[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to Tyree

jjpro11

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I do agree with the Chargers situation, but, I've gotten past that, due to the way he has handled himself since.

Even as a Bolt fan I agree. Hey, we ended up getting Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding and Oben for the deal. With all the needs the Boltz had at the time, I think it worked out pretty well for both teams.

BTW, I don't think Eli swears much either! :D:wacko:

:D

Edited by McBoog

Even as a Bolt fan I agree. Hey, we ended up getting Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding and Oben for the deal. With all the needs the Boltz had at the time, I think it worked out pretty well for both teams.

BTW, I don't think Eli swears much either! :D:wacko:

:D

Eli, Ben, & Rivers are shaping up as very nice draft class. Of course, Losman was the other QB taken in the 1st round that year.

Eli, Ben, & Rivers are shaping up as very nice draft class. Of course, Losman was the other QB taken in the 1st round that year.

Eli - Most Likely to Succeed

Ben - Most Popular

Rivers - Class Clown

Yup! Maybe Rivers shuts the hole under his nose on game day :D and gets his ring next year!?!? :wacko:

Anyone know which draft class has the most rings for QBs? If Rivers gets one, someday, that would be three in the same first round!

that is well-said and very true. one play that embodied the same sort of "want-to", especially from a cinematic, re-play factor, was the elway helicopter play against green bay. it is just cool to see the super bowl inspire people to that almost out-of-body level of concentration and determination.

Not that I appreciate you bringing that up -- :D -- but that was the only other comparable play I could think of. For the life of me, though, I couldn't think of the game situation at the time of that play (score/down&distance/time left/etc.). :wacko:

it is just cool to see the super bowl inspire people to that almost out-of-body level of concentration and determination.

I totally agree. :D The very next thing I said to my wife was about how Tyree hardly played ALL year, and we got to see the absolute pinnacle of one man's life. Sure, weddings and child births take the cake, but as a man, the one question we all have (until we're actually tested) is, "When it matters most, can I rise to the occasion and deliver?" I guarantee when Tyree is laying in bed 50 years from now, he'll be thinking of that play and smiling, because he knows HIS answer is a resounding "yes."

I feel fortunate that I witnessed the whole thing, especially because five minutes before it happened, we almost decided to leave the party early and listen to the rest of the game on the radio. Sure glad we stayed. :moon:

Anti-climactic to watch it again with the droll call of uncertainty regarding what even had happened.

It was much more satisfying being in a bar full of 150 or so neutral observers who had been swayed over to the Giants side as the game wore on, and the sheer explosion of "I can't f***ing believe it!!!" that goes along with that kind of play.

Not that I appreciate you bringing that up -- :D -- but that was the only other comparable play I could think of. For the life of me, though, I couldn't think of the game situation at the time of that play (score/down&distance/time left/etc.). :wacko:

I totally agree. :D The very next thing I said to my wife was about how Tyree hardly played ALL year, and we got to see the absolute pinnacle of one man's life. Sure, weddings and child births take the cake, but as a man, the one question we all have (until we're actually tested) is, "When it matters most, can I rise to the occasion and deliver?" I guarantee when Tyree is laying in bed 50 years from now, he'll be thinking of that play and smiling, because he knows HIS answer is a resounding "yes."

I feel fortunate that I witnessed the whole thing, especially because five minutes before it happened, we almost decided to leave the party early and listen to the rest of the game on the radio. Sure glad we stayed. :moon:

How sad. First because he has already done the most remarkable thing he will ever do in his life if this catch is indeed his pinnacle. Secondly football is still just a game. I really like it (football) but it is in no way as important as almost anything else I do in my life. The act of teaching a kid to read ranks so far ahead of ANY football game as to be incomparable. I agree it was a great catch and an amazing athletic feat. But it's just a game.

How sad. First because he has already done the most remarkable thing he will ever do in his life if this catch is indeed his pinnacle. Secondly football is still just a game. I really like it (football) but it is in no way as important as almost anything else I do in my life. The act of teaching a kid to read ranks so far ahead of ANY football game as to be incomparable. I agree it was a great catch and an amazing athletic feat. But it's just a game.

Full of yourself much? Jeez.

The "game" is Tyree's career. That catch means more to him than being just part of "a game". It'll probably lead to a lot more income, and therefore security for his family. Maybe not, but probably.

Beyond the holier than thou (get it?) "teaching kids means more than a game" aspect of what you're saying, it means a heck of a lot more to the Tyree family, than to you. Congrats on having something meaningful to do in your life by the way. :wacko:

I'd say collectively entering the consciousness of 100,000,000 Americans is a little more than "just a game".

How many kids were David Tyree at recess today?

:wacko:

I totally agree. :wacko: The very next thing I said to my wife was about how Tyree hardly played ALL year, and we got to see the absolute pinnacle of one man's life. Sure, weddings and child births take the cake, but as a man, the one question we all have (until we're actually tested) is, "When it matters most, can I rise to the occasion and deliver?" I guarantee when Tyree is laying in bed 50 years from now, he'll be thinking of that play and smiling, because he knows HIS answer is a resounding "yes."

Excellent analysis. Tyree WILLED that ball into his hands and I think it had as much to do with determination, heart and desire as it did with any physical skills.

I think the play should simply be called, "Unbelievable!" Because that is what rang out in 100 million homes last night.

I guess the difference is that, if you don't teach that kid to read, there's a good chance he'll learn how anyway. I mean, it's a great thing to do and all, but we're talking about once-in-a-lifetime magic moments here. If Tyree doesn't catch the ball, there's almost NO chance the Giants win that game, and there's even LESS of a chance that Tyree will ever be in a similar situation again. And you think it's somehow wrong IF David Tyree looks at that moment as probably the greatest half-second of his life?

Have YOU ever had an opportunity like that, under similar high-pressure conditions?? I'm curious now.

who peed in your cheerios?

who peed in your cheerios?

Most likely no one. That's just how we teachers are. Then again, one of his kids couldn't taken a leak in his cheerios. :wacko:

Any fool with a speak-n-spell can teach a kid to read. Hell, I learned how to read from the TV Guide.

Catching a ball off your helmet in the Super Bowl (and schooling the biggest dick in the NFL in the process) is INSANE. :wacko:

Full of yourself much? Jeez.

The "game" is Tyree's career. That catch means more to him than being just part of "a game". It'll probably lead to a lot more income, and therefore security for his family. Maybe not, but probably.

Beyond the holier than thou (get it?) "teaching kids means more than a game" aspect of what you're saying, it means a heck of a lot more to the Tyree family, than to you. Congrats on having something meaningful to do in your life by the way. :wacko:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but you don't know me well enough to say that I am full of myself. I like my entertainment. The NFL is usually entertaining. But it's not that important. It's probably meaningless to most of the people in the world. I hope Tyree goes on to have a great career. I hope that this game is just a means to an end for him and his family. And I hope he can still walk when he's 45 and tell his grandkids about his great catch. And then smile at all of them and say, "But it's nothing compared to being your grandpa."

That's all I meant. Those of you easily offended, well, good. Think about it for a while. Or don't.

And I'm more of a raisin bran guy, lol.

I guess the difference is that, if you don't teach that kid to read, there's a good chance he'll learn how anyway. I mean, it's a great thing to do and all, but we're talking about once-in-a-lifetime magic moments here. If Tyree doesn't catch the ball, there's almost NO chance the Giants win that game, and there's even LESS of a chance that Tyree will ever be in a similar situation again. And you think it's somehow wrong IF David Tyree looks at that moment as probably the greatest half-second of his life?

Have YOU ever had an opportunity like that, under similar high-pressure conditions?? I'm curious now.

I didn't say it was wrong, I think it will be sad if that half second is the defining moment of his life. I said it was a tremendous, athletic play. I'm glad for him. And the Giants and their fans. But I think he'll have greater moments in his life. At least I hope so.

And no, I haven't had the opportunity to make a football catch in front of a national audience with all that pressure. But I saved some boys lives once and I think they'll rank that a little higher than a football game.