[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paul Newman has died

Randall

Fast Eddie: Fats, let's you and me shoot a game of straight pool.

Minnesota Fats: Hundred dollars?

Fast Eddie: Well, you shoot big time pool, Fats. I mean, that's what everybody says: you shoot big time pool. Let's make it $200 a game.

Minnesota Fats: Now I know why they call you Fast Eddie.

Eddie Felson: This ain't pool. This is for bangers. Straight pool is pool. This is like hand-ball, or cribbage, or something. Straight pool, you gotta be a real surgeon to get 'em, you know? It's all finesse. Now, every thing is nine-ball, 'cause it's fast, good for T.V., good for a lot of break shots... Oh, well. What the hell. Checkers sells more than chess.

One of my all time favorite characters. I couldn't imagine anyone else playing that role. He was perfect for it.

A lot of his work was before my time, but two that I really enjoyed and have watched numerous times are...

Cool Hand Luke

and

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Two classics, for sure. He was definitely one of a kind... RIP.

I was vacationing in a cabin near lake George... it was lakeside on a small lake, more like a very large pond.

Across the lake, there are all these kids, some sort of camp I guessed, playing, laughing, having a blast... maybe 100 of 'em. turns out it was a summer camp for kids with cancer... one of Newman's philanthropic endeavors operated on money that came from his "Newman's Own" products. Ever since that vacation, I bought the Newman's Own" stuff as often as I could.

He was a great actor, huge charimsa, but those kids... well that made a big impression on me. His legacy will live on in his films and in that foundation now administered by one of his daughters. guy could drive a race car pretty good too.

Rest in Peace, Mr Newman. :wacko:

what's yall's fav Newman flick? Mine, The Long Hot Summer, u can't beat Ben Quick

Too many to list! If he did 67 movies, 66 of them were great! But the short list in no particular orde, 'cept Chronological:

The Rack

The Young Philadelphians

Exodus

The Hustler

Hud (One of his best drama roles)

Torn Curtain (Great cold war stuff)

Hombre (A little off tilt but good)

Cool Hand Luke (Probably the movie that defined him)

The Secret War of Harry Frigg (not sure what to say here, but he carried the movie)

Winning (He showed his other side here. (great stuff))

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A classic never to equaled)

The Sting (Everyone who saw this for the first time was stung! No one coulda figgered it out!)

The Towering Inferno (Great acting...bad movie)

Slap Shot (His funniest to date!, but he had the ability to put humor in many)

Absence of Malice (Not his best, but I loved the chemistry between him and Sally Field)

The Verdict (Love this flick!)

The Color of Money (One of his best IMHO! A sequel after 25 years???? UN-FREAKIN'-REAL! Never been done as well!)

I'll end it there. Skipped a few and ignored others, but of all the actors I loved over the years, including my fave Cagney, He is one of Hollywood's best bar none!

He served the public (not to mention his WWII duties) w/ his acting, he served the poor and disparate w/ his food profits, and he just seemed like a genuine person that is rare today!

Peace to him and his family!

Fort Apache: The Bronx was the first R-rated movie I saw. :wacko:

Slap Shot is still one of the funniest movies ever made.

Butch Cassidy and The Sting are timeless classics

The Verdict, Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler, Hud.....amazing career.

Even that Nobody's Fool and Road to Perdition in his later career hold up well.

RIP.