[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here we ga again

McBoog

I agree 100%. How can someone defend these dogs????

A while back there was a thread about Pit Bulls and people having them along with small children in the house. Why anyone would put other people in harms way is beyond me.

What do Pit Bulls have that other dogs don't? Why not have a Golden Retriever?

The key word in that articel was "unprovoked". Having a pit bull is a sign of stupidity in my opinion.

If it isn't the dog, why are they the ones almost always in these stories?

When was the last time a Golden Retriever killed a family member? :wacko:

Your link, she doesn't.

Here's a fixed one Pit Story. Let's hope they don't change it again.

Not to defend Pit's , but you never see stories about other types of dogs killing people because it's not sensational news. If you do a search for news articles about dogs killing people then you will see that it's not just pit bulls that do this. The unfortunate truth though is that many people who own pit's neither realize their potential for aggressive/protective behavior nor are capable to prevent or stop it.

Not to defend Pit's , but you never see stories about other types of dogs killing people because it's not sensational news. If you do a search for news articles about dogs killing people then you will see that it's not just pit bulls that do this. The unfortunate truth though is that many people who own pit's neither realize their potential for aggressive/protective behavior nor are capable to prevent or stop it.

That is the key right there...... Someone may own a Pit and never have a problem, but is beyond me why anyone would take the risk....especially with kids! My Westie might bite too and has, but when he does he don't have the power to kill or seriously mame me or a member of my family. Owning a Pit Bull is a bad decision IMO and I would have no problem with them being outlawed.

Pit Bulls are an easily trained breed. They were bred to fight, true, but also to accept any good human training. So if you decide to train one well, they are a sweetheart of a dog. However, if you choose to train them poorly, or not at all, that's problematic as thier breeding takes over.Just like any other dog.

We have a Great Pyrenees mix that is EXTREMELY protective. We have had to train him well to keep him and others safe from his 150lb butt. If we chose not to train him, I shudder to think of the damage he could do.

Edited by cre8tiff

If it isn't the dog, why are they the ones almost always in these stories?

When was the last time a Golden Retriever killed a family member? :wacko:

Get a life.

Heres a golden lab who bit a girl in September:Golden Lab

Here's a pug a couple of weeks ago: Pug

Here's a "trained" police dog: Cop Dog

How about a Yellow Lab: Yellow Lab

Or a Husky: Husky

Or a Poodle: Poodle

This lab killed a kid: Lab

But to answer your question- looks like May was a Golden's turn: Golden Retreiver

Rajncajn had it right- people focus on the Pit, but tend to ingore all other breeds (just like this thread).

It is not so much the breed that is the issue. It is the morans who train them.

Get a life.

But to answer your question- looks like May was a Golden's turn: Golden Retreiver

Rajncajn had it right- people focus on the Pit, but tend to ingore all other breeds (just like this thread).

+1 to this post and rajns

"Pit bulls" are fighting dogs. Its in their genes. They are built to maim and kill.

To compare it to a golden retriever and the like is silly. I suppose any dog can attack you, but how many breeds are going to seriously f*ck you up like a pit bull?

Statistics by breed. As one would expect Pit Bulls lead the list by a large margin followed by Rottwielers, and German Shepards, with German Shepards being responsible for 1/3 of the Deaths of Pit Bulls. Check out page 3.

Get a life.

Wow, thanks for all those links about stories about dogs that simply bit someone. How does that even compare to the stories about a pit bull that has KILLED someone. :wacko:

Wake the f up.

Statistics by breed. As one would expect Pit Bulls lead the list by a large margin followed by Rottwielers, and German Shepards, with German Shepards being responsible for 1/3 of the Deaths of Pit Bulls. Check out page 3.

The dog is bred to be aggressive & protective of it's owner & territory. The problem is not the dog, it's the owner who does not understand that fully or just doesn't care.

The dog is bred to be aggressive & protective of it's owner & territory. The problem is not the dog, it's the owner who does not understand that fully or just doesn't care.

I could almost agree with you except for one thing - the dog can act independent of it's owner. This isn't like guns or swimming pools, inanimate objects that can do nothing without human interaction. I'm not saying they should be banned, but people should be liable for the dog's actions, probably both criminally and civilly (sp?).

I could almost agree with you except for one thing - the dog can act independent of it's owner. This isn't like guns or swimming pools, inanimate objects that can do nothing without human interaction. I'm not saying they should be banned, but people should be liable for the dog's actions, probably both criminally and civilly (sp?).

I agree 100%, but that should go for all dogs not just pits. No person should own a pit if they are not fully aware & capable to handle it when/if it gets out of hand. But the truth is most of the people who own them aren't & they think the dog is "just a big baby" until the dogs aggressive nature comes out. What's worse is there is no way to regulate or "ban" these dogs. There will never be any kind of enforceable regulation on these dogs & even if there was then you would have to include other dogs as well. The only thing that can be done is to make owners responsible for their dogs.

I agree 100%, but that should go for all dogs not just pits. No person should own a pit if they are not fully aware & capable to handle it when/if it gets out of hand. But the truth is most of the people who own them aren't & they think the dog is "just a big baby" until the dogs aggressive nature comes out. What's worse is there is no way to regulate or "ban" these dogs. There will never be any kind of enforceable regulation on these dogs & even if there was then you would have to include other dogs as well. The only thing that can be done is to make owners responsible for their dogs.

IIRC, in most states a dog gets one bite before being considered a dangerous animal. After it's bitten someone once, you are liable for the damages. My assertion would be that perhaps pits should be considered dangerous period - without the first bite. I don't really know, though, since I'm a big live and let live person. I know I wouldn't ever have one.

This is America, where every individual is judged by their deeds... not their racial probability of causing violence.

I can buy into this to an extent. I knew a Moran that named his Pit "Hamburger". The inflection in his voice on how he said "hamburger" was also the attack command. Too many people have these dogs BECAUSE of their reputation and are incapable of obtaining or giving the proper training. They just think it is cool to have a bada$$ dog. These are the same doofus yackoffs that are 5'2" and drive an elevated F350.