[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just another reason Chilly needs to go

CaP'N GRuNGe

This is just embarrassing…

Vikings have 14,000 tickets left

December 30th, 2008 – 1:24 PM by Judd Zulgad

A television blackout of the Vikings’ playoff game against the Eagles on Sunday is becoming closer to a reality.

The team announced today that fans purchased more than 6,000 tickets on Monday for their wild card playoff game but that still means that approximately 14,000 tickets remain. That is a significant number and time is running out.

Under NFL rules those tickets must be sold 72 hours before kickoff, or by 3:30 p.m. Thursday, in order for the game not to be blacked out on Twin Cities Fox-affiliate KMSP (Ch. 9). The NFL almost certainly will grant the Vikings a 24-hour extension, meaning that they will have until Friday afternoon to sell the tickets. However, with the holiday this week that might not be enough time. Ticket prices range from $30 to $160. The Vikings have had various players on the radio today trying to get the word out about tickets.

This would mark the Vikings first blackout in this market since the regular-season finale in 1997. An NFL playoff game has not been blacked out in a local market since Miami-area residents were unable to see the Dolphins play host to Baltimore on Jan. 13, 2002.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just embarrassing…

Vikings have 14,000 tickets left

December 30th, 2008 – 1:24 PM by Judd Zulgad

A television blackout of the Vikings’ playoff game against the Eagles on Sunday is becoming closer to a reality.

The team announced today that fans purchased more than 6,000 tickets on Monday for their wild card playoff game but that still means that approximately 14,000 tickets remain. That is a significant number and time is running out.

Under NFL rules those tickets must be sold 72 hours before kickoff, or by 3:30 p.m. Thursday, in order for the game not to be blacked out on Twin Cities Fox-affiliate KMSP (Ch. 9). The NFL almost certainly will grant the Vikings a 24-hour extension, meaning that they will have until Friday afternoon to sell the tickets. However, with the holiday this week that might not be enough time. Ticket prices range from $30 to $160. The Vikings have had various players on the radio today trying to get the word out about tickets.

This would mark the Vikings first blackout in this market since the regular-season finale in 1997. An NFL playoff game has not been blacked out in a local market since Miami-area residents were unable to see the Dolphins play host to Baltimore on Jan. 13, 2002.

How can they black out a playoff game? That is just silly. Yep...pretty damn embarrassing.

I heard this this morning on talk radio. That is insane!!

Did they have a tough time selling out regular season games???

I am sure they will get sold - no way they blackout a playoff game is there??

It's happened before - Miami were blacked out for the visit of Baltimore in 2002.

Sad... no, pathetic, really. :wacko: However, this isn't the first time that I've heard a rumor that a MIN game is going to be blacked out. It's been a topic of conversation regularly when the Vikings or Twins make the post-season. I'm fairly certain that they'll sell out, but it will probably go down to the wire.

What's really sad is that the thought has actually crossed my mind to find a last-minute flight back to MN. Unfortunately, the cost of the flight would more than likely severely outweigh the cost of tickets, and it doesn't really fit in to my (and my wife's) post-holiday spending cut-back plan.

Seriously, how sad is this, though... I went to the SF/WAS game this weekend, only because my wife's brother is a Niners' fan. Got decent seats online for our group for about $100 a seat... 45 yard-line, but in the upper level on the SF side of the field. So, today, just out of curiosity, I go online to check MIN/PHI tickets. For $160 a seat, I could get four tickets at the 35 yard-line about 15 rows from the field! Why are those seats even available right now? :D Ridiculous.

How is it Chilli's fault that you Vikings "fans" are so (a)pathetic? :wacko:

Hmm, a 10-6 team with one of the elite players in the league carrying the offense?

GB (and Chicago) fans would be lined up around the STATE for tickets.

Vikes fans suck.

That is crazy and sad for all Vikings fans.

I think the Vikings organization should man up and buy the tickets so that the game can be on TV in the local market. Not right now but a minute before the deadline they should do it. I know other organizations have done this in the past.

Hmm, a 10-6 team with one of the elite players in the league carrying the offense?

Vikes fans suck.

Ah, but Green Bay and Chicago have real fans who sit outside in sold out stadia in weather that would make Scott of the Antarctic turn up the furnace. Meanwhile, the Vikings fans sit in their temperature controlled dome wearing gold braids.

Or maybe they don't. :wacko:

Vikes fans suck.

I'm pretty sure Lions fans would line up to Green Bay or Chicago for Lions playoff tickets.

I think the Vikings organization should man up and buy the tickets so that the game can be on TV in the local market.

Why? Why should the Vikings reward those who can't be bothered to get their carcasses down to the warm fluffy Metrodome even after pissing and moaning all year about how they'll miss the playoffs again?

The organization has put a sub-par product (that is often boring to watch) on the field for years now. It charges premium prices to watch said product in a cruddy stadium. Factor in a piss-poor economy and you have the recipe for people not wanting(or not able) to spend money to see the team play in person as readily as they used to be. There have been a few games this year that have been close to being blacked out but the network has snatched up the remaining tix so they could show the game and get the ad money. This time there are far more tickets available as reportedly only a little more than half the STH have opted to buy playoff tickets. I suspect more will come around and there will be some growing bandwagon effect and then either Zygi or the network will get the rest. I would be surprised if it is indeed blacked-out here locally.

This issue is not a reason to fire Childress, but you can say he has at least contributed to it by putting an often sloppy, undisciplined team on the field during his tenure. He has also not done much to ingratiate himself with the people here with his arrogant yet horribly monotonous tone, either. I suspect there are at least some people who would otherwise be willing to buy up tickets for the game that are chosing not to because they (quite frankly) want him gone in the worst way.

This organization has made a habbit out of tearing the hearts out of its fans over the years. I dont think you can really blame people for being hesitant to cough up their dough when they're thinking its about to happen yet again.

The organization has put a sub-par product (that is often boring to watch) on the field for years now. It charges premium prices to watch said product in a cruddy stadium. Factor in a piss-poor economy and you have the recipe for people not wanting(or not able) to spend money to see the team play in person as readily as they used to be. There have been a few games this year that have been close to being blacked out but the network has snatched up the remaining tix so they could show the game and get the ad money. This time there are far more tickets available as reportedly only a little more than half the STH have opted to buy playoff tickets. I suspect more will come around and there will be some growing bandwagon effect and then either Zygi or the network will get the rest. I would be surprised if it is indeed blacked-out here locally.

This issue is not a reason to fire Childress, but you can say he has at least contributed to it by putting an often sloppy, undisciplined team on the field during his tenure. He has also not done much to ingratiate himself with the people here with his arrogant yet horribly monotonous tone, either. I suspect there are at least some people who would otherwise be willing to buy up tickets for the game that are chosing not to because they (quite frankly) want him gone in the worst way.

This organization has made a habbit out of tearing the hearts out of its fans over the years. I dont think you can really blame people for being hesitant to cough up their dough when they're thinking its about to happen yet again.

Whatever. Your team is in the playoffs; maybe you should move to a Southern state, you'd fit in well there.

Vikes fans suck.

Ah, but Green Bay and Chicago have real fans who sit outside in sold out stadia in weather that would make Scott of the Antarctic turn up the furnace. Meanwhile, the Vikings fans sit in their temperature controlled dome wearing gold braids.

Both the Packers and Bears have given their fans a reason to believe.

As I said, the Vikes have routinely dissappointed its fans and now you see the fans are a little conditional with their financial support. Not saying its right, necessarily, but I think that's how it is.

Edited by Delicious_bass

I'm pretty sure Lions fans would line up to Green Bay or Chicago for Lions playoff tickets.

Gold.

I agree with most of this BUT...

How many other teams' fans have had their hearts ripped out over the years as often as Vikings' fans (OK, maybe not quite as much in some cases, but close), yet a game like this (playoff game against a team they certainly have a shot at beating) would most certainly never come close to being blacked out? Let's throw out the Super Bowl winning teams in the last 20 years, and just focus on other teams who are in the same boat... Buffalo, NYJ, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland (hell, they lost their team completely once, and would still sell out this game)... The list goes on. I don't know what it is, exactly, but the sad fact is that Vikings fans are fair-weather fans, for the most part. I don't know if it's always been that way... I can only speak to the last 20 years or so. Maybe it's a Metrodome thing. :wacko:

All I can say is that I grew up in rural Minnesota, two hours from the Twin Cities, not having enough money to go to a single Vikings game, much less buy season tickets. I went to my first game after graduating from college. I haven't lived in Minnesota for nearly ten years. But, if I did still live there, buying season tickets now would be a no-brainer... I've got the cash, but even if that wasn't the case, being a Minnesota fan is in my blood. That will never change. It just kills me to go to these other stadiums (some of them in no better condition than the dome), and wonder how grand life would be if I had the ability to live in the area where my homer teams play. Not meant to be, I guess.... Maybe the old argument that the Twin Cities isn't a large enough fan-base to support four pro franchises DOES hold some water. We lose the North Stars two decades ago, spend another decade fighting to get an NHL franchise back, and then when we do, we can't find enough true fans to support the other three. :D

Edited by Gopher

Whatever. Your team is in the playoffs; maybe you should move to a Southern state, you'd fit in well there.

What do you want me to do? Go house to house and force people to buy tickets? I only offered my opinion on why a home playoff game is in danger out being blacked out. I am not advocating people not going, only saying I think I understand the reasons why.