[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worried about my dog.

Perchoutofwater

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out today my dog of 13 years has a bladder tumor that looks like it has spread to her kidney and liver.

So, I'm guessing I'll put her down this afternoon or tomorrow. This is the second dog I've put down this year. Sad times right now. :wacko:

I'm sending positive vibes your way perch for your pup. :D

Geez, sorry CD. :D

Sorry to hear about it, CD :wacko:.

Bootsie's sister, Chalkie, is still with us but she is having more and more trouble getting around. She jumped off the bed the other day and got her toenail caught on the carpet and pulled it out. Poor thing was in pain for several days. I think she may just have a month or two left. I don't want her to suffer, but it's tough making the call. She's 14 and has never experienced pain in her life. In a way, Bootsie made it easier since when we got home, she was basically paralyzed so you knew it was time. :D

CD, tough going. 2 in one year. After one of my dogs pass, I let some time go by. Then, I start to think about another one. Each is unique and special in their own way. They cannot be replaced, but each one has it's own personality and joy they can bring in a family.

Perch, I hope the news continues to be positive. The little buggers can't talk. If they could, it sure would be easier to understand what's wrong.

I'm thinking about a standard Schnauzer at some point. Few inbred disease problems, no shedding. Just trips to the barber every two months.

CD,

My sympathy. :D

It's always tough. My Nilly, as goofy as she is, is still loved by me, the wife, daughter, my mom, and a few select others that can see the good in her.

She has Cushings and a heart murmur. (9.5 yo) Pants (loudly) a good part of the day, drinks water like there is no tomorrow, eats like there will be no more for a week, pees in her sleep, but we still love her and will miss her when her time comes.

My problem is, when she dies, do I want another? Man...many positives and negatives there. :wacko:

That's my situation, thanks for the opportunity to vent, and I meant no hijack.

My best CD!

rr26

CD,

My sympathy. :D

It's always tough. My Nilly, as goofy as she is, is still loved by me, the wife, daughter, my mom, and a few select others that can see the good in her.

She has Cushings and a heart murmur. (9.5 yo) Pants (loudly) a good part of the day, drinks water like there is no tomorrow, eats like there will be no more for a week, pees in her sleep, but we still love her and will miss her when her time comes.

My problem is, when she dies, do I want another? Man...many positives and negatives there. :wacko:

That's my situation, thanks for the opportunity to vent, and I meant no hijack.

My best CD!

rr26

RR, yes, it's very hard when you lose one. Been there, done that. Our boxer, Baily was also incontintent. When she slept deeply, the waters broke! The things we did to clean up, change bed sheets, and Febreeze jugs....

The thing I was saying is that NO dog can replace another. They all have their own place. BUT... a new dog can really help after some amount of time passes after a loss. I had one REALLY special dog. I never believed I could care so much for another dog as I did for Casey. It took time, but I love Badger (my present mutt) as much as I did Casey. I've had 12 dogs in my lifetime, and Casey will always be the special one, but Badger is every bit as important to me now as Casey ever was. Sounds like a contradiction, I know.

After a time for grieving, it's time to for another dog, at least for me. They bring an unwavering welcome and unconditional love, and make a household very alive. They instigate so much in our family lives, even enhance closeness between family members... I just can't imagine life without man's best friend.

Face it, if you watch "Dog Town" or "The Dog Whsperer" on TV.... you will get another when you are ready.

Sorry to hear about your dog CD. We went an picked up Duke today. He looks much better, but the vet warned us not to get our hopes up. He said the steroids they are giving him would temporarily make him better for any of the three possible maladies. He still looks horrible, but a whole lot better than he did on Tuesday morning. We'll just have to wait until Monday for the test results.

Perch, sorry this thread took a negative turn when you need some positive vibes.

I know there are a lot of dog people in here, so I guess I needed to talk about it too. My apologies for the hijack.

NP CD, I feel for you man.

Sorry to hear about your dog CD. We went an picked up Duke today. He looks much better, but the vet warned us not to get our hopes up. He said the steroids they are giving him would temporarily make him better for any of the three possible maladies. He still looks horrible, but a whole lot better than he did on Tuesday morning. We'll just have to wait until Monday for the test results.

Hopefully, it's a permanent turn around. :wacko:

Perch, sorry this thread took a negative turn when you need some positive vibes.

I know there are a lot of dog people in here, so I guess I needed to talk about it too. My apologies for the hijack.

Sorry to hear. My dog was getting old and his kidneys were going out. After about 3 days of seeing him like that I finally decided to have my dog put down the next day. He died on his own that that night. Hasn't been a day for the last 8 months that that hasn't bothered me for at least a second or two all the way to the end that little guy would do anything for my benefit. I swear he died just to spare me putting him down...

Edited by Clubfoothead

Sometimes I think it's best that I don't even open these threads because I can't help but then look at my two young and healthy girls and think about what a sad day it will be when that's not the case. But I know I have to because I know that it always helps to grieve like this publicly but mostly to hear someone tell you that they're sorry for your loss or pain. I know, at least that it helps for me.

Guys, I am so sorry for what you are going through. I really am.

Well, we were supposed to hear from the vet yesterday. The damned Aggie forgot to tell us that he had to go to College Station to stick his arm up a cows ass for continuing education. So no call yesterday, and a lot of worry particularly from my wife. I get a call about 15 minutes ago for the vet, and they did not find any cancer. He says it is has to be chronic severe inflammatory process. He says it is the worst case that he hase ever seen. He will be on drugs for a couple of months, and will probably have to change his diet permanently, but he will live! Needless to say I'm as happy as a hog in a peach orchard. Thanks for the prayers and for listening.

Good luck, I know the feeling well.

Well, we were supposed to hear from the vet yesterday. The damned Aggie forgot to tell us that he had to go to College Station to stick his arm up a cows ass for continuing education. So no call yesterday, and a lot of worry particularly from my wife. I get a call about 15 minutes ago for the vet, and they did not find any cancer. He says it is has to be chronic severe inflammatory process. He says it is the worst case that he hase ever seen. He will be on drugs for a couple of months, and will probably have to change his diet permanently, but he will live! Needless to say I'm as happy as a hog in a peach orchard. Thanks for the prayers and for listening.

:wacko::D:D:D:2cents::2cents::2cents::D:2cents: