[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dooshey, Extra-Dooshey or not Dooshey enough?

wiegie

So, I am probably going to buy a minivan :wacko: soon. So I went to edmunds.com and filled out the "get a price quote from a dealer form". I was very explicit in my initial request about what I wanted. Here is how the conversation has gone so far (salesman's comments are in red, my comments are in blue

Hi Wiegie,

My name is Salesman and I am one of the Internet Coordinators at Joe Blow Motors. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to earn your business.

I am not sure how much you know about Joe Blow Motors, but we have been established in Michigan for over 24 years and many of our staff have 10+ years experience. We carry Honda, Mazda, Buick and Cadillac at this facility along with over 80 pre-owned vehicles. We are excited to say we were recognized in the top 0.1% of the entire nation for our sales and customer service in 2008.

If you have been doing some shopping around you know the 2009 Odysseys are very hard to come by and the 2010's are just starting to arrive.

If you had the choice, would you rather save $2,000 and have us find you a 2009 model or would you prefer the new 2010 Odyssey?

What are you planning on doing with your current vehicle?

Salesman

Internet Coordinator

Hi Salesman,

Thank you for your response.

I think I would prefer the lower-priced 2009 rather than the 2010. (I will say, though, that while my wife and I will definitely be purchasing a minivan in the near future, we don't have a "clunker" that qualifies for the "cash for clunkers" program, so it seems like we might be at a disadvantage for buying a car at this immediate moment.)

All my best,

Wiegie

wiegie,

Just thought I would quick follow up and see if you have purchased a Honda Odyssey yet. As I mentioned before the 2009 models are very very scarce, but we do have the 2010 models on our lot at Joe Blow Motors in Michigan.

Would you like to drive the Odyssey one more time or would you like to wrap everything up over the phone?

Salesman

Hi Salesman,

I still haven't bought a minivan. (I also never received a price quote from you for either the 2009 or the 2010 models.)

All my best,

wiegie

Wiegie,

You can imagine it is hard to price a van that has been sold out and is near impossible to get for 2009. I am showing 5 leather models left in the state and those might be sold/demos/trades with miles on them.

The 2010 models are about $1,500 more because the 09's had $1,250 incentive and the 2010 models went up a few hundred in price.

If you were looking at the leather 2010 model the pricing starts at $34,115. I am not sure if my manager would even consider doing with on the first leather model we have, but would you want to move forward if we could offer you the 2010 with the $1,500 OFF like the 09's had?

Salesman

Hi Salesman,

I don't want a model with leather. I was just looking for an EX model.

Wiegie

EX model is quite a bit less and personally I think the best buy on the Odyssey (alloy wheels, power sliding door, 6 disc cd changer, tri-zone climate control, security system, etc) The EX model is listed for $30,615 with the potential $1500 off on top of that.

The deciding factor would be the type of vehicle you are using for the cash for clunker. Reason being, the EX model 2010 Odyssey shows 18 mpg combined and you have to improve your current mileage by at least 2 mpg.

Salesman

Hi Salesman,

I appreciate your quick responses. I think there is some confusion as I don't have a "clunker". (I mentioned earlier that I think this puts me at somewhat of a disadvantage when buy a new car right at this moment. I will note though that I AM definitely going to be buying a minivan in the next few months.)

wiegie

Wiegie, Apologize about the mix up with the cash for clunker. You can imagine how many customers have been asking about that. I do have an EX model here on the lot (it is about $1,600 more because it has the rear entertainment system) but we can get the exact model you prefer. Is there any price you would commit to right now to buy your Odyssey and put all this shopping behind you?

Salesman

Hi Salesman,

I thought the way that this was supposed to work is that you were going to give me the price that you would commit to so as to put the sale behind you.

Wiegie

Edited by wiegie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the reparte(sp)!

It is still all BS!!! "You want the best seller and we don't have any!". Could be true, but too many fish in the market to focus on one type of car.

If i were you, I'd widen my horizons. Look at some Crossovers. Mini vans have had their day and it's over. They should be giving those things away.

Good luck, but don't focus on one breed/type of car.

Good luck!

I love the reparte(sp)!

It is still all BS!!! "You want the best seller and we don't have any!". Could be true, but too many fish in the market to focus on one type of car.

If i were you, I'd widen my horizons. Look at some Crossovers. Mini vans have had their day and it's over. They should be giving those things away.

Good luck, but don't focus on one breed/type of car.

Good luck!

I need seating for 7 (for when in-laws visit). Any cross-over or SUV that can seat 7 is a fair bit out of my price-range. (Besides, my wife thinks that Minivans look cooler than SUV's and/or crossovers. :wacko: Crazy-ass European preferences.)

Edited by wiegie

Step 1: Prepare an overview of what you want on your vehicle.

Step 2: Fax it to _____ dealers in the area with a cover page instructing them to contact you in whatever manner you want them to contact you; I would suggest fax (that way you have it in writing with their fax number on the top of the page).

Step 3: Instruct each dealer that they have ___ hours to respond to your request and that you will be making a decision by ___________.

Step 4: Contact the two best bids and tell them you will be by to see the vehicle for a test drive. Tell each one there is another vehicle you will be looking at that day and you will not be committing to anything while at their shop or the other shop.

Step 5: Go see the vehicles.

Step 6: Call both dealers and ask them to send over their best and final bid.

Step 7: Take whichever bid you like and call the dealership to confirm the substance of the offer; take notes on the phone call.

Step 8: Accept the deal if you like it. Tell the dealer that you want to come by and do nothing but sign papers and drive away; if you have to wait in their shop for more than ______ minutes, you are walking. If there are any surprises to the price, you are walking. Make sure your financing source and the dealership are in communication (assuming you're not financing the deal w/ Honda Finance, or similar).

Step 9: Ask them when you should come by to sign the paperwork.

Step 10: Sign and drive.

Be firm, but don't be a dork. This is a big expenditure. Treat it as such.

Good luck.

wow, if you just sub out "2009 odyssey" for "2008 odyssey", that is almost word-for-word the kind of exchange(s) I had about a year and a half ago. :wacko:

are you emailing other dealers in the area? good chance you'll get one or two of them to give you a firm quote, and they you can play them against each other a bit.

also, go to consumer reports and pay the 14 bucks for a new car price report. then you know EXACTLY what their cost is, including dealer incentives, buyback, etc. and expect to pay 5-10% over that, but it gives you a firm platform for negotiating.

I need seating for 7 (for when in-laws visit). Any cross-over or SUV that can seat 7 is a fair bit out of my price-range. (Besides, my wife thinks that Minivans look cooler than SUV's and/or crossovers. :wacko: Crazy-ass European preferences.)

+1

With 2 car seats in the Envoy now it makes things a bit tough.

-1 on the minivans looking cooler though.

-1 on the minivans looking cooler though.

I think our odyssey looks better than a comparable sized SUV, like a pilot. but really it is about utility. the lower deck (compared to an SUV) means you have more cargo area. it means you can carry more people more comfortably, and with the larger sliding doors they can get in and out much easier. I probably never would have bought a minivan if I didn't have a wife who basically requires one to tote her livelihood around, but now that I have one....man, it's hard to imagine a more useful type of vehicle to own.

wow, if you just sub out "2009 odyssey" for "2008 odyssey", that is almost word-for-word the kind of exchange(s) I had about a year and a half ago. :wacko:

are you emailing other dealers in the area? good chance you'll get one or two of them to give you a firm quote, and they you can play them against each other a bit.

also, go to consumer reports and pay the 14 bucks for a new car price report. then you know EXACTLY what their cost is, including dealer incentives, buyback, etc. and expect to pay 5-10% over that, but it gives you a firm platform for negotiating.

My brother went through something very similar this past spring when buying his 09 Accord. The difference being he was at the dealership and couldn't get the salesman to listen to him. The guy he was dealing with would not give him a solid quote without signing on the dotted line.

Needless to say he went down the road to another dealership and got the car he wanted for the price he wanted.

Mechanics note:

If you plan to keep the Odyssey beyond the warranty I suggest getting the manual sliding doors if they are still available. The power sliders are a pain when they break (which they do often) and also very expensive to repair.