[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whitney Houston dead at age 48

tazinib1

It is a short list if you're going to limit it to tonality and clarity. If you want to broaden it somewhat to include emotion and ability to engage, I'd suggest some of these should be in the discussion:

Karen Carpenter

Edith Piaf

Diana Ross

Maddy Prior

Aretha Franklin

Kate Bush

Sandy Denny

Tina Turner

Gladys Knight

And on and on..........

Maybe it's just because nothing she ever did engaged me at all. I found it all to be uninteresting MoR pap.

I'd add Sarah McLachlan on that list; especially in the tonality - clarity sense.

I was always of the opinion that Whitney's talent was overblown. A pretty face with a good voice packaged in pop friendly packaging. Did she write any of her own music?

Edited by bushwacked

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This of course is my opinion which is why I said I have ever heard. I truly believe and stand behind what I posted. I have never heard a voice as big as hers that had that kind of range. Mariah can sing higher but nowhere near as big and with tone. She had a voice that stopped you in your tracks. I dont need to open up my musical horizons. I have been a fan of music all of my life . I just think her voice was above and beyond the best .

We're both entitled to our opinions. Many would make a case for e.g. Maria Callas being the best singer who ever lived. It's all just opinion and taste.

oh and if we're talking about pure voices that blow whitney out of the water...ella fitzgerald and sarah vaughan are two that come to mind.

You beat me to it with Ella Fitzgerald. My Dad, a hugh jazz fan, introduced me to her. I used to barely tolerate his jazz as he barely tolerated my hard metal rock, but when he put her albums on the "record player", I listened and enjoyed, instead of leaving the house--like his other jazz music he played at full volume. My mother eventually bought headphones for both of us :wacko:

oh and if we're talking about pure voices that blow whitney out of the water...ella fitzgerald and sarah vaughan are two that come to mind.

Nobody backs whitney into the corner

So for a "non-pop" song - you think that sarah vaughan and

could sing the Star Spangled Banner better? They had their place in their era for their style of singing, but I still contend that Houston's National Anthem was simply the best rendition ever for a "non-pop" song that has been around for a long, long time and that has been sung by untold thousands. Neither fitzgerald or vaughn seem to have the incredible range that young Houston had top to bottom of the register.

So for a "non-pop" song - you think that sarah vaughan and
could sing the Star Spangled Banner better? They had their place in their era for their style of singing, but I still contend that Houston's National Anthem was simply the best rendition ever for a "non-pop" song that has been around for a long, long time and that has been sung by untold thousands. Neither fitzgerald or vaughn seem to have the incredible range that young Houston had top to bottom of the register.

Agreed. I think the only place where you can say those singers are better, is that they may have a more appealing voice and style to some. If you're going by that criteria, then yes, you could build a list of thousands who have an amazing voice for their style....

However, I think that's completely different from raw singing ability. She understandably had a few pitch issues singing the Star Spangled Banner live, but you'll find few who can hit those notes with that kind of authority.

Apparently no one could blow whitney out of the water. :wacko:

That was bad, I'm sorry.

So for a "non-pop" song - you think that sarah vaughan and Neither fitzgerald or vaughn seem to have the incredible range that young Houston had top to bottom of the register.

not a great criteria for separating whitney from those two. whitney had a 3.3-octave range, which is outstanding. but ella had the same, and sarah vaughan is usually credited with 4-octaves.

And if you're only going to limit it to pop music.

I've always found the "best that ever lived" statements to be fairly pompous. As if anyone knew every talent out there that ever lived besides the last 100 years or so with the ability to record the human voice. I'll grant you the ability to train the voice, etc., these days are surely better than in decades/centuries past, but then again, someone made note how Houston could do it so naturally with little training...so who knows?

When I saw the headline of Houston dying, I reacted kind of the same way when I heard Michael Jackson died. A lot of talent gone by the wayside, which to me, is sad, but not surprising in the least. I thank Jeebus and Allah that I don't have to go through the hell that must be addiction, as that is a demon I'd not want to face.

I've always found the "best that ever lived" statements to be fairly pompous. As if anyone knew every talent out there that ever lived besides the last 100 years or so with the ability to record the human voice. I'll grant you the ability to train the voice, etc., these days are surely better than in decades/centuries past, but then again, someone made note how Houston could do it so naturally with little training...so who knows?

When I saw the headline of Houston dying, I reacted kind of the same way when I heard Michael Jackson died. A lot of talent gone by the wayside, which to me, is sad, but not surprising in the least. I thank Jeebus and Allah that I don't have to go through the hell that must be addiction, as that is a demon I'd not want to face.

This is the best post ever written

Wait, are we talking just The Huddle or all posts ever?

Duh, out of all posts ever written anywhere as Whomper knows all.

Wait, didn't he say that Houston was the best he ever heard which logically extends to best ever period? Hmm...conundrum...:wacko:

It is only February 13th and I have already fallen to arguing about Whitney Houston. I never liked her personally and never bought any of her songs. And yet I am arguing for her. I have GOT to take a vacation.

It is only February 13th and I have already fallen to arguing about Whitney Houston. I never liked her personally and never bought any of her songs. And yet I am arguing for her. I have GOT to take a vacation.

Leave your mancard as you head out the door...:ducks:

I'm sure you'll be back to heated American Idol debates in no time.