[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carribean or Mexican vacation?

BeeR

Me and whatsername considering both - prefer as few kids as possible (not "family friendly"). Been to Bahamas so bag that. Never been to Cancun but thinking that might be more of a 20something drunk-fest than we're up for-?

Other than that, pretty open. Where have you been, how much did/didn't you like it and why? Thx

we are thinking about something like that for next april/may. we are thinking bahamas (i know, out for you), cayman, st barts, st vincent and the grenadines, and st croix vs the yucatan or ixtapa/zihuatanejo.

I really enjoyed the all-inclusive resort in Jamaica.

Hawaii (Maui and Kauai) were nice, but way overpriced for what they are.

What about Belize?

funny you should mention that, my niece is going there for her homeymoon, she's been there before & loves it; nevertheless, did you see this documentary on nat geo channel...grenades for crying out loud!!!

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/ross-ke...n-gangs-belize/

Rent a sail boat and sail around the virgin islands. I've done it a couple of times and am planning on taking another sailing trip next summer. Another place in Mexico to go that isn't as "spring break" like is Cabo, there is great fishing there. I didn't care for Jamaica, thought the people were too pushy, but yanks shouldn't have much trouble fitting in. If you go to the virgin islands, go the the BVI's instead of the US islands, as the US islands have become too commercialized.

Thx but pass on sailing, no interest (and yes I've done it) and agree on Jamaica, everything I've heard gives me no interest in being there. Not into fishing but might be up for snorkeling or even diving so Caymans might work. Not up on cabo.

I've been to Cancun twice and I've been to the Caribbean (on cruises) twice. It kind of depends on what time of year you go to Cancun at. It's very commercialized (safe) but you have to avoid anything spring break-ish timing or early summer when the kids get out of school (HS kids take a summer trip there and it's basically spring break for pre-froshs). There are more remote villas on the outskirts of Cancun and all inclusives that might be what you are looking for. You can unwind and hang out and then probably catch a bus into the flea market area if you want to do more clubbin or junk shopping. As far as Caribbean, are you thinking of a cruise or just going to one island? There are plenty of awesome places to go but I would say the price probably goes up for travel to get to these places. A cruise makes the price a little better because you just have to fly (or drive) to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. Plus they include all your meals (great food) and staying. So your drinking and excursion tab is what you can control.

My wife/I and 3 other couples just booked a 4 day trip to an adults only AI resort in Puerto Morales (20 min south of Cancun). The scene south of Cancun in the Playa del Carmen area seems to be more for adults and less spring-break like compared to the Cancun hotel zone.

We also looked into Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic but couldn't beat the price and direct flights to Mexico. We will probably try to do the DR trip by ourselves next year for a week (also looking at Belize and Costa Rica).

Edited by myhousekey

If you are looking for golf or fishing, you can't beat Los Cabos. But if you are looking for nice, swimmable beaches, I wouldn't recommend it. Snorkleing and diving are great in Cayman, although I thought the island was not very pretty. I keep hearing that Costa Rica is a great place and great mix of beaches, jungles, fishing, etc.

I traveled around Belize for 2 weeks. There are the tourist areas, then there is the other 99% of the country. If you're just going to a random resort, don't bother. It will be just like the resorts anywhere else with a couple extra trees. BUT, if you actually want to see the country it is amazing. Unless you join a gang and try to sell some drugs I promise the thought of danger won't even cross your mind.

Carribean v. Mexico - I've always felt that the island vibe is pretty hard to beat.

Edited by mrip

We were at a family-friendly all-inclusive in Playa Del Carmen (just down the coast from Cancun). It was nice.

werd - Playa Del Carmen is awesome - we did a combo of Cancun and Playa - both have their benefits but if you want quiet, chill and no kids running around - Playa Del Carmen is perfek.

Costa Rica is one of my favorite spots as well

Been to Bahamas so bag that.
What island did you go to? We honeymooned here on Grand Bahama Island and seemed like a night and day difference from what we had seen from researching Nassau resorts. If you are wanting somewhere else just to say that you went somewhere else, that's fine. But going back to the same country but a different island may still provide a significantly different experience then what you had before.

werd - Playa Del Carmen is awesome - we did a combo of Cancun and Playa - both have their benefits but if you want quiet, chill and no kids running around - Playa Del Carmen is perfek.

Costa Rica is one of my favorite spots as well

Costa Rica is simply amazing. We honeymooned at a small resort/spa just outside of Tamarindo. The staff drove us anywhere we wanted to go, including a beach that was completely undeveloped except for a little restaurant on the sand called Lola's. It was surreal. The people are nice, the food excellent, the scenery breathtaking. We dream of retiring down there.

Been to Cozumel several times and am going back in early September. Great diving, ok snorkeling, nice town center, not crowded and more of an adult crowd. We are staying at the south end of the island, which is far from town (relatively), but we don't mind as it is all inclusive and we have been to the town several times. The place is adults only and fairly reasonable Wyndham Aura , there are cheaper places to stay, but this is supposed to be one of the nicer hotels. We liked the Allegro, but that was 4 years ago.

Went to Cabo in May and enjoyed it, during the swine flu scare and it was empty. Lots of cool places to eat out and drink. Resort was nice, snorkeling sucked, not much for SCUBA nearby, overall very relaxing. Golf is awesome but pricey here.

Edited by paulzale