[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lost my Dog

Sugar Magnolia

It is my turn to pass along some sadness. I lost my 13 year old Gordon Setter, Griffin, on Xmas Eve. He had an undetected brain tumor that ruptured so he went fast. We euthanized him before he suffered too much. Just 5 hours before, he did his most fav job which was odor detection work. He seemed to be depressed and I took him out to have some fun. He pulled it together and worked for about 45 minutes. I noticed as we were working his lip was swelling. I thought this maybe was an infected tooth because he seemed really sensitive in the mouth that morning--it turned out this was an edema. I thought I was taking him to the emergency vet to get a tooth pulled. As we were driving there his skull swelled and he just was so out of it, he barely knew we were there by the time we got to the exam room. It was so sad, and unexpected. He had been failing in health due to what we thought was a spinal degeneration disease. As it turned out, it was probably a brain tumor.

I did not want to post this until now because of what Polk has been going through. It seemed too trivial. But, this dog was so close to me. He and I worshiped each other. He was the runner-up 2003 Gordon Setter Agility Dog of the Year. He was runner-up instead of the Agility Dog of the Year, because of points taken off for leaving an obstacle to eat some grains of horse poop in the arena, where we were competing :wacko:

He lived life to the fullest.

I have one dog left, my 10 1/2 year old Aussie named Lizzie. She had a 5-10% chance of living and almost died of a rare auto-immune GI tract disease that robs the body of protein, back in April. At that time she was in liver failure and congestive heart failure. Her disease is treatable but not curable. We think she has beaten the odds and will survive. If dogs live the initial on-set of the disease (which most don't) the average lifespan is 1-2 years. She just had bloodwork done on Monday, and it is as normal as can be. Most dogs with the disease end up living a retired life of comfort when diagnosed with this disease, because of muscle wasting that happens from the protein loss, and lifetime use of steroid meds that keeps it in remission. But she is anything but retired. She runs about 15 miles a week, does agility once a week, and odor detection for fun one a week. Pretty darn good for a dog of 10 1/2 who is supposed to be very sick.

I feel blessed that Griffey had a great life and never had any prolonged suffering.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

I know how much you loved and cared for your dogs, SM, and all animals in general....evidenced by the time you took to help us when our pup was training and going through some issues of her own a couple years ago with her hips.

My heart goes out to you at this sad time....it will get better, and the memories of your friend will become happy ones as time passes.