[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

lmao @ "Dr Z"

BeeR

So I got it right, everyone in the whole world shoudl be picking NE to win (I am btw, and cover), and if they don't they have no right to be a sportscaster/sportswriter/is an idiot or just trying to sell papers?

just not sure why we would rail on Dr. Z (who btw was red-f'n-hot earlier in the year in picking straightup winners, and anyone that thinks that's easy has never done a survival pool) because he happens to think NY will win

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the Pats are favored in this game for a reason, they have had an incredible ride and for the most part they have played really good defense along the way but...Pats fans everywhere had better hope that their team is not as over-confident about their impending date with history as some of the Pats fans on this board.

As good as their defensive stats for the regular season were overall, let's look at things a little closer. Let's look at 6 of their last 8 games. The 2 we will throw out are the week 15 & 16 games against the Jets & Dolphins. We will throw those games out because, well because those teams suck and just about anyone would have looked good playing them.

But the other 6 opponents they faced in that 9 week span were San Diego, Jax, The Giants, Pittsburgh, Baltimore & Philly. And 2 of those teams, Philly & Baltimore, while formidable teams every year, were actually having bad seasons.

But never-the-less, despite allowing an average of only 288 yards and 17 points a game for the entire regular season, in the games against these 6 opponents, all of which have been played within the last 9 weeks, the Pats have given up an average of 348 yards and more than 21 points per game.

An important thing to mention, at this point, is that they did WIN all of those games. I am not trying to take anything away from their season, I am just pointing out that their opponents in those games had opportunity. They moved the ball and but for a play here or a play there the Pats could have easily dropped 1 or more of those games along the way.

Now, not to sound like Yogi Berra, but the only thing it takes to ruin an undefeated season is 1 defeat, even if that defeat comes in the last game possible. And the Giants have already proven that they can play with the Pats. And if the Patriots players share in the blind over-confidence of some of their fans then it very well could be the Giants that win it all in the Super Bowl.

That's nice and all, but why not include the last six games the Patriots played when the weather was 70 degrees?

i didnt say you should fire a guy based on one game im saying...these guys get a free ride...i highly doubt their bosses are going back over their body of work for a year and looking at how accurate they are....these guys have access to players and sources...its pretty easy to keep bosses happy by name dropping and talking about how this source told u this and that.....but what insight can u bring? if you watch skip bayless on whatever that espn show is hes on there during the aftneroon....hes horrible...and more than half the predictions he makes come out to be dead wrong....just because the guy goes against the grain and can infuriate people...does that make him a good sportswriter? theres too much devils advocate going on in sports talk radio and journalism

These guys are getting paid to entertain not to make correct picks. If they were so good at picking winners they wouldnt even have to work.

So I got it right, everyone in the whole world shoudl be picking NE to win (I am btw, and cover), and if they don't they have no right to be a sportscaster/sportswriter/is an idiot or just trying to sell papers?

just not sure why we would rail on Dr. Z (who btw was red-f'n-hot earlier in the year in picking straightup winners, and anyone that thinks that's easy has never done a survival pool) because he happens to think NY will win

lolol@being impressed by a guy picking straight up winners in the nfl....

That's just it, though. They didn't drop one or more of those games.

Again, I am not trying to say the Giants have no chance. I think they have a good chance to win the game. What I am saying is that this team has one of the top defenses in the league.

You can cherry pick games, ignore this game and that because it suits your argument, but the numbers of what they accomplished for the season are still very good.

I gave them due credit for winning those games in my post.

And I gave them credit for playing really good defense all season.

I did not cherry pick games to suit my argument, I simply threw out the 2 games against teams that EVERYONE beat up on all season.

And as we all know, what matters most is how teams are playing leading up to the next game. So I was just pointing out how the defense has been a little more porous leading up to this game. That's all.

That's nice and all, but why not include the last six games the Patriots played when the weather was 70 degrees?

Simple. I was wanting to show their current trend.

I am always more interested on the momentum my teams (the colts & cowboys) carry into the playoffs and how they perform in the playoffs than I am with how they did throughout the regular season. Once a team makes the playoffs, all bets are off. The Giants are proof of that. The Cowboys & Packers both had better regular seasons than the Giants but the Giants definitely carried more momentum into the playoffs, even their loss to NE was a confidence builderbased on how well they played in the losing effort.

you guys can gimme this "well thers only two teams to pick" or "why is anyone picking the giants a gloryhound"? crap....but i agree with the guy...its easy for these guys to come out with a catchy headline and a picture of eli manning to sell their article....and sure after the giants lose....dr z will trot a mailbag(reading dr z gives me a headache...i cant even make it through one of his pieces...i dont give a sh1t about your rugby matches,wine tasting, your redheaded wife) and hell take his little heat from emailers for a week..and admit he was wrong....but wheres the acountability from his bosses...its like how does skip bayless have a friggin job...if you had to wager your checking account on one team with the money line, who would it be? thats who u should pick

That was my point (i'm glad at least one person picked up on it). Of course, the giants have a chance to win the game.

I gave them due credit for winning those games in my post.

And I gave them credit for playing really good defense all season.

I did not cherry pick games to suit my argument, I simply threw out the 2 games against teams that EVERYONE beat up on all season.

And as we all know, what matters most is how teams are playing leading up to the next game. So I was just pointing out how the defense has been a little more porous leading up to this game. That's all.

18-0 :wacko:

Not to take any wind from your sail, but it was Bill Belichick that came up with the defensive game plan for the Giants against Buffalo.

The same Bill Belichick will be on the opposite side of the field in 2 weeks.

I don't think Belichick's defensive game plan in that game had anything to do with the Giants being on offense for over 40 minutes. Regardless, the Giants have another great defensive coordinator this year in Steve Spagnuoulo. All I'm saying is, if the Giants offense can control the clock and keep the Patriots offense off the field, I like the Giants chances. It all comes down to execution though. You can't make mistakes or not finish off drives or the Patriots will beat you.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

you guys can gimme this "well thers only two teams to pick" or "why is anyone picking the giants a gloryhound"? crap....but i agree with the guy...its easy for these guys to come out with a catchy headline and a picture of eli manning to sell their article....and sure after the giants lose....dr z will trot a mailbag(reading dr z gives me a headache...i cant even make it through one of his pieces...i dont give a sh1t about your rugby matches,wine tasting, your redheaded wife) and hell take his little heat from emailers for a week..and admit he was wrong....but wheres the acountability from his bosses...its like how does skip bayless have a friggin job...if you had to wager your checking account on one team with the money line, who would it be? thats who u should pick

The people who would have put their checking account on the Colts,Cowboys or Packers would be broke and not wagering anything but a severance check on the superbowl if they were held accountable.

He picked who he thinks will win,if the Patriots lose,should all the experts picking them be held accountable,or is that only of they disagree with your choice?

What makes a good expert? Someone who only picks the favorites every week or someone who picks the winners?

Edited by xtra

+1

everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I've already seen about 4 polls from various forums and all of them are favor of NY winning it all. The general public always roots for the underdog. The Pats were in the same boat in 01 and we all know the results. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself 7yrs later.

no chit- why does any care if Dr. Z picks the GMen???

would everyone rather have the same boring predictions of the ESPN "experts" last week- who all picked GB.............

so he mixes things up and picks NYG.......... care

lolol@being impressed by a guy picking straight up winners in the nfl....

Ok, next year, you pick every game he picks, and see who wins. At one point, he was around 80%. If you really believe you can pick more than 80% of straight up winners, you can quit your job and be a pro gambler just on moneyline and 1 pt spreads.

Ok, next year, you pick every game he picks, and see who wins. At one point, he was around 80%. If you really believe you can pick more than 80% of straight up winners, you can quit your job and be a pro gambler just on moneyline and 1 pt spreads.

i gamble quite a bit actually...im up over 5k in the last two and half weeks too....that doesnt mean i should quit my job though

sorry...dr z is a hack...he misspells the name of the giants defensive coordinator twice in the article....talks about how the giants are the only team to have slowed down maroney in the last month and a half...but neglects to mention the patriots played that game without the starting right side of their offensive line and top two tight ends...lol

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

:wacko:

well im not lying..dunno how i can prove it...its all nba and college basketball...only football i bet last weekend was the over on the giants/ pack...doesnt mean im going to quit my job with health benefits though....sorry im not impressed when some guy says a footall writer is was really hot at picking straight up winners

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

• 3 weeks later...