[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just another reason Chilly needs to go

CaP'N GRuNGe

Love to see the Bears and Packer fans giving Viking fans crap about not selling out the playoff game. (Have you guys sold out your playoff games? Oh yeah that's right you're sitting this year out.) I guess you're only a true fan of your team if you choose to spend $500+ to go to a football game instead of pay your bills, feed you family, pay your mortgage?

The money was due into the Packer organization weeks ago and they had my moey and I bet they had more tickets sold than the Vikings do now.

Don't get me wrong I can understand why it would be tough to sell those seats.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this... there are a lot of things that factor into this...

- The stadium. The atmosphere for tailgating at/near the Metrodome blows. Right or wrong, this is probably a factor in a lot of people's minds when considering whether or not to buy tickets to a game in January. Don't even get me started on the INSIDE of the dome... pay nearly the same outrageous prices for concessions that you would at most other (newer) parks, but don't get nearly the atmosphere to go with it.

- Market size. You can't compare the Twin Cities to Chicago or New York (larger markets that also have four pro sports teams). You also can't compare it to Green Bay, which only has one pro sports team. That's not meant to be an excuse as much as it is an obvious observation, but I think it does factor into the equation.

- Past history/success of the team. Once again, not an excuse, but the Vikings have notoriously disappointed over the years. Living in St. Paul during the Packers Super Bowl seasons of the early 90's, I can also tell you this... the number of die-hard Packers fans living on the West side of the MN/WI border grew significantly once the Packers started winning championships. Packers fans started coming out of the woodwork. So, I would agree to an extent that every team has their fair weather fans, just like I would agree that there ARE some die-hard Vikings fans as well.

There are obviously a lot of other factors as well. The bottom line is that, although I think the tickets will eventually sell, I just wish as a fan who lives 1700+ miles away, that they would sell a little bit faster. I'll watch the game either way in CA... It's just irritating that a lot of the same fans who talk about wanting a new stadium for their NFL team choose not to fork over the cash for tickets when that same team makes it to the post-season somewhat unexpectedly (and, by that, I simply mean that most of us didn't see MN making it to the playoffs 3-4 weeks into the season).

From 73-92(until Wolf arrived) the Packers averaged about 6 1/2 wins a year yet sold out every game. Green Bay had about 75,000 people. The whole state supported the team.

We do have owners than the Vikings do though.

From 73-92(until Wolf arrived) the Packers averaged about 6 1/2 wins a year yet sold out every game. Green Bay had about 75,000 people. The whole state supported the team.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is the people of WI own the Packers. I think everyone would agree people tend to be more passionate/supportive of something that is "theirs".

Not to mention, its friggin Wisconsin! What in the heck else is there to do after Labor Day besides get drunk and watch the Packers?? :wacko:

Edited by Delicious_bass

- The stadium. The atmosphere for tailgating at/near the Metrodome blows. Right or wrong, this is probably a factor in a lot of people's minds when considering whether or not to buy tickets to a game in January. Don't even get me started on the INSIDE of the dome... pay nearly the same outrageous prices for concessions that you would at most other (newer) parks, but don't get nearly the atmosphere to go with it.

- Market size. You can't compare the Twin Cities to Chicago or New York (larger markets that also have four pro sports teams). You also can't compare it to Green Bay, which only has one pro sports team. That's not meant to be an excuse as much as it is an obvious observation, but I think it does factor into the equation.

- Past history/success of the team. Once again, not an excuse, but the Vikings have notoriously disappointed over the years. Living in St. Paul during the Packers Super Bowl seasons of the early 90's, I can also tell you this... the number of die-hard Packers fans living on the West side of the MN/WI border grew significantly once the Packers started winning championships. Packers fans started coming out of the woodwork. So, I would agree to an extent that every team has their fair weather fans, just like I would agree that there ARE some die-hard Vikings fans as well.

There are obviously a lot of other factors as well. The bottom line is that, although I think the tickets will eventually sell, I just wish as a fan who lives 1700+ miles away, that they would sell a little bit faster. I'll watch the game either way in CA... It's just irritating that a lot of the same fans who talk about wanting a new stadium for their NFL team choose not to fork over the cash for tickets when that same team makes it to the post-season somewhat unexpectedly (and, by that, I simply mean that most of us didn't see MN making it to the playoffs 3-4 weeks into the season).

Well said, Goph.

Big part of it is the economy, too, I'd wager. People are losing their homes and jobs at an alarming rate. And it appears its going to get worse before it gets better. NFL jacks up the prices on playoff tickets (despite laying people off itself) and expects people to run for their wallets? :wacko:

I am not about to call anyone out as a lousy fan cause they either cant afford tickets or chose to prioritize a football game a little lower on the list right now.

GB city population:

1970 census, 87,809

1980 census 87,899

1990 census 96,466

GB city population:

1970 census, 87,809

1980 census 87,899

1990 census 96,466

In 1970 the seating was a little over 56,000. We sold out through the oil embargo and vietnam.

Average income. About $5000 more per. Buy tickets with it.

Green Bay Wisconsin

Median household income $47,059 $53,434

Average household Income $53,661 $60,962

Per capita income $23,323 $25,441

Median Disposable Income $40,283 $44,939

Minneapolis Minnesota

Median household income $45,830 $57,422

Average household Income $58,517 $68,862

Per capita income $26,761 $28,109

Median Disposable Income $39,467 $47,909

Love to see the Bears and Packer fans giving Viking fans crap about not selling out the playoff game. (Have you guys sold out your playoff games? Oh yeah that's right you're sitting this year out.) I guess you're only a true fan of your team if you choose to spend $500+ to go to a football game instead of pay your bills, feed you family, pay your mortgage?

I have been die hard Viking fan since I can remember, have seen them lose 4 Superbowls, 5 NFC Champ games, numerous other crushing losses, yet year after year I cheer for the Vikings. I have even raised my 4 year old to be a Viking fan (how cruel is that?)

Lambeau and Soldier Field are AWESOME places to watch a game, the Dome sucks yet we still sel it out year after year even though we have had a medicore product for years.

Are Vikings fans fairweather? Some are but every team has them. It is easy to be a fan when you have Superbowl wins to always look back on. I know lot's of bandwagon Packer and Bear fans... Viking fans don't have the corner on that market.

Bottom line is this, football is a game, not my life. If choosing to spend my $ on essentials versus a playoff game makes me a bad fan then so be it. I am sure I am not alone.

Times are tough I agree. Your speech brought a tear to my eye. If I were you I wouldn't waste any more of your money on fantasy football website memberships or fantasy football altogether. Stick to the free Yahoo leagues, because they aren't as costly.

In 1970 the seating was a little over 56,000. We sold out through the oil embargo and vietnam.

Green Bay Wisconsin

Minneapolis Minnesota

Yeah, but the cost of living is 13% higher than in Green Bay so actually we have less money to spend than the people in Green Bay.

Edited by Outshined

There were tickets available at 8AM WED for $30 each on ticketmaster. Checked now but the system was down. I bet you could still get cheap tickets. Not sure where that $500 price came from. I bought on 3 Tues and I'm a Packer fan.

I think everyone here will agree that the Metrodome is complete ass. My first visit there was for a baseball game, and I have hunch it will be the ONLY visit.

Bah. Green Bay is 1/10th the size of the Twin Cities, not to mention both franchises have a statewide pull.

I hate fair-weather Packer fans probably more than I hate fair-weather fans of ANY team...because I give them the "hey, why don't you root for Dallas, you'd fit right in" line.

8,000 tickets left and the NFL granted the Vikings an extension to get the tickets sold before they lock down the blackout. :wacko: You can't tell me there's better things to do in the Twin Cities than go see an NFL playoff game. Wow, what an embarrassment.

well going fishen then viewing the game at a pub sounds much better to me.... but then again i think the players make to much money. Why don't the players get together and buy up some of those tickets and give them out. I know its hard to live on 4 million a year but in these tough times someone has to step up.

well going fishen then viewing the game at a pub sounds much better to me.... but then again i think the players make to much money. Why don't the players get together and buy up some of those tickets and give them out. I know its hard to live on 4 million a year but in these tough times someone has to step up.

That was my plan...I was set to go up to Vermillion/Crane/Sand Point for Crappies and Snowmobiling this weekend. I could have watched the game because it probably will be televised up there since it is damn near in Canada. I got talked into going to the game with a couple other friends, so I will be hanging out down here and then going to the game on Sunday.

If anybody else is going, I'll be somewhere on the plaza for the pregame...

Good point.

It looks like someone someone bought the remaining tickets. If so maybe they bare giving them away. I think you can the game better on TV, but being at the game is exciting.

Good point.

It looks like someone someone bought the remaining tickets. If so maybe they bare giving them away.

I know you were replying to Yukon so maybe you are using Yukonese here, but I'm not sure i understand what you are saying. Did someone buy the remaining tickets? Link?

I know you were replying to Yukon so maybe you are using Yukonese here, but I'm not sure i understand what you are saying. Did someone buy the remaining tickets? Link?

I don't see anything on Star Tribune web site. Still 8,000 left to go before 3:30pm (the second deadline from the NFL) to avoid the blackout. Gonna be an uphill battle from here.

Local TV has 16 advertising spots @ $20k apiece for a maximum income of $320,000 so realistically the most tickets they would buy at an average of $100 apiece is 1,600, or half the advertising revenue.

I looked at ticketmaster and only saw Cardinals tickets. It could be a glitch. Do you see tickets for sale?

Called Ticketmaster and they have tickets ranging from $30-365. My bad. I've had troubled getting the Vikings system to load. Perhaps they know I'm a Packer fan.

Edited by Randall

Green Bay Wisconsin

Minneapolis Minnesota

Weren't half the home game in Milwaukee during the 70's???