[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happend to this place?

gsmayes

I've been away from this forum after getting banned for what seemed like a year and a half, and I'm not even sure what got me banned. I was never a high volume poster or anything, but until last season I had been paying for thehuddle since it went pay. I purchase a two-year membership this season, because I found the content at footballguys to be lacking.

Anyway, what happened to his place? The football forum used to be a great place for information and discussion; now it seems like there's about 20 posters, and half the posts are complaints about multiple threads on the same topic or that such and such should be posted in the advice forum. The tailgate is mostly dead too, it used to be a pretty wild and entertaining place.

Seems like all the fun got sucked out of this place when all the "troublemakers" got run.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as I see it, there's too much sarcasm and plain out and out rude replies. If I were new to this site and read the forums, I would NEVER post. Call me a fannypack wearin momo but it's the reality.

You are a fannypack wearin' momo. Which is a redundant statement since everyone knows you have always been a FWM. :wacko:

To the topic:

I believe that there are several reasons why the quality of the Huddle took a downturn. However, I have no desire to get banned, or a time out, this late in the game, so I will just say,.... there are several reasons.

Most of the quality posters, which I tend to call "unpaid employees," have moved on to other messageboards. The messageboard is there to compliment a site and to draw people into paying for the pay side of things: the quality articles. Different business model here. If you were a quality poster and had the chance to become staff elsewhere, you'd probably go where you can make buck or two. Or at least go where the conversations are at.

Old business adage: Grow or die. The messageboard is going in one direction and I can only assume that the pay side is following suit at a slower pace. The 2 years for lower cost bargain can be seen as a couple things: covering for lower sales, covering for a potential lockout next year (no football), or to bring in money to buy more features for the site. I doubt it's all 3.

Dynasty material needs to be year round action. Redraft is the Huddle's bread and butter (and it should be), but dynasty material is usually posted around the same time as redraft material here. There is definitely an off-season compared to about 10 other fantasy sites. As a dynasty player, this is disheartening. There's competition out there.

There's been more conversations about politics, grief & loss, and global warming than there has been about fantasy football topics on the main board. Lucky to have 10 new topics a day regarding fantasy football. Dumbfounds me.

It's not all doom and gloom though. The messageboard / free content can be fixed. And with a larger messaeboard population and quality conversations, come a larger fan base that will become paying customers. You know.. build it and they will come. But you got to give the people a reason to stay. Staff need to be active on the boards: mingle people... mingle.

Articles are obsolete with next week's edition, but the conversations last much, much longer.

I believe that there are several reasons why the quality of the Huddle took a downturn. However, I have no desire to get banned, or a time out, this late in the game, so I will just say,.... there are several reasons.

Are the mods that trigger happy that you can't even express an opinion?

Here's an opinion and damn th epowers that be if they want to ban me for stating it.

1) The advice forum needs to be broken out into WDIS, RMT and trades. All these worthless RMT's clog the real questions and push them to page two in 20 min.

2) FF used to be about sarcasm... AKA smack. The new generation is geared so heavily towards self esteem that banter is somehow evil now. RMT's blow and I use sarcasm a lot and I've been rewarded with nasty PM's for it. If there was a place for RMT's, then RMT away.

3) The main Football forum is a great source of info... I use it as the main source.

and that's all I have to say about that.

3) The main Football forum is a great source of info... I use it as the main source.

I've found that the Tailgate works in waves; there's some very high traffic weeks and there's some much slower weeks.

I also use the main football forum as one of my main sources of info - and even though everything there right now is redundant, sarcastic and rude - as soon as Sunday rolls around it will clean up and turn back into a decent news source for the next 23 weeks.

We aren't technically "in-season" right now - so you can't expect a whole lot from this place - only the wily vets talking about the same things over and over.

I believe it is true that there is not as much stimulating football conversation on the main board as there used to be. I don't really know why, several factors I'm sure, but the one speculation I will offer is that FF knowledge is more diffuse than it used to be, so a place like the huddle football board doesn't stand out so much any more.

League drafting has been going hot and heavy for a few weeks now, and we're four days away from the start of the season; not sure I buy the "in-season" argument. As far as sarcasm and mean spiritedness, that's the internet. At the end of the day, you have to realize that we're all a bunch of anonymous jerks, and you have to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

Seems to me that the powers that be wanted to stop the internet from being the internet; if you try to enforce sunshine and rainbows through banning, people just go somewhere that frank and sometimes heated discussion is allowed.

I left thehuddle last year because I was disappointed in what I felt was a slipping of subscriber content. Simple factual and typographic errors where at an embarrassing level, to where it was clear that thehuddle was suffering from a lack of editorial control. I voiced these concerns and got banned; when I came back to the forum I was bummed that thehuddle had fallen so much.

Edited by gsmayes

I left thehuddle last year because I was disappointed in what I felt was a slipping of subscriber content. Simple factual and typographic errors where at an embarrassing level, to where it was clear that thehuddle was suffering from a lack of editorial control. I voiced these concerns and got banned; when I came back to the forum I was bummed that thehuddle had fallen so much.

So you didn't like the way things were going before, then you got banned, and now you've returned to find that you like it even less than you did the last time you were here. Many times this question is asked in a sarcastic manner, but I am asking it sincerely... why are you here if you dislike the place so much?

I've been away from this forum after getting banned for what seemed like a year and a half, and I'm not even sure what got me banned. I was never a high volume poster or anything, but until last season I had been paying for thehuddle since it went pay. I purchase a two-year membership this season, because I found the content at footballguys to be lacking.

Anyway, what happened to his place? The football forum used to be a great place for information and discussion; now it seems like there's about 20 posters, and half the posts are complaints about multiple threads on the same topic or that such and such should be posted in the advice forum. The tailgate is mostly dead too, it used to be a pretty wild and entertaining place.

Seems like all the fun got sucked out of this place when all the "troublemakers" got run.

banned for a yr & a half? Not even the Hubby can top that--(yet) lol!

So you didn't like the way things were going before, then you got banned, and now you've returned to find that you like it even less than you did the last time you were here. Many times this question is asked in a sarcastic manner, but I am asking it sincerely... why are you here if you dislike the place so much?

Good question. The subscriber stuff that I've used seems amazingly comprehensive to me, to the point where I wonder how the heck it all gets generated and updated.

As for the boards......people come, people go.

Good question. The subscriber stuff that I've used seems amazingly comprehensive to me, to the point where I wonder how the heck it all gets generated and updated.

As for the boards......people come, people go.

We're still waiting.

:wacko:

My irony meter just hit the red zone.

Hmmm, you're right, I should PM you all my posts for editing before they get published. My point is that it seemed like nobody was reading the in-season weekly content before it got posted.

I pay for a website mostly for the draft kit information, which has always been well done thanks to the large lead time they have to prepare it. I seldom use the weekly projections for anything beyond entertainment value, but I do like a weekly free agent list.

You can snicker all you like, but how many subscribers do you think pay for thehuddle, and then frequent another fantasy site as their main forum? I think more likely is that the dwindling forum traffic is indicative of a shrinking subscriber base, just as riffraff mentioned. And folks are leaving for a reason.

Now, for some constructive criticism, do you don't accuse me of just whining: If would be nifty if you could add rosters to the saved myhuddle teams, so you could get a weekly projection report for each team, adjusted to your scoring system.

Edited by gsmayes