[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Best Live Band Ever

frenzal rhomb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Fishbone (tighter than a mosquito's ass!) more times than I can count.

Best band last 20 years is Jane's Addiction during the first two albums. They jumped the shark for Ritual de lo Habitual but their first album and Nothing's Shocking whip anything that came out of the grunge scene blindfolded with both hands tied behind their back and a leg chopped off.

I have got to break this down a couple of ways because I've seen a ton of bands and there are some that focus on the music and some that focus on the performance. Kiss and Alice Cooper definitely fall into the latter category and while both quite spectacular, I'd say the best overall show was Peter Gabriel. Not over the top but the stage portion of things was incredibly well integrated into the music (or was it the other way around?).

Best music performance has been and until further notice will be, the Grateful Dead. Not that they were perfect every night, far from it. But when they did have it together they structured an entire evening's musical odyssey that just left you at the other end with two questions, did that really just happen and when can I do it again?

I've seen Fishbone (tighter than a mosquito's ass!) more times than I can count.

Best band last 20 years is Jane's Addiction during the first two albums. They jumped the shark for Ritual de lo Habitual but their first album and Nothing's Shocking whip anything that came out of the grunge scene blindfolded with both hands tied behind their back and a leg chopped off.

Fishbone was great. Ill admit, I only know the stuff that everybody knows when the hit the mainstream for a little bit like Every day is sunshine and sunless saturday but they had tremendous energy

Fishbone was great. Ill admit, I only know the stuff that everybody knows when the hit the mainstream for a little bit like Every day is sunshine and sunless saturday but they had tremendous energy

Truth and Soul is the one to get, if just one. :wacko:

I probably have a more narrow vision than most, I've seen a lot of concerts but the majority were in my youth. But here are the standouts.

Kiss - Saw them in the 70s, For pure theatrics you just have to give it to them.

AC/DC - I saw them a couple of times in the early 80s. Angus Young never stopped moving. I can honestly say I have never ever seen a performer work the stage harder than he did back then. And how Brian Johnson can talk at all after all these years is a mystery to me.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Okay, it may be hillbilly music to some of you high falootin city folk, but we likes it down here. Front row center tickets (which I camped out overnight for with a group of drunken idiots) probably skew my memory of the show, but I'm pretty sure I got a boner that night from the triple guitars on Free Bird. It was either that or the chick flashing her tits at the band just down the row.

Didn't we go this category? Big John is slackin.

Best for me has to be SRV. As a warm-up no less and he blew the doors off the place. I'd barely heard of him until then and a huge fan ever since.

Battling for 2d (and assuming we're sticking to rock) would be REO Speedwagon (who SRV opened up for) Frampton, ARS, Yes.

Edited by BeeR

Pearl Jam is great . . seen them multiple times and I need to se when they play Alpine Valley again . . . I think it is this August. :wacko:

Tom Petty with ZZ Top was a great show.

I saw the Beastie Boys at Lollapalooza back in the day . . . the do a great show too . . .

The obvious:

Phish (best live act I've ever seen)

Grateful Dead

Neil Young (even in the last decade)

Led Zeppelin (never saw them with Bonzo but have seen Page/Plant and plenty of concert footage - they were a machine)

Not so obvious:

Paul Simon

Beck

Wilco