[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Real Estate Value

Footballjoe

Just got my Assessed Home Value for fiscal year 2010-2011. Dropped another 5% or so from last year. I am estimating over the last few years I lost 25% of the value. I know we are all in the same boat but just wanted to whine. :D

atleast our real estate taxes are going down!! :wacko:

This house is for sale across the street from mine.

It sold 3 years ago for $165,000. :wacko:

wow. that is way less than half the price of my place, and I live in a townhouse.

We bought this place in '05 and I'd estimate its lost somewhere around $50k. It sucks, but I feel like it could be a lot worse.

I'd love to move out of nj. 9200 property taxes and bloated house prices is no way to go through life son. 3-4 years ago I had over 100 k in equity. Now I have about 50k. Sucks

Seeing your house lose value sucks. Watching helplessly as the last remaining respectable homeowners move out, with ghetto trash replacing them, and you can no longer even foresee a day when you could afford to move, now that is the definition of sucks.

Overheard recently, two neighbor kids, ages 3 and 5: "Don't make me cut you!"

Still haven't taken the plunge on our first home, but starting to think about it. To buy something in our neighborhood for the size we're looking at it would be between $250 - $300K. Values have dropped a ton here. Alot of those homes were valued over $400K just a couple years ago.

Austin is one of the best real estate markets in the country...my home went up in value about 3% last year.

And just thank your lucky stars you aren't in California right now...sold our house back in 2007 for half a mill...today it's listed on Zillow for about $175. :wacko:

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

I built in 2006 and closed in August....right before the drop. I'm thinking it's held steady for the most part around here but really don't know since it is rural and the comps are hard to come by since these are all mostly custom homes. We were 8 houses and one couple down the street has been trying to sell for about $100k more than they built for with no luck. I think they are selling based on their mortgage and not the home's worth. The Mexicans I've spoken of before here moved out 2 weeks ago and their house is up for foreclosure auction. Yeah, they left behind a mess in their yard just like the little piggies they always were. Adios amigos...back to the fiilth you came from. Another couple lost their 2 franchise BBQ business and moved out the same weekend. Another couple got divorced and he's barely hanging on. It won't be long for him. The only people still making it well are us and the 2 retired postal workers that are enjoying their pensions and living large.

Tough times out there. No way would I consider selling unless I positively was forced to for some reason beyond my control. I'd love to be buying. It would be awesome to take the equity (I do have equity!!) and pay cash outright for a house in Florida and kick back with some simple job to pay the utilities. That would be a dream to have the house paid for and those houses in Florida where the market died just south of Tampa are awesome.

Lake House at flathead lake was assessed for $240,000 in 2000. 2010 assessment came in at 2.3 million. It pushed the annual property taxes up 10 TIMES. I had an appraisal done with 60 day comps and it came in at 1.2 million. How can they assess it so high? This one will be fought hard.

In the past, the assessed value was much lower than appraised value of property. I guess the State is looking for revenue sources.

Edited by Missoula Griz