[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Childress tried to bench Favre during Panthers game

Wolverines Fan

This is per Profootballtalk.com, so take it for what it's worth. Vikings homers, any truth to it?

Childress tried to take Favre out in third quarter

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 21, 2009 12:21 AM ET

As we prepare to head home after this long football Sunday, we'll leave you with one aftershock from Minnesota's embarrassing blowout loss to the Panthers.

Vikings coach Brad Childress attempted to take Brett Favre out of Sunday's game in the third quarter. When the Vikings were leading 7-6. Huh?

As anyone who watched the game knows, Favre stayed in throughout. And according to the Vikings beat writers, Favre was "not a happy camper" when he spoke about the development.

Childress did appear to successfully bench two other veterans: left tackle Bryant McKinnie and cornerback Antoine Winfield.

Found a second source.

Per yahoo.com sports:[/b]

Those who adore Brett Favre(notes) with every fiber of their being (i.e., every football broadcaster who has ever lived) and those who would like him to go the heck back to Mississippi and leave us alone after this season (i.e., everyone who would like to see the NFL Network talk about anything else for once) would agree on one thing: Be it age or any other factor, there were concerns about Favre dropping off at the end of the season as he did with the Jets last year. Starting in Week 13 of the 2008 season, Favre didn't have a single-game quarterback rating higher than 61.4. And after four straight games of 112.5 quarterback rating or higher from Weeks 8-12, there seems to be another unlucky 13 going on here. In his last three games, Favre hasn't hit a rating of 80, and he's been decidedly average despite a near-full component of offensive weapons.

By the third quarter of Minnesota's Sunday night loss to the Carolina Panthers, head coach Brad Childress had reportedly had his fill. Several reporters, including Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press and Judd Zulgad of the Minnesota Star-Tribune indicate that Childress tried to bench Favre in the third quarter, when the Vikings were up, 7-6. Zulgad said this on his Twitter page:

Favre sat conversation on sideline looked heated in third QB because Childress wanted to take Favre out. The QB declined to come out.

He also said that Favre was "not a happy camper." Well, that's as maybe, but this will give some serious ammo to all the "nonbvelievers" who think that Favre holds himself above the game and can't stand him for that very reason. It doesn't matter whether Favre, or Zygi Wilf, or the ghost of Johnny Unitas, thinks Favre should be in the game. Coach takes you out, you're out.

It puts Childress on a rough spot, as well. The Vikings have gone from threatening for the one-seed in the NFL to hoping they stick and stay at #2. The last thing they need is this kind of drama, with everyone taking sides, and Childress' authority usurped. They'd better do everything possible to put this thing to bed very quickly.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PFT didn't exactly quote that right...here's the original tweet:

http://twitter.com/skjensen/statuses/6884047643

Winfield and McKinnie admit they had bad days, and Favre said Childress tried to pull him, too. Geez.

Nothing about benching Winfield or McKinnie, just wanting to pull Favre and try Jackson.

was just about to post this. We'll have to let the media run with this tomorrow, because I did not see anything tonight. And at 7-6 it is bizarre.

If this was about resting starters, cmon Chilly, at least clinch a bye before thinking about that!

Regarding Winfield, him and Madieu WIlliams were awful against Smith tonight. He slipped on several plays and missed easy tackles. He might not be 100% yet.

Black and Blue all over: Favre-troversy

December, 21, 2009 Dec 215:37AM ETComment Email Print Share By Kevin SeifertTHE FLOOR NEXT TO GATE D-82 AT PIT -- You never know what you’ll come across as you wait for your early-morning flight back to NFC North headquarters. For me, it was the stunning postgame words from Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre after the Vikings’ 26-7 loss at Carolina.

Asked about a heated sideline discussion with coach Brad Childress in the third quarter, captured live by NBC cameras, Favre said that Childress wanted to remove him from the game. Favre made clear he refused the assignment but was vague about whether it was a benching or to preserve his health for the playoffs.

(If you laugh at either possibility, consider that the Vikings had already benched left tackle Bryant McKinnie, who had struggled against Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers.) Here’s what Favre said, according to the Star Tribune:

“Yeah, there was a heated discussion, I guess you would call it. We were up 7-6 at the time. No secret, I was getting hit a little bit. I felt the pressure on a lot of plays. We had seven points. So I think everyone in the building was like, ‘They’re not moving the ball, they’re not getting points.’ Brad wanted to go in a different direction and I wanted to stay in the game.

“We were up 7-6. Yeah, it’s not 70-6, but we’re up 7-6. So I said, ‘I’m staying in the game, I’m playing.’ I don’t know if it was exactly to protect me, or we had seven points, I’m not sure. That’s his call. But we talked it out. We didn’t have time, I didn’t have time to sit there and say why or what. My response was, we’ve got to win this ballgame and I want to stay in and do whatever I can. Now, unfortunately, I didn’t do that, but that was my intention."

Childress wasn’t nearly that expansive, so we don’t know if he actually thought that backup Tarvaris Jackson would give his team a better chance to win. I have a hard time believing that was the case. If it was, then Childress should hand back his recent contract extension immediately.

The Vikings had clinched the NFC North based on Green Bay’s earlier loss at Pittsburgh, reducing the significance of Sunday night’s game. You can only assume this was a clumsy attempt to protect a playoff-bound team's quarterback from the Panthers' pass rush.

At the very least, Favre was at his manipulative best in revealing that he refused Childress’ request/demand/assignment. That’s how Favre lets you know who is in charge. Childress is scheduled to speak Monday at the Vikings’ practice facility, and I have a feeling the NFC North blog will be there

He also said that Favre was "not a happy camper." Well, that's as maybe, but this will give some serious ammo to all the "nonbvelievers" who think that Favre holds himself above the game and can't stand him for that very reason. It doesn't matter whether Favre, or Zygi Wilf, or the ghost of Johnny Unitas, thinks Favre should be in the game. Coach takes you out, you're out.

That is the biggest crock of *#&%. You're up 7-6 and fighting for possible homefield throught the playoffs, you better not want to come out. I've been hating on Favre for going to the Vikings, but no way I'm going to dig him for this. Chili is an idiot.

Homefield throughout the playoffs wasn't the only thing at stake. Don't look now, but the Eagles are just a half-game behind the Vikes for a first-round bye.

If the Eagles win out (home vs. Denver, @ Dallas), and teh Vikes lose either at Chicago or at home to the Giants, and Philly gets the bye.

So...who wrote this article, some Nigerians????

Favre sat conversation on sideline looked heated in third QB because Childress wanted to take Favre out. The QB declined to come out.

He also said that Favre was "not a happy camper." Well, that's as maybe, but this will give some serious ammo to all the "nonbvelievers" who think that Favre holds himself above the game and can't stand him for that very reason.

Here's a blurb from Mike Florio this morning.

But there shouldn't have even been a heated discussion or a non-heated discussion or any other discussion. Chilly is the coach, Favre is the player. When the coach decides to take a player out, the player comes out.

Except in Minnesota, where the coach has created a monster, and the monster has decided to turn on Dr. Frankenchilly.

Dr. Frankenchilly...priceless :wacko:

Why would Chili want to bench him anyway? Granted he wasn't playing very well but neither was every other Viking. It was hardly a Jamarcus Russell situation.

Methinks Chili is getting nervous with the playoffs getting closer.

You can only assume this was a clumsy attempt to protect a playoff-bound team's quarterback from the Panthers' pass rush

This was why IMO...stupid by Chili, but I think it was because he was getting killed as the line couldn't stop Peppers...

This was why IMO...stupid by Chili, but I think it was because he was getting killed as the line couldn't stop Peppers...

You have to think it was to not get Favre injured.

With that said it was a stupid decision - up only one point with hoe field AND the #2 seed on the line is insane.

I am not sure where to lean on the whole if the coach takes you out you are out thing. One part of me says you can't undermine the coach and the other part says Favre realized that Chilly is an idiot and the Vikes needed to win.

This can't help.

You have to think it was to not get Favre injured.

With that said it was a stupid decision - up only one point with hoe field AND the #2 seed on the line is insane.

I am not sure where to lean on the whole if the coach takes you out you are out thing. One part of me says you can't undermine the coach and the other part says Favre realized that Chilly is an idiot and the Vikes needed to win.

This can't help.

Ahh but if the coach is an idiot, does he even know that he's being undermined?

If the Vikes tank it on the road in Chicago next week, then Wile E. Coyote truly earned that contract extension.

PFT didn't exactly quote that right...here's the original tweet:

http://twitter.com/skjensen/statuses/6884047643

Winfield and McKinnie admit they had bad days, and Favre said Childress tried to pull him, too. Geez.

Nothing about benching Winfield or McKinnie, just wanting to pull Favre and try Jackson.

Has PFT ever been known to quote anything exactly right? :D

My theory is that Favre hasn't been in the news enough the past 3 years, so there's some attempt here to get him media recognition! :wacko:

hmm, no Viking fans believed me when I told you Favre was going to kill you at some point. I believed I was laughed and mocked at.

How are those December stats going, Brett?

Thanks for that. It's extremely obvious that the Vikes would be better off with TJax running the show. :wacko:

Thanks for that. It's extremely obvious that the Vikes would be better off with TJax running the show. :wacko:

Brett Favre is your best option, no doubt.

Coming from a Packer fan, I hope he takes apart the Vikings from inside out.

On a side note: I do want AP and S.Rice to do well for my championship next week...

Oh, and yes, the Pittsburgh game really hurt yesterday.

Edited by The 13ers

Everyone seems to be missing the real reason why Childress wanted to pull Brett. Brett checked out of 6 consecutive play calls that were to be run plays because Brett thinks he's the only one that matters. I'm a huge Viking fan but I can't stand this guy sometimes. Grow a sack Childress and tell the media what your reasoning was and take back the team, before you completely lose it!

Edited by theprofessor