[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you could go back to college

Seahawks21

Thinking of going back to school before having kids. With what you know about the current job market and the direction the world is heading in, also taking into account some personal passions or dreams that you may or may not have fulfilled, what would you major in, and what kind of job would you be trying to line yourself up for? If computers or IT, what area of emphasis? I know this is an awfully vague line of questioning. Any input is much appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No change to the school, b/c that is where I met my wife. :wacko:

...h/e...

to do it all over again, I would have taken another year so that I could have double minored (maybe philosophy or photography in addition to the history minory I have) ... or turned one of those into a double major (to go w/ the finance major I did get) ... while figuring out how to spend more time (i) doing some interesting research w/ a finance professor and (ii) spending more time with my friends. I was wayyyyyy too serious in college.

But, above all things, the thing I wish I knew more about was how to be efficient with my time. I believe that I probably waste a TON of time on very unimportant matters, all things considered.

...best thing I ever did was take typing class in HS...w/o that, I'd waste infinitely more time than I already do..

Edited by muck

Go in to teaching. You are loved by everyone!

:wacko:

But, above all things, the thing I wish I knew more about was how to be efficient with my time. I believe that I probably waste a TON of time on very unimportant matters, all things considered.

As do all of us here at an online forum for a fantasy football hobby.

I'm about ten years younger than you SH21, but I just finished my degree in English, and will have my teaching credentials in June, with a Masters in Education in March 2012.

Currently "student teaching," teaching two periods of eleventh grade English. Seriously - it's a blast. Every day is entertainment with these kids. Sure, some of them are punks and some of them simply don't give a schit, but I genuinely look forward to getting up and coming to school in the morning. There's some frustrating days just like any job, but ultimately very gratifying.

Irish might have more to say on teaching...

I would seriously consider a career where I actually did something other than push paper or move electrons. I wouldn't worry about how much I would get paid in my chosen profession either. Just be the best you can at what you do and the payday will take care of itself.

:wacko:

As do all of us here at an online forum for a fantasy football hobby.

I'm about ten years younger than you SH21, but I just finished my degree in English, and will have my teaching credentials in June, with a Masters in Education in March 2012.

Currently "student teaching," teaching two periods of eleventh grade English. Seriously - it's a blast. Every day is entertainment with these kids. Sure, some of them are punks and some of them simply don't give a schit, but I genuinely look forward to getting up and coming to school in the morning. There's some frustrating days just like any job, but ultimately very gratifying.

Irish might have more to say on teaching...

Welcome to the club young man! You'll be glad you did. (Most days, :tup: ).