[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting Lineup Controversy

golfishgrace

It actually worked out nicely. After all the name-calling (Remember I was defending Jeff George) I managed to get three angry posters to engage in a $100 bet each that George would take Minnesota to the playoffs. 10 games and 23 TD passes later, the Vikings were in a 49-37 playoff shootout with the Rams. (George went for 424 and 4 more TDs) One of the guys actually paid me with a Fedex from Minneapolis. He had called me a "pitiful ingrate" during the war....We remain friends to this day, and every Sunday he still shoots me an email for my opinion on his lineup.... 11 years later. :tup:

Hanging your hat on Grimmace & Jeff George is like claiming you were right about Matt Millen being the savior of Detroit after drafting Calvin Johnson. :wacko:

Detlef, I base my opinions on the body of work as a whole. Other than my previosly stated strong disagreement with the target in question, JUM has been pretty freakin good otherwise. I did not expect to see him come in here with his tail between his legs. I think strong critisism is in line. I do not think character assasination is.

That's it in a nutshell. If I ruled the world, the discussion would have remained narrowly and specifically about the topic. Disagree with another in the strongest of terms as much as one chooses, but stay away from character assaination. BTW, JUM was also guilty of this too, although he was discussing someone who was not a memeber of the Huddle and was not posting in the thread. I don't defend his comments. Not in the least.

Calling someone a cheat who is not even known personally is pretty frakin dopey. I've been called the same in this forum with no legitimately justifiable reason.... perhaps that might explain my tolerance and my position. Being the target of character assasination is not fun, especially when it is wholly undeserved. In this case I understand the reaction, there is a lot of room for critisism but still don't like it much at least along these lines. Attacking a man's character no matter how silly his opinion happens all too often. Attack the opinions, not the person.

End of sermon.

I hope you didn't tell him to start CJ this week

He wanted to start Tomlinson, T. Jones, and Jacoby Ford at RB/RB/flex - and bench CJ..... just kidding- seriously, he emailed me Sunday morning while I was on the way to the game - "Johnny U, CJ or Mendenhall" - of course I said CJ. Didn't matter either way, turns out. It's his 50th birthday tomorrow btw and I am Fedexing a card.

Also I kept the link to that Purple Pride thread but it stopped working around 2005. Can't find it in their archives or Google.... You think this thread has juice, shoot. You have no idea. Vikings fans are the most passionate ever. When Randall Cunningham got benched for George that year, all hell broke loose. I stepped in, 1 against 3,000, and dug a trench.

Where the hell are you going with thsi Viking thing? I am not following and am thinking it is not helping your case.

Can somebody just post a short summary of all this so those of us who read the first few posts and bailed can get caught up without having to wade through all the assessments...thanks

Apparently a husband and wife colluded in one of Jumbotron's leagues benching CJ. Jumbotron was convinced tehre was collusion because CJ was benched. The collusion blew up in the married couples' faces when benching CJ turned out to be the right move, making Jumbotron look like a total tool.

It's been great.

Apparently a husband and wife colluded in one of Jumbotron's leagues benching CJ. Jumbotron was convinced tehre was collusion because CJ was benched. The collusion blew up in the married couples' faces when benching CJ turned out to be the right move, making Jumbotron look like a total tool.

It's been great.

Pretty believable story.... cept it isn't what happened! :wacko:

It's been great.

Not one of my leagues, it's golfishgrace's league. If they were in my league they would have been booted before kickoff! :wacko:

It's been great.

Actually they were not in his league, he just made the assumption they were colluding because they were married... which made him look like a total tool.

JUM was also guilty of this too, although he was discussing someone who was not a memeber of the Huddle and was not posting in the thread.

Which makes it worse, IMO. At least he had the luxury of defending himself to the attacks being levied against him here. Mind you, he did so by digging a deeper hole (though I'm sure he'd prefer the word "trench"). But he did have the opportunity to clarify his comments.

And, for the record, this does not apply to your response to me, but I don't think he was assuming all married couples cheat in games. Rather, if faced with any other "evidence" that may point to cheating, regardless of how thin, that is more than enough to put it over the top to certainly cheating. A lame enough opinion that it deserves to be taken apart on it's own lack of merit, not allowed to be weaseled out from underneath on the grounds that it was exaggerated to mean something even lamer.

Edited by detlef

Not one of my leagues, it's golfishgrace's league. If they were in my league they would have been booted before kickoff! :wacko:

I was sitting on a branch with you, but that limb you have now climbed is way too far out there for any more company. Yer on yer own dude. Wait... I think I hear something starting to crack....

Wait, I actually had a branch? :wacko:

Just keep reminding yourself this is the Jeff George debate all over again. That one ends with you get paid. This one ends with everyone thinking you're a tool. Which, of course, may or may not be true. You may simply be acting like a tool or saying toolish things, but not actually be a tool.

Its funny how husband and wife rivalries come up a lot more than you think. Just last night I was giving my wife a good rodgering and 15 seconds in I was like "I win " !!

:tup: This is far from the thread of the year, but that was pretty good.

Why again would of you booted them :wacko:

Have :tup:

:lol:

Actually they were not in his league, he just made the assumption they were colluding because they were married... which made him look like a total tool.

My bad. I got Jumbotron confused with the original poster. I had been following this all weekend and still didn't get it right. :wacko:

Typical.

It's been great.

So many tools, so little time...thanks Club!

did anyone ask the wife about the move? is she gives a credible answer based on the state of things in tenn and the merits of her other starting players, then you have to let her manage her team. also, before any relatives join the same league, everyone should be cool with it and be clear that moves that suggest collusion will be scrutinized.

did anyone ask the wife about the move? is she gives a credible answer based on the state of things in tenn and the merits of her other starting players, then you have to let her manage her team. also, before any relatives join the same league, everyone should be cool with it and be clear that moves that suggest collusion will be scrutinized.

This is a good idea.

Interesting thread. I don't see why either side really gets so worked up about the other side's opinion. Nobody (outside of one poster) that I can see personally knows either party involved. But based the facts originally presented, I can see the merits of opinions on both sides:

* At first blush, it appears that benching CJ after one poor week (in conjunction with her husband needing a win) has collusion potential.

* The fact that CJ didn't outperform the other choices isn't proof there wasn't collusion. I'm sure there have been stone-cold cases of collusion that ended up working out differently than intended.

* Having said that, Tennessee is a freaking mess right now, so I can see why someone would bench everyone on that roster.

* I know a good number of wives who would absolutely LOVE to beat their husband on the last week of the season and knock them out of the playoffs.

So again, I understand both sides opinion on the matter, and don't see either necessarily as right or wrong. But my opinion, just on the face of things, corresponds with someone who posted earlier (Skylive maybe?). I tend to assume people are ethical until they give me a tangible reason to doubt this.

The only other thing I really take from this whole debate is how hard it is to commish competitive leagues these days. The league I run has a pair of brothers, a husband and wife, and two life-long friends who are kind of outsiders to the rest of the group (friends of friends who were brought in to help fill out the league). Of all of these groups, the only people I've ever suspected of possible collusion was the latter - but without any real compelling evidence, I don't think you can even raise the specter of an allegation in that regard. Relationships are more important than fantasy football, and if two people are going to cheat over it - well, that's on them. Not saying you don't need to protect your league, but there's got to be some kind of smoking gun involved before the accusations fly.

well she said that Chris Johnson poor performance "cost" her the last two weeks games, week 11 and 12

so week 11 her line up

starter points

Palmer

well she said that Chris Johnson poor performance "cost" her the last two weeks games, week 11 and 12

so week 11

her line up result loss 126 - 108

starter points

Palmer 18.4

T.O 15.3

Ocho 5 11.8

L Tomlinson 17.7

CHRIS JOHNSON 17.6

Tamme, 13

Austin Collie 11.0

K Janiwosi 4

Indy D 0