[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Explain to me why California and New York set the trends...

millerx

No. I don't have the link to this topic, but the reason I ask is because time and again these two places set the trend for the rest of America when it comes to political issues, taxes, debt, and the like. I just don't get why the rest of America is suppose to model themselves after places that IMO that are so screwed up and with no signs of recognizing the mitigating factors to correct their demise.

This topic is on the heels of the new emission standards for new cars that our president is putting in place which is directed in large part because of these two f'ed up cities. If you believe that either of these two locations are doing things right, please convince me! If you believe these two places are screwing it up for the rest of America let me know what you think is wrong with them and why!

Virginia is the best example of how a state flourishes once it gets rid of the dead weight currently known as West Virginia.

We should do the same for the idiotic states such as California, Nevada, Illinois, Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut...basically the entire Northeast really. We've transferred billions to these morans in the past year and they still have nothing to show for it.

the end of cali starts today......

http://cbs2.com/local/Propositions.Results....2.1013947.html

Last week, the governor said he will consider shortening the school year by seven days, laying off up to 5,000 state employees and taking money from local governments, which likely would translate into cuts to police and firefighting services.

Tens of thousands of teachers also face the prospect of layoffs.

Schwarzenegger's warning did not sway voters, many of whom said they did not trust that the ballot propositions would do much to solve California's budget trouble.

Yep, and now our federal government is doing everything it can to mimic the failed states of California, Massachusetts, and New York. Well it is nice to see what we have to look forward to. People are getting out of California as fast as they can. I guess Prime Minister Thatcher was right.

Well, there are a few reasons why CA is F'd up, in the opinion of many... One is the whole border issue with Mexico, and all of the baggage included with that... drugs, illegal immigrants, etc. Secondly, parts of CA (Hollywood) are occupied by, in large part, "loonies." What makes it worse is that, in some cases, said loonies are making important decisions that affect the welfare of the people of CA as a whole. Combine those two things with the fact that it is arguably the best place to live in the U.S., as far as climate, and you get a highly populated and very expensive place to live.

As far as why CA and NY are front-runners, in terms of the rest of the nation "following" them in some instances, it's fairly obvious to me... They're both on the coasts. We've always been behind certain other parts of the world in some areas... fashion would be one example. What's popular in Europe usually hits NY and CA a year later, give or take a few months. Then, it takes a few more months (at least) for those same trends to hit the South, Midwest, etc. Same goes for technology, in some cases... It sometimes takes us a while to catch up to the few more technologically advanced nations, but it usually starts on the coasts. Unfortunately, in other areas (auto manufacturing, for example), we've never been able to catch up, which is why American-made cars, for the most part, suck (and have for years).

Yep, and now our federal government is doing everything it can to mimic the failed states of California, Massachusetts, and New York. Well it is nice to see what we have to look forward to. People are getting out of California as fast as they can. I guess Prime Minister Thatcher was right.

Let them keep all their federal income tax money instead of propping up crapholes like Mississippi and Alabama. Without California's and NY's subsidies, all the red states except TX would be completely ruined.

Let them keep all their federal income tax money instead of propping up crapholes like Mississippi and Alabama. Without California's and NY's subsidies, all the red states except TX would be completely ruined.

I'm with you. Lets stop all federal spending for social programs and go back to what the Constitution intended. Let the states take care of themselves and live with their own bad decisions.

Well, there are a few reasons why CA is F'd up, in the opinion of many... One is the whole border issue with Mexico, and all of the baggage included with that... drugs, illegal immigrants, etc. Secondly, parts of CA (Hollywood) are occupied by, in large part, "loonies." What makes it worse is that, in some cases, said loonies are making important decisions that affect the welfare of the people of CA as a whole. Combine those two things with the fact that it is arguably the best place to live in the U.S., as far as climate, and you get a highly populated and very expensive place to live.

The loony thing is pretty laughable on its face - or didn't you notice that gay marriage got banned in this state last year?

What I'm not surprised more people are making hay out of (and it shows just how short a memory we have) but Swarzenegger replaced Grey Davis by promising to return 2/3 of every persons auto registration fee and then keep them low. That's 4-500 buck per person, PER YEAR. At the time I didn't want the break, and I still don't want it now. That revenue stream's loss is squarely what has us in the crapper.

The loony thing is pretty laughable on its face - or didn't you notice that gay marriage got banned in this state last year?

What I'm not surprised more people are making hay out of (and it shows just how short a memory we have) but Swarzenegger replaced Grey Davis by promising to return 2/3 of every persons auto registration fee and then keep them low. That's 4-500 buck per person, PER YEAR. At the time I didn't want the break, and I still don't want it now. That revenue stream's loss is squarely what has us in the crapper.

Yep, it is the revenue stream. It couldn't have anything to do with all that spending and all the crazy regulation y'all have out there. :wacko:

Yep, it is the revenue stream. It couldn't have anything to do with all that spending and all the crazy regulation y'all have out there. :wacko:

We weren't 'golden' (pun intended) before then but we were solvent, but you're rolling your eyes at $1000/ per person every two years in the most populous state. Keep your head in the sand!

these voters are the same people that paid 900k for a 2bdrm house 2y ago. :wacko:

We weren't 'golden' (pun intended) before then but we were solvent, but you're rolling your eyes at $1000/ per person every two years in the most populous state. Keep your head in the sand!

And that money never would have been spent on other crap... :wacko:

California and New York are cultural, economic, and academic epicenters of the world. Thus, they are more apt to foster and test out progressive ideas before other, err..."less enlightened" states. Some of those new ideas work out. Some don't. The rest of the country effectively gets to sit back and wait for the lab results before adopting or criticizing our experiments.

California and New York are cultural, economic, and academic epicenters of the world. Thus, they are more apt to foster and test out progressive ideas before other, err..."less enlightened" states. Some of those new ideas work out. Some don't. The rest of the country effectively gets to sit back and wait for the lab results before adopting or criticizing our experiments.

Or maybe the "less enlightened" states are smart enough to know government can't be everything to everyone, and if you raise taxes you decrease industry, thus decreasing your tax base, until you are spending more than you are taking in. Most of the stuff the "enlightened" states have done to get themselves into the mess they are in the "less enlightened" just shake their head out. I mean really who believed a government should be paying for sex changes.

Or maybe the "less enlightened" states are smart enough to know government can't be everything to everyone, and if you raise taxes you decrease industry, thus decreasing your tax base, until you are spending more than you are taking in. Most of the stuff the "enlightened" states have done to get themselves into the mess they are in the "less enlightened" just shake their head out. I mean really who believed a government should be paying for sex changes.

I don't really understand what any of this means. So I'll just assume you agree with me.

LOL, really? Care to compare illiteracy rates? Unwed pregnancy? Violent Crime?

Tell you what, you stay 'enlightened', and we'll stay safe, rich and happy.

I don't know what your plan is this weekend, but I bet I have a bit more fun than you.

LOL, really? Care to compare illiteracy rates? Unwed pregnancy? Violent Crime?

Tell you what, you stay 'enlightened', and we'll stay safe, rich and happy.

I don't know what your plan is this weekend, but I bet I have a bit more fun than you.

What is there a Hee Haw marathon on or something ?