[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leaf removal etiquette

whomper

In my town you have to just get the leaves to the front of your house in the street and they have designated pick ups 2 times in the fall. We had the first pick up about 10 days ago and the next and final one is about 7 days from now. My neighbors directly to the left of me do not remove their leaves at all. They just leave them and dont even think of touching them. I have been slowly getting rid of mine. I got a good percentage of mine out with the first pick up and today now that all the trees on the block are pretty empty I finished.

20 minutes after I finish I go outside and see a bunch of leaves blown over from my neighbors untouched property right back on mine. I was fuming. We actually get along with these people pretty well and my wife likes the woman of the house over there a lot. She feels a confrontation will lead to bad blood. I even thought about buying one of those roll out fences to block the leaves and indirectly show my displeasure but its a pretty long stretch of property and putting up that fence would be a pain in the ass. I guess im just screwed :wacko: I guess you cant force someone to be a responsible homeowner

Edited by whomper

In my town you have to just get the leaves to the front of your house in the street and they have designated pick ups 2 times in the fall. We had the first pick up about 10 days ago and the next and final one is about 7 days from now. My neighbors directly to the left of me do not remove their leaves at all. They just leave them and dont even think of touching them. I have been slowly getting rid of mine. I got a good percentage of mine out with the first pick up and today now that all the trees on the block are pretty empty I finished.

20 minutes after I finish I go outside and see a bunch of leaves blown over from my neighbors untouched property right back on mine. I was fuming. We actually get along with these people pretty well and my wife likes the woman of the house over there a lot. She feels a confrontation will lead to bad blood. I even thought about buying one of those roll out fences to block the leaves and indirectly show my displeasure but its a pretty long stretch of property and putting up that fence would be a pain in the ass. I guess im just screwed :wacko: I guess you cant force someone to be a responsible homeowner

Hmmm. This is a tough one. If you live in an open area with lots of lawn, then probly not many trees and leaves aren't a big issue. If you live (like I) in a heavily wooded area then leaves rule and we just leave it at that. Remember that "artificial" lawns are just that. Not what nature intended and, frankly, folly. They require major watering, feeding, mowing, and pampering In short, they suck. Perhaps your neighbor recognizes this and says, screw it, the leaves fall for a reason.

On the other hand, if his leaves are just blowing all over your driveway and porch, then thats a problem. In the end, you're screwed. Hope this helps.

Quick question... does your neighbor have any trees?

If I lived in a house with no trees, and the leaves blew through my yard into someone else's yard... well, I can't feel bad about that.

Quick question... does your neighbor have any trees?

If I lived in a house with no trees, and the leaves blew through my yard into someone else's yard... well, I can't feel bad about that.

Yes. They have a hugh Oak in the front of there house and a row of small ones that are in between both of our houses. As much as we like these poeple they are shaky on the upkeep of their home.

Sorry Whomp, but I let the leaves lay where they fall while both of my neighbors rake there's. They probably feel about me like you feel about your neighbors. I just don't feel that there's a need to get rid of them? Asthetics? Mow them up in the spring is how I feel.

Sorry Whomp, but I let the leaves lay where they fall while both of my neighbors rake there's. They probably feel about me like you feel about your neighbors. I just don't feel that there's a need to get rid of them? Asthetics? Mow them up in the spring is how I feel.

I do that in the back yard but not in the front.

Of course the front yard is usually really easy. The wind pretty much keeps them up against my house and the garage door, so I get out my vacuum mulching leave thing and just suck them all up. Takes about 15 minutes.

We have no houses across the street. My neighbor likes to blow all his leaves across the street. This is city property and I think he is breaking some kind of ordinance, but so what I guess. I have to pick up leaves, otherwise my grass will not grow next spring. About four total pick-up loads to the landfill yard waste site for the Rebellabs. I really don't think that a good neighbor is something to waste over a few leaves.

We have no houses across the street. My neighbor likes to blow all his leaves across the street. This is city property and I think he is breaking some kind of ordinance, but so what I guess. I have to pick up leaves, otherwise my grass will not grow next spring. About four total pick-up loads to the landfill yard waste site for the Rebellabs. I really don't think that a good neighbor is something to waste over a few leaves.

I agree and I wont say anything . It just sucks to bust my ass for probably over 10 hours when all is said and done and it just goes out the window on the side and front of my house

I'd sneak out in the middle of the night and empty a bag of the leaves I just raked all over his lawn. They're his, after all. And I'd dump them on the side of his house so that they couldn't blow back onto my lawn. I'd dress all comando, black paint on my face...make a day of it.

May be petty, but it would make me feel an awful lot better.

I'd sneak out in the middle of the night and empty a bag of the leaves I just raked all over his lawn. They're his, after all. And I'd dump them on the side of his house so that they couldn't blow back onto my lawn. I'd dress all comando, black paint on my face...make a day of it.

You need to ask isleseeya if whomper goes commando or not. :wacko:

His lawn is completely covered with leaves. He would never know I did it :wacko:

Leaving leaves on the lawn under snow over winter encourages mold and damages the grass.

This is true... it also promotes fungus infestations, creates habitat for wonderful things like slugs and snails and will seriously damagel the grass. I like to mulch the leaves and add them to my compost pile for spring and vegtable plantings next year.

The grass lawn vs. going natural is becoming more hotly debated. I still like to have a perfectly manicured front lawn. Famous great formal gardens have always inspired people. Is it societal or is it man's attempt to display a power over nature or a demonstration of power and money? Some of all three me thinks. One CAN have a perfect lawn and still be environmentally responsible, but it does cost $.

Having a perfect lawn and finely manicured gardens is something I enjoy doing, but being a landscaper, would I have another choice? LOL... but leaves blowing around is inevitable. I clean my front yard of leaves at least twice a week. Invest in a good blower.... and just blow the stuff back to where it came from if the volume is too much. If they don't care about leaves on their lawn at all... would they mind having them returned to them?

Seriously.... if you get a lot of leaves, get a good blower, especially if the town will pick them up from the street. It would take less than 5 minutes to do that part of the neighbor's property where the invading leaves blow over from.

There are a ton of large oaks in my neighborhood. Some neighbors don't have many trees but they roll with the punches and rake leaves that blow onto their property. You may check and see if there's an ordinance similar to height of grass in the yard but I doubt there's one regarding leaves.

My neighbor upwind doesn't do it, either. The front yard leaves blow across my short grass and off my lawn. Good. The backyard is the problem, so I blow the leaves off his backyard, also. There are woods directly behind the house, so it's easy enough to get rid of them.

He's lazy when it comes to yardwork, I enjoy it.

Can't you approach them without it becoming an issue?