[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weddings held on holiday weekends

Czarina

Granted that I don't know these people that are getting married, so I am out of the loop on your obligation to attend, but they seem a bit inconsiderate for sure. I'd send a card. "Sorry, we have better things to do than fight traffic and spends lots of money to attend. Have a nice wedding. Love and kisses, Czar."

On the other hand..... it isn't happening during the football season. So one must look to the upside too. :wacko:

beyond really wanting to piss off 150 guests, we held ours over labor day weekend to give some an extra day off.

edit: i meant to allow people to have additional time in the area vs feeling rushed back to work. our friends and family seemed to enjoy an extra day in SF.

Edited by Bier Meister

Almost as obnoxious as holding graduations on Mother's Day. :D

The schools say, "What better Mother's Day gift than to have your child graduate??"

I say they are taking away the emphasis on Moms for the day. And our we supposed to ignore our own Moms to attend a graduation party? Just bad timing all around. :wacko:

I say send the gift, Czar......lol. I can see where in-season hotel reservations for the event would cost a fortune.

For obnoxious, how about holding it an exotic expensive location, then expecting the guests to pay their own way there?

Any excuse to go to the Caribbean is a good one, IMO.

One of my niece's was married on Memorial Day weekend. S'ok, I didn't have anything I wanted to do with that weekend.

This is a close relative, so not going isn't an option. Of course, it's an evening wedding and kids aren't invited. It's nearly 3 hours from my house. Sitter available on a holiday weekend. Pfft.

I think we're bringing the boys with us to the wedding and then getting them back to the hotel for the evening. Yippee. I'll drive my mom back to the hotel at some point as she won't want to stay at the reception the whole time anyhow.

yes, the wedding should be 100% about the guests and nothing more

I get what you're saying, but everyone I know who's had a wedding on a long holiday weekend seem to think that they're making it more convenient for their guests. Then again, I guess some people find functions such as these fun. I'm not among that crowd.

I get what you're saying, but everyone I know who's had a wedding on a long holiday weekend seem to think that they're making it more convenient for their guests. Then again, I guess some people find functions such as these fun. I'm not among that crowd.

Bingo. What some see as fabulous, others see as torturous ... I'm happy to shell out coin to see a daughter play in an out-of-state sporting event -- but cough it up for the wedding of a second-cousin twice removed that we met once at a funeral? Meh -- I like the send a gift idea ... :wacko:

Then again, I guess some people find functions such as these fun. I'm not among that crowd.

well there you go. i think the holliday is an enhancer for you. you are allready feeling obligated and put out, without the addition logistics of a holliday weekend. if you enjoyed these type of functions (or the people) you might be eager to attend and might enjoy the extra time with family/friends.... and that can really vary based on how close one is to the bride and groom (or family and friends involved in general).

my brother is getting married in hawaii in oct. while we will go and have a good time, i think doing weddings like that creates unnecesary challenges for guests.

- time: we have a lot or relatives on the east coast. it's asking for 24 hours on a plane.

- cost: when holding it at a more exotic locale, one virtually has to extend one's stay to make it more worthwhile. general expense is goign to be more.

it's almost saying "if you don't make it, you must not care."

it's almost saying "if you don't make it, you must not care."

Eh, I've seen invites that say "your presence is the gift" - I think most who have destination weddings understand that some/a lot of people just can't make it.

My wifes childhood best friend passed us an invite to a wedding on New Years eve a couple years ago. It would have been a six hour drive.

My wife and I got married on New Year's Eve - a Thursday that year. We figured that everyone would have a three day weekend after it. It was a great time. Well-attended. Big freaking party. As much a New Year's Eve party as it was a wedding reception. I can see the rationale.