[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Official" Draft Commentary "Thread"

Chief Dick

I think he's the perfect guy for the Colts system. Who do you think they should have taken ahead of him? In his last 26 games at TCU, Hughes recorded 26.5 sacks.

I just feel like we've got that kind of player in Freeney and Mathis. We needed another OT. Or an outside LB. Or a CB. At safety we have Fragile Bob Sanders and Bethea and Bullitt will be unrestricted free agents after this season. Lot of holes to fill, IMO. Taking a third DE wasn't high on my list. But I never am thrilled with who the Colts pick. So what do I know?

Edited by CaptainHook

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Denver have Omar Moreno. Have they given up on him already?

I was surprised to hear that Denver was interested in Matthews too, but that's what I heard during ESPN's draft coverage tonight! :wacko:

Why did the Lions draft Best? Did they think that Minny (maybe) the Colts (no) Saints (no) or Rams (possible, but unlikely) would have drafted him before they picked in teh 2nd round???

And Clausen keeps falling . . . I love it!

GREAT PICK in Bulaga for the Packers. Great value and a position of need.

Actually, he probably won't. All the scouting reports I see project him as an undersized DE, and that he lacks the coverage skills to be a LB.

I feel that Hughes was the 2nd best defensive player I saw last year behind Suh.

CBS says this about the Broncos pick

No. 25: Broncos select: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida Grade

Analysis: By far and away the worst pick in this draft. Wow. How can you justify trading away Cutler and picking this kid. He's a fifth-round pick -- at best. Now we know why Josh McDaniels will last one more year in Denver. Horrible. Just horrible.

I don't think he would last to the 5th but why move up 2 spots and give away picks when you could have stayed pat and got him in the 2nd round.

maybe im in the minority here (in fact i KNOW i am). but i really think if anyone can make tebow sucessful it will be mcdaniels. I'm not a tebow fanyboy by any stretch, but I really am sure that his mechanics are not an issue (lets face it, a handful of sucessful QBs have elongated throws). I'm not saying he is worth the trade, or he will be the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but i certainly don't think he's any worse than Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn. just my 2 cents

I just feel like we've got that kind of player in Freeney and Mathis. We needed another OT. Or an outside LB. Or a CB. At safety we have Fragile Bob Sanders and Bethea and Bullitt will be unrestricted free agents after this season. Lot of holes to fill, IMO. Taking a third DE wasn't high on my list. But I never am thrilled with who the Colts pick. So what do I know?

I feel that the pick was a homerun, considering what they got. Freeney is a stud, but he's been proving these past few seasons that he's somewhat fragile, and not at all implying that's what cost us the SB - but it didn't help - so why not generate some depth and let this kid mentor behind 2 of the league's premier pass rushers?

The Colts ALWAYS address their line later in the draft (with the exception of Ugoh and Pollack) and usually rock it with the linemen they take.

Personally I think their bigger need is a for a (unconventional for the Colts style of defense) big ole fat run stopping DT - maybe even 2. But why reach for one? Leave the reaching for JAX - who year after year reaches for a player. I suppose Indy could've traded their pick for quantity later in the draft, but to who and for what? We do need another LB, but has Polian ever let us down?

I honestly think that the Colts most pressing need is for a stellar KR/PR. They haven't had a decent one since Terrance Mathis.

maybe im in the minority here (in fact i KNOW i am). but i really think if anyone can make tebow sucessful it will be mcdaniels. I'm not a tebow fanyboy by any stretch, but I really am sure that his mechanics are not an issue (lets face it, a handful of sucessful QBs have elongated throws). I'm not saying he is worth the trade, or he will be the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but i certainly don't think he's any worse than Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn. just my 2 cents

The pick really doesn't make any sense to me. I'm still about as baffled about that pick as I was last year when the Raiders took Heyward-Bey with their first pick.

He's not a bad player, and may prove to be talented, but seriously.. He wasn't even the best player at his position when he was drafted.

I'm surprised that the Vikings passed on Claussen (or even McCoy). I'm not a Vikings fan by any stretch - but seriously. Tavaris Jackson is never going to make it. Sage Rosenfels has a better chance, but why not draft someone who can really elevate your offense for the next 10+ years. Rosenfels is nothing more than a stop gap until they get someone in there that really gets it. Opportunity presented itself, and the Vikings let it pass - at least on day 1.

Berman and Gruden touched a little on this durring the draft, but are you REALLY that scared that you'll help Brett Favre make his decision to retire if you draft a young, raw, innexperienced QB? In my opinion, that's all the more reason to draft one. Bring Grandpa in and let him tutor his young patawan for a year or so instead of just throwing "stuff" on a wall and hoping that something sticks.

I'm surprised that the Vikings passed on Claussen (or even McCoy). I'm not a Vikings fan by any stretch - but seriously. Tavaris Jackson is never going to make it. Sage Rosenfels has a better chance, but why not draft someone who can really elevate your offense for the next 10+ years. Rosenfels is nothing more than a stop gap until they get someone in there that really gets it. Opportunity presented itself, and the Vikings let it pass - at least on day 1.

Berman and Gruden touched a little on this durring the draft, but are you REALLY that scared that you'll help Brett Favre make his decision to retire if you draft a young, raw, innexperienced QB? In my opinion, that's all the more reason to draft one. Bring Grandpa in and let him tutor his young patawan for a year or so instead of just throwing "stuff" on a wall and hoping that something sticks.

No worries. Chilly has his eye on an under the radar QB he can groom to be the next Tom Brady. There's some guy named Crompton who has been shooting up the boards I hear? :wacko:

That's not holding the bar really high. One is a guy for whom we didn't have high hopes who's been a moderately pleasant surprise. The other is a guy who was drafted at almost the exact spot in the draft who has so far been a disappointment. So, if your criteria is whether or not he could end up being better than those two, you should hope to be able to grab that guy a bit later. No?

No worries. Chilly has his eye on an under the radar QB he can groom to be the next Tom Brady. There's some guy named Crompton who has been shooting up the boards I hear? :wacko:

Yep, he'll probably reach tonight for a projected 6-7th round guy. Chilly will say "He uhhhhh passed the handshake and uhhhh eye test."

I'm really beginnign to think that the Vikings blew it by not getting a decent CB in the bottom of the first round. They allowed the Jets to grab Wilson one pick ahead of them, and then after trading the 30th pick to Detroit, the Saints grab Robinson. Both of those guys I'm sure were at the top of the Vikigns board. They should have either traded up for Wilson or picked Robinson instead of trading down.

I'm really beginnign to think that the Vikings blew it by not getting a decent CB in the bottom of the first round. They allowed the Jets to grab Wilson one pick ahead of them, and then after trading the 30th pick to Detroit, the Saints grab Robinson. Both of those guys I'm sure were at the top of the Vikigns board. They should have either traded up for Wilson or picked Robinson instead of trading down.

5 of the 7 picks made before the Jets pick involved trades, so we would have had to get in a bidding war with other teams to get one of those spots. Not so easy as just snapping your fingers and making a trade. Spielman did say this morning they were talking to teams to move up at one point but the player they wanted got taken so they backed off on that.

I would have loved Kyle Wilson. But I'm not sure that they figured the Jets would take a CB there, not with Cromartie and Revis already on their roster. Still, before the draft started they were predicting up to 12 CBs could be drafted in the first two rounds, still some good ones out there.

I don't think we lost out on much dropping 4 spots and gaining 28 spots in the 4th round and also adding a 7th round pick.

5 of the 7 picks made before the Jets pick involved trades, so we would have had to get in a bidding war with other teams to get one of those spots. Not so easy as just snapping your fingers and making a trade. Spielman did say this morning they were talking to teams to move up at one point but the player they wanted got taken so they backed off on that.

I would have loved Kyle Wilson. But I'm not sure that they figured the Jets would take a CB there, not with Cromartie and Revis already on their roster. Still, before the draft started they were predicting up to 12 CBs could be drafted in the first two rounds, still some good ones out there.

I don't think we lost out on much dropping 4 spots and gaining 28 spots in the 4th round and also adding a 7th round pick.

Offensively, I don't think the draft this year is all that deep. Defensively, however, I think this years draft is really deep and some good talent will be found deep into the late 3rd and 4th rounds.

Offensively, I don't think the draft this year is all that deep. Defensively, however, I think this years draft is really deep and some good talent will be found deep into the late 3rd and 4th rounds.

For the Bolts sake, I hope you're right. We desperately need help on the defensive line.

That's not holding the bar really high. One is a guy for whom we didn't have high hopes who's been a moderately pleasant surprise. The other is a guy who was drafted at almost the exact spot in the draft who has so far been a disappointment. So, if your criteria is whether or not he could end up being better than those two, you should hope to be able to grab that guy a bit later. No?

that's kinda my point really. I certainly don't think tebow is going to be worse. therefore (in a black and white statement) he must be better. is he first round better? no. Is he better than colt mcoy or jimmy clausen? certainly not right now. it was a huge reach, to trade back into the first to grab tebow, but i digress. The original point of my posting wasn't that it was a good trade or move, because it wasn't, simply I don't think tebow is going to do poorly in this league and I really wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a solid starter.

Doesn't Denver have Omar Moreno. Have they given up on him already?

Omar Moreno... :tup:

I was surprised to hear that Denver was interested in Matthews too, but that's what I heard during ESPN's draft coverage tonight! :wacko:

I think that was a smokescreen. And I think it worked. I think the Broncos did exactly what they wanted to do with there QB/WR combo in the first.

And people can say what they want about Tebow, but the fact is that Sam Bradford has just as many questions about him as Tebow or McCoy. Bradford won what with potentially the most talented team around him? Tebow is a winner, and I think that's a trend that will continue.

Que up round 2....supposedly the Rams don't have a deal for pick 33 yet....if they keep it they could go multiple directions....They could look at a wide body to replace Caricker or possibly add to their LB corps with a guy like Daryl Washington