[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does DMD have no opinion on Obama?

untateve

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, I don't believe DMD should be locking any political threads in the Tailgate. It IS a matter of a great interest to a number of us and we don't have the opportunity to have the discussions we'd like to every day on the street, but we do here 'cause there's people willing to have those exchanges. The Tailgate is the NON-SPORTS forum after all.

Sorry DMD, but I gotta give you a :wacko: for locking down the political threads. It's what's on people's minds. whether you like it or not- it just is.

Agreed. I think that if we're going to have political discussion it has to be completely unrestricted, otherwise the moderators will slant it towards their viewpoint, maybe even unintentionally - it's just human nature. Otherwise, ban it completely, you can't have it both ways. That being said, I'm in favor of a politics section, 99.99% of us are adults here and should be able to distinguish between real animosity and the back-and-forth of a bunch of internet tough guys

Just the pansy ways the Huddle is heading is making me consider packing my bags.

We have never wanted poltical threads here and I have allowed far more to start and exist than ever before. There is no change here other than slightly more leniency which may need to disappear anyway. If the overriding condition for you to find this place acceptable is to make unacceptable posts, then perhaps there is somewhere else you would be happier. We haven't changed in 12 years, why expect that now?

With all due respect, I don't believe DMD should be locking any political threads in the Tailgate. It IS a matter of a great interest to a number of us and we don't have the opportunity to have the discussions we'd like to every day on the street, but we do here 'cause there's people willing to have those exchanges. The Tailgate is the NON-SPORTS forum after all.

Sorry DMD, but I gotta give you a :wacko: for locking down the political threads. It's what's on people's minds. whether you like it or not- it just is.

We will never have an unmoderated board. I am really very comfortable in saying that.

Poltiical threads are topical, interesting and informative. They pertain to a part of society that impacts each and every one of us. They can enlighten and assist people in making vastly critical decisions that directly impacts themselves and society as a whole. And yet no one ever discusses anything on the subject. It is only used to make negative statements and offer up the chance to use terms like my demo-crap or replublitard and to denigrate effectively the other half of the population at every turn. If political discussions were not a problem for as long as I have been involved with the board, then why wouldn't I want them to exist?

Answer that - why wouldn't I want them here? If they are so great, why wouldn't we want them? I mean there are more page views and it involves many people and certainly livens up the board. Why would I not want that? I mean a post doesn't even have to be a positive here to exist, it just cannot be an overall negative and I would happily leave them alone. Trust me - that is about the last thing I look forward to every day. So - why in the world wouldn't I want them? Answer that.

As was pointed out, making a separate forum for them would only bleed over into everything else on the boards and the bottom line is what is the difference if a forum is named Tailgate or Politics? As has been suggested, I could just ban people whenever they make some negative political thread or post, but if I ever did that I would ban them forever because I am not going to constantly spend every day playing cop and reading every single reply to every single thread looking for someone to step over the line that a ton of people would. Particularly new people to the board over the summer and fall who would act just like most everyone does when it comes to politics.

I could change this place into a ghost town if I banned people. Or I could not allow political posts at all and be done with it. I am playing the grey area right now and "no political posts" is looking more and more like the most reasonable alternative. I would love if people could discuss poltiics reasonably and rationally. But they cannot. Too many with agendas to push which is almost entirely about tearing down "the other guy".

This is a fantasy football place and that is what I and others want to focus on - not playing board cop and having people who come here for football getting pissed off about politics.

Though I understand your point, this is really not the best place to come for an in depth discussion on a lot of the stuff that gets posted. If you are really into politics for example, there are hundreds of sites that have boards like these with people that love politics. I don't come to The Huddle or The Tailgate for education, just amusement. When I want to find out about different areas of science that interest me (Climal Warnging for example), I seek out sites wich presumably have people and links to information that is informed on the specific topic.

I have long complained, and gotten sucked into occasionally, the moronic name calling and labeling that goes on here in The Tailgate. The tone here can get ugly very quickly. This tone takes away from intelligent discussion on a subject and permates into the threads VERY quickly! Those who have to resort to name calling, IMO, hve very ittle to add to a topic and already feel they are losing ground in a discussion if this is what they have to resort to,

When you want to find out about grills, 5 hour energy potion, and the lighter stuff that gets posted here (and not to forget the tribute to Aqualung), there is no better place for some of the humor that is generated by this forum. Where else can you go, and despite fighting the urge, laugh at a picture where you know somebody died?

All-in-all, I agree with DMD in locking that stuff down :D . This is primarily a place where football fans come to enjoy football and chuckle about some other shtuff.

P.S.

How was that for "suck up"?? Can I now have my PM privaleges restored... PLEASE!?!?!? :D I've been locked out of them now for at least a year now!

I'm just saying...I'm noticing a lot of obama threads are locked.

He's tired of threads turning into sandlot hissy fits. I don't blame him but some threads are actually pretty positive.

I still like Wexler as VP choice. Jewish, from Florida and a tireless worker and fighter. He was his chosen rep at the rules meeting last weekend and did a great job.

You know, I don't really think that DMD hates obama. I was attempting to bring a little levity.

I also have a very simple solution that would allow the Tailgate to hold civil political debates.

The moment someone attacks another for simply disagreeing or having a different opinion, ban that person. After a few individuals get banned for this type of behavior, everyone else will take notice and keep the thread focused and civil.

It is clear that simply locking the threads is not effective in changing behavior. Neither has been requesting that individuals conduct themselves appropriately. I imagine policing the boards is tiresome as is fielding complaints from more sensitive huddlers. I assert that it's time to try something different that will improve the quality of discourse in the Tailgate while at the same time improve DMD's life.

(and some of you wonder why I'm DMD's favorite.)

I don't see how banning people is practical in the context you advocate it. In every case, a judgment call would have to be made. Will the mods carry a list of banned words and phrases such as Democrap? How will DMD know it isn't a simple typo?

Edit: Answered my own question - the filter, of course. :wacko:

He already has realized he's better off just gunning all political threads.

All of that said, I would definitely support a politics forum. I don't believe it would bleed over into other boards otherwise I'd never be able to play fantasy football in BOTH leagues with others I know to be right wingers. We get along just fine - differing politics are never mentioned (and never even come to mind as far as I'm concerned - the other folks are just opponents and fellow enthusiasts). I would suggest that entry to a Politics forum be prefaced by a notice saying "If you're easily offended you should not come in here".

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Poltiical threads are topical, interesting and informative. They pertain to a part of society that impacts each and every one of us. They can enlighten and assist people in making vastly critical decisions that directly impacts themselves and society as a whole. And yet no one ever discusses anything on the subject. It is only used to make negative statements and offer up the chance to use terms like my demo-crap or replublitard and to denigrate effectively the other half of the population at every turn. If political discussions were not a problem for as long as I have been involved with the board, then why wouldn't I want them to exist?

I don't agree that no discussion takes place. I don't like name calling either.

This election is one of the most important ones in our history. Possibly 3 supreme court justices will be appointed for life and the court could turn extremely right wing. Since a more balanced court stopped counting votes in Florida in 2000 a far more extreme court could have a huge impact on this country.

While politics in itself is important this election is like none other since FDR. I think this is more than just my opinion. We as a country are really at a critical turn this year.

Or, how about this. You could have a politics thread that is moderated by someone other than DMD.....but it would be password protected and you could only get the password from the moderators. That way, if you want to post about politics, you have to be approved by a few moderators.....or show good prowess in the other forums as a person who can discuss things....then you get in. That would protect DMD from having the general FF public from coming here for football and then getting offended....versus some of us who view this as a quasi community where we can discuss everything....hows about that idea....get the gun ready!!!! LOL

Or, how about this. You could have a politics thread that is moderated by someone other than DMD.....but it would be password protected and you could only get the password from the moderators. That way, if you want to post about politics, you have to be approved by a few moderators.....or show good prowess in the other forums as a person who can discuss things....then you get in. That would protect DMD from having the general FF public from coming here for football and then getting offended....versus some of us who view this as a quasi community where we can discuss everything....hows about that idea....get the gun ready!!!! LOL

That is an interesting idea. However, my bet is that eventually, with only a small subset of the total huddle population present, the debate would get stale. After awhile, everyone knows where everyone stands. The beauty of an open message board is that new blood and new life is always coming into the debates.

That is an interesting idea. However, my bet is that eventually, with only a small subset of the total huddle population present, the debate would get stale. After awhile, everyone knows where everyone stands. The beauty of an open message board is that new blood and new life is always coming into the debates.

It might work if you don't let muck in.

:wacko:

But this would leave out most people that post on politics....especially myself... :D

My guess is if you look into most of the threads that get started in the tailgate....most participants are predictable....but, we cannot discuss most issues as it could lead to third rail posting.....religion and what not. Obviously, entry would be loose....not an exclusive club mind you....but, obviously you just don't let the noob start posting in there until they have been around some....could work...I dunno...just a suggestion.

I see locking those threads as encouraging the name calling, because why is anyone going to discuss something if it's going to be locked in 5 minutes?

this may be the only intelligent thing you've ever said.

but please don't let my saying so keep you from leaving.

passwords... you could simply have a protected forum that has a pop-up with some basic rules... click "I understand and agree", enter.

For one thing, it would keep it out of the "newest posts" searches, but allow full access.

With some white boarding I am sure we can come up with something that will satisfy DMD's concerns....which BTW....are extremely valid since this is his product...and it has to be marketable.

We have never wanted poltical threads here and I have allowed far more to start and exist than ever before. There is no change here other than slightly more leniency which may need to disappear anyway. If the overriding condition for you to find this place acceptable is to make unacceptable posts, then perhaps there is somewhere else you would be happier. We haven't changed in 12 years, why expect that now?

is this really true, though? I don't remember any heavy-handed topic-based moderation until hurricane katrina. there was a definite change in your policy at that time if I am remembering at all correctly. and maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I seem to remember a number of good, informative tailgate discussions on now banned (or semi-banned) topics pre-katrina.