[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let me axe you a question

gbpfan1231

I have noticed lately that the word "axe" (as opposed to ask) is being used more often and it seems that nobody corrects it and it is considered ok.

I have to admit I do actually catch episodes of Judge Judy or People's Court and you hear people say "axe" and the judge just let's it go.

Is the word axe now considered a proper way to pronounce the word?

You can't be serious.

I actually am serious. I hear it so much and it really annoys me and I am wondering if it is actually acceptable pronunciation and I am wrong to be annoyed. I would hope if it is wrong and someone uses the word in a court of law that person should be corrected but it never happens.

I actually am serious. I hear it so much and it really annoys me and I am wondering if it is actually acceptable pronunciation and I am wrong to be annoyed. I would hope if it is wrong and someone uses the word in a court of law that person should be corrected but it never happens.

Blame the producers for that one. It is a television show after all. But no, it's ghetto talk, nothing more.

ETA: Judge Judy used to correct people that would say "AXE" in the early years of the show, but for some reason, she doesn't do it anymore. And yes, its extremely annoying.

Edited by tazinib1

The correct spelling would be aks. It, like many other versions of words accepted nowadays, can be said with more lazy mouth movements than ask. This wasn't started in the "ghetto" or even by black people like most think, but actually originated from a southern drawl.

It still pisses me off for some reason and if they use it while on Judge "MAN HATER" Judy their chances of winning goes down to about 30%

and the lip-licking ever 3rd word irritates me also.. WOW, am I predjust or was I raised in a different time in society.. :wacko:

A woman in our customer service dept , of all places, says AXE big time. For some reason it annoys the hell out of me. We had one of our vendors come in once, an english woman , and she tried to correct this girl. That didnt go over well. Her neck went on the swivel and she got pretty pissed off.

Edited by whomper

It really annoys the hell out of me.

Another major annoyance is the non use of the word "OF". As in " Get out the way" as opposed to "Get out of the way". We have Harry Sydney as a radio host here in Green Bay (he is horrible by the way). He is constantly forgetting to us the word of. Things like "Out the box" instead of "out of the box".

Nobody ever corrects this and it annoys the crap out of me!!!

Edited by gbpfan1231

I consider myself a Judge Judy aficionado and she certainly is aware of poor grammar. However with some litigants she'd be engaged in endless cases, correcting every word. It's hard enough for many people to recount a conversation accurately.

When she wants to pull a power move and rattle somebody to get to the truth, she'll correct people in their grammar. "Yes" instead of "Yep" or nope.

for no.

The Man Hater line...way off. She dislikes stupid people regardless of sex. People who make the same mistake time and time again and then seek the court's help. Judge Judy slams women maybe even more. Being a strong sucessful woman that would make sense. Girlfriends are always co-signing for cars, cell phones, and apartments and she lets them have it. They rarely get all they seek because the woman sleeps with the dude after he did something awful.

You sir are off base. If you axe me.

I have noticed lately that the word "axe" (as opposed to ask) is being used more often and it seems that nobody corrects it and it is considered ok.

I have to admit I do actually catch episodes of Judge Judy or People's Court and you hear people say "axe" and the judge just let's it go.

Is the word axe now considered a proper way to pronounce the word?

It really annoys the hell out of me.

Another major annoyance is the non use of the word "OF". As in " Get out the way" as opposed to "Get out of the way". We have Harry Sydney as a radio host here in Green Bay (he is horrible by the way). He is constantly forgetting to us the word of. Things like "Out the box" instead of "out of the box".

Nobody ever corrects this and it annoys the crap out of me!!!

Your biggest problem is that you watch shows like Judge Judy or the People's Court. Like all capitalist endeavors, they play down to their audience. You are just as stupid you just don't realize it. Everyone speaks differently. I say ya'll. As a lutefisk and pickled herring eating momo you probably like aggs with your bacon and toast.

If I were you I'd pick something that matters to get annoyed by.

The correct spelling would be aks. It, like many other versions of words accepted nowadays, can be said with more lazy mouth movements than ask. This wasn't started in the "ghetto" or even by black people like most think, but actually originated from a southern drawl.

I've lived in the South all my life, and have family all over the South. I have never heard a white person use axe or aks unless they were making fun of or complaining about a black person. We might talk funny, but not that funny.

It's slang, like "ain't" or "y'all". So yes, acceptable, depending on the situation. :wacko:

Ain't isn't acceptable slang, or at least it wasn't when I was growing up. I remember saying it once and my mother went off on me telling me we weren't trailer park trash and we were to use proper english. Now y'all is proper southern english and flows of the tongue and is much easier on the ear than a you guys.

Your biggest problem is that you watch shows like Judge Judy or the People's Court. Like all capitalist endeavors, they play down to their audience. You are just as stupid you just don't realize it. Everyone speaks differently. I say ya'll. As a lutefisk and pickled herring eating momo you probably like aggs with your bacon and toast.

If I were you I'd pick something that matters to get annoyed by.

Do you count? :wacko: