[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is "oops" in french?

DMD

Not a good day for world records

Balloon blows away free fall record bid

(CNN) -- French skydiver Michel Fournier's bid for a record-breaking parachute jump from Earth's stratosphere was aborted Tuesday when the balloon that was to carry him into the far reaches of the sky slipped away from his flight crew.

Michel Fournier tests his equipment a few days before his attempt to break four world records.

The former paratrooper had hoped to set new records for the highest jump, fastest free fall, longest free fall and the highest altitude reached by a man in a balloon. But those hopes drifted away over the plains of Saskatchewan when the balloon escaped.

Still clad in his bright yellow pressure suit, the visibly frustrated Fournier waved away cameras after his ride slipped away shortly after 5 a.m. (7 a.m. ET). There was no immediate word on how the effort was botched, but his flight crew was attempting to recover the balloon, according to his official Web site.

Fournier, 64, planned to start his "Big Jump" at 40 kilometers (25 miles) above the Earth's surface and land safely -- a risky proposition that French authorities already had barred on their territory.

He later got the approval of Canadian authorities to make the attempt over sparsely populated Saskatchewan.

At 19 kilometers up, if his pressure suit fail, his blood could begin to boil because of the air pressure, according to scientists who have been advising him on his mission. Should his body become exposed, he would lose consciousness and suffer brain damage within minutes.

Fournier says he hopes to collect data that will help astronauts and others survive at high altitudes.

He said of the mission dubbed "Le Grand Saut" (The Big Jump): "This project is a great scientific and human challenge," said Fournier. "This is my baby, my dream. I just want to realize my dream."

He has spent two decades and nearly $20 million in his quest to send him to the heavens in a stratospheric balloon. According to his Web site, Fournier sold virtually all his possessions to finance the launch of this project.

Tuesday's skydiving attempt comes after strong winds forced a postponement on Monday. Fournier has also had two unsuccessful jumps in 2002 and 2003. Strong winds tore his balloon the last time, but he bought a new one and the massive balloon is stronger this time around, reinforced with three layers.

Fournier has more than 8,600 jumps to his name and holds the French record for the highest parachute jump at 12,000 meters (40,000 feet).

He has spent two decades and nearly $20 million in his quest to send him to the heavens in a stratospheric balloon. According to his Web site, Fournier sold virtually all his possessions to finance the launch of this project.

Money well spent, I'd say.

:wacko: