you. And in the end, rest assured, you're not getting a good deal. :D

Go here, enter your ZIP code, and options you want. It will tell you a fair estimate of what people in your area are actually paying for that vehicle. At a minimum, it should give you a thumb nail sketch of whether the sales person is being honest about how hot the car is selling, relative to the stated MSRP/invoice.

I've posted this before and it has really worked for me.

1. Edmunds.com will put you in touch with a local internet sales person who will give you a firm price based the invoice price, not MSRP. You will also find the invoice price of the vehicle you want via Edmunds.

2. The internet sales manager will call you or email you a quote. I usually never even meet the sales manager until I pick up the car. The other nice thing about sales managers is they are experienced and usually know about customer service and all have been professional and took care of my after the I had purchased the said vehicle. There is never the waste of time of walking out of a car dealership and having to come back when they cave, and playing the leverage game with sales people.

3. Then I take that quote and call all the dealerships within about 50 miles asking for their sales manager and ask if they will beat the price. I do take into consideration the professionalism of the dealership and won't drive 100 miles rtrip for a net savings of $50-100 if I feel I will be taken better closer to home + if I have any immediate issues I'm not driving 100 miles to get them taken care of.

Go here, enter your ZIP code, and options you want. It will tell you a fair estimate of what people in your area are actually paying for that vehicle. At a minimum, it should give you a thumb nail sketch of whether the sales person is being honest about how hot the car is selling, relative to the stated MSRP/invoice.

That's a great link, I came in about 4K less than "What Others are paying". It also goes to show that they were really trying to screw me on the original price of the vehicle..well not screwing but trying to stick it to me on the actual sticker price.

3. Then I take that quote and call all the dealerships within about 50 miles asking for their sales manager and ask if they will beat the price. I do take into consideration the professionalism of the dealership and won't drive 100 miles rtrip for a net savings of $50-100 if I feel I will be taken better closer to home + if I have any immediate issues I'm not driving 100 miles to get them taken care of.

You're trying to negotiate $50-$100? Man, I must have been a hugh dick. I was trying to knock off quite a few thousand. :D

1. Edmunds.com will put you in touch with a local internet sales person who will give you a firm price based the invoice price, not MSRP. You will also find the invoice price of the vehicle you want via Edmunds.

2. The internet sales manager will call you or email you a quote. I usually never even meet the sales manager until I pick up the car. The other nice thing about sales managers is they are experienced and usually know about customer service and all have been professional and took care of my after the I had purchased the said vehicle. There is never the waste of time of walking out of a car dealership and having to come back when they cave, and playing the leverage game with sales people.

I have used Edmunds before myself. The numbers work. I have just walked into a dealership with a folder and the quote in it, and the sales person didn't even try to apply the screw job. They offered me $300 over invoice, and I just took it rather than argue.

hugh, to add to this......make them show you the invoice, that's what I do, if they wont, walk out. Then offer them $100 over invoice and dont budge, they are still making out like bandits whether they tell you they wont be able to feed their children or not, they're full of it. My father in law used to sell cars by the way.

hugh, to add to this......make them show you the invoice, that's what I do, if they wont, walk out. Then offer them $100 over invoice and dont budge, they are still making out like bandits whether they tell you they wont be able to feed their children or not, they're full of it. My father in law used to sell cars by the way.

The dealer will typically make "holdback" of $700-$1000 on an in-stock unit but the salesman usually only gets paid on a percent of the "profit" over invoice. So if you pay $100 over invoice, the salesman may make $25-$35 and the dealer will make an additional $700-$1000. But he also has to pay for advertising, utilities, salaries, etc. Dealers aren't getting rich by selling a car for $100 over invoice. FYI.

The dealer will typically make "holdback" of $700-$1000 on an in-stock unit but the salesman usually only gets paid on a percent of the "profit" over invoice. So if you pay $100 over invoice, the salesman may make $25-$35 and the dealer will make an additional $700-$1000. But he also has to pay for advertising, utilities, salaries, etc. Dealers aren't getting rich by selling a car for $100 over invoice. FYI.

By the same token, if you come in knowing what you'll pay for a specific vehicle, they aren't spending a ton of time on you either - "do we have a deal or not?", then they either get the sale or don't. Either way, minimal time wasted for all.

By the same token, if you come in knowing what you'll pay for a specific vehicle, they aren't spending a ton of time on you either - "do we have a deal or not?", then they either get the sale or don't. Either way, minimal time wasted for all.

And for some sales people, just putting another notch in their belt makes it worth the effort.

I wonder what the price difference would be if you bought one in Louisiana. I am sure there is no sales tax being that you are from another state.

Edited by SuperBalla