[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teach me about riding lawnmowers.

untateve

I've never owned a riding lawnmower. I am considering buying one and dumping my lawn service.

My house is on a half acre lot. Nothing fancy or difficult about the lawn except the number of trees. I am looking for something that will efficiently mow my lawn for a reasonable price--but I don't want to purchase a piece of crap. I don't care about bagging or mulching--I just want the grass mowed in a dependable way.

Teach me. I want to learn.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any slopes on your property? If so, make sure you get one that can handle those particular grades. My parents have a Craftsman riding mower from Sears. I would not recommend it. POS. That's all I got.

For half an acre you only need a 46-48" cut. Zero-turn is great, but I would get one with normal steering. John Deere (my favorite) runs about 2k, closer to 3k for 50" cut. Deere's are known for quality construction. Husqvarna (sic) is alot cheaper but I hear they aren't as reliable. Cub Cadet is my second favorite. Not too expensive, decent quality.

Unta , hire someone to do it for you ...thats the best sit down mower around ...you sit down while others mow :wacko:

I have someone to do it for me know. For that and the hedges, it's costing me $125 per month. I have a son who turns 12 in Sept. He will not be charging me $125 per month.

Unta , hire someone to do it for you ...thats the best sit down mower around ...you sit down while others mow :D

Yeah...last summer I mowed alot...haven't mowed a bit this year thanks to the neighborhood grass cutters... :wacko: wanna buy a slightly used Cub Cadet?

I have someone to do it for me know. For that and the hedges, it's costing me $125 per month. I have a son who turns 12 in Sept. He will not be charging me $125 per month.

$125 for a half acre AND pruning? Your guy is a lowballer! $125 is low for just mowing, blowing and edging. I price my pruning out seperately depending on the time required (I'm in my first year with a new landscaping biz).

But.... a kid ought to have a chore or two... good idea. Most of the ride-ons under 3 grand are not good machines. I don't care if it's John Deere green or a Craftsman. A good ZTR (zero turn mower) is well over 4 grand, I'd say 5k for a reliable one with sufficient HP, if you want one that will still start and have some paint left on the mowing deck in 3 years go with a good walk behind. Get a walk behind unit. A 36" or a 32" machine, with at least 15HP (avoid the Briggs, get a Kawisaki) will do nicely, and the extra HP will come in handy in the fall when bagging leaves, it won't bog down.

I recommend this outfit if your lawn is level.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/

They use a single hydro, much easier to turn than a belt drive, but not as nimble as a much more expensive dual hydro unit. If the lawn is hilly, get a dual hydro machine. Google Walker mowers for dual hydro types. Better Quick is the machine I use in the biz, a 32" due to many small gates. Make the kid walk.... a half acre doesn't need a freakin ride-on. Waste of money.... and the kid needs to burn some calories! I don't care if he's skinny! A wlak behind will give him nice shoulders, and not a fat ar-se!

Feel free to PM me or ask again here..... I'm full of, amoungst other things, lots of advice on lawn mowers! :wacko::D

A half acre does not need a riding mower. I have have an acre and run while pushing the mower and it's great aeorbic exercise and you're done in no time-plus riding mowers take up a lot of room in the garage. Get a Honda self propelled and put on the jogging shoes that you don't mind getting grass stained.

A half acre does not need a riding mower. I have have an acre and run while pushing the mower and it's great aeorbic exercise and you're done in no time-plus riding mowers take up a lot of room in the garage. Get a Honda self propelled and put on the jogging shoes that you don't mind getting grass stained.

A self-propelled sets the pace for you though, doesn't it? I agree with the Honda suggestion. I have one (self-propelled), treat it like crap, but the thing just keeps on running (around 13 yrs old now).

I just bought This and I love it. I have a little over 1/2 acre and mine slopes somewhat in the front but I can still use it for 90% of my mowing. You will not be disappointed, I also bought the bagger for it as well and it will handle a snow plow for the front during the winter which I know you won't need but hey :wacko:

I just bought This and I love it. I have a little over 1/2 acre and mine slopes somewhat in the front but I can still use it for 90% of my mowing. You will not be disappointed, I also bought the bagger for it as well and it will handle a snow plow for the front during the winter which I know you won't need but hey :wacko:

could you be more specific in what I should buy as the link is not helpful at this point in time?

could you be more specific in what I should buy as the link is not helpful at this point in time?

Cub Cadet 20 HP, 46 In. Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor

Model 13RX11CH756

$1,649.00/EA Each

I went through this in the spring and ended up going over the top and got a Toro Timecutter Z5020. The difference in cut between that and the Husqvarna I had is amazing. Zero turn, 50" deck, 23 HP, it's like mowing the lawn with a Volkswagon. :wacko:

However, I got a great deal on it. It was last year's model sitting on the lot; the dealer threw in a bagger kit and took $500 off. Total price was around 3K. I do my lawn in about an hour now (approx 1/2 acre). By getting a prosumer machine I'm expecting that I will get 20 years out of this bugger with reasonable maintenance.

Once you get big enough, they become lawn tractors. Now that's what you want. More power, bigger cutting deck, women throw themselves at you, etc.

Mine is 24 HP, 54" deck. I go apecrap on the attachments for it. My lawn is about 3 acres and I'm clearing out a few dozen yards back into the surrounding woods as well.

One day I'm going to upgrade to the big John Deere one like the guy across the street. It's something you'd see on a farm. :wacko:

Remember, it's like woman and cars...you can never have too much deck and too much power.